17-Year-Old Girl Shot Dead By Three Cops At Texas Police Station

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I think everybody better chill out until we know all the details. It's possible she had weapon, it's possible she did not. Police say there is a tape with sound, which there better be given that it is a police station. Until police releases the tape I think it's better not to jump to conclusions.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I found this quote from the article retarded:

White 17yo with weapon walks into police station and brandishes it at the officers and that is a "cry for help." I guess that is the young white girl equivalent of "was thinking about going to college."

"Help me get my ass shot off."

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
They fucked up. She's white. This will not just go away. They'll actually have to deal with it. God forbid maybe even apologize before they go back to work.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Oh boy, this went south really fast. If it was a knife, then they fucked up big time.

There is a video:

http://www.ketknbc.com/news/crimewatch/longview-police-release-surveillance-video-names-o

Shooting starts around 10:52.

Looks like she did have a knife and lunged at a cop. She swung once, missed, and he fired. Three cops were present, but it looked like only one fired (the one being attacked.) I think a gun was not needed here. Pepper spray or a taser would have plenty for sure.

based on these facts...:

During the physical confrontation, Officer Derr determined she had a large butcher knife which she was attempting to pull out of her waist band. According to the video, Officer Derr was able to to get away from Coignard. At this time, Officer Gene Duffie entered the lobby and drew his taser. When a third officer, identified as Officer Grace Bagley, entered the lobby, she saw Coginard had a knife. As Coignard charged Officer Derr with the knife in a threatening manner, Officer Duffie shot his taser at Coignard, but it had no affect on the teen. Officer Derr then discharged his gun three times and Officer Bagley fired her gun twice.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/01/26/3615294/kristiana-coignard-shot-cops-longview/

On Thursday, 17-year-old Kristiana Coignard was shot dead by three police officers in the lobby of the Longview Police Department. Coignard arrived at the station around 6:30 p.m. and asked to talk to an officer. Police say the girl was “brandishing a weapon” before she was shot four times.

I understand that officers like their lives and don't wanna die, when they shot armed black people, or angry protesters, i understand that officers may be scared away of 6-feet tall criminal, but when three adult men scared of 17 - year old girl... I think it talks too much about these guys!

Ok that is the fucking dumbest thing i have seen today (granted its only 7am). It does not matter the sex or age. IF they have a gun or even a knife they can kill you just as easy as a male can.

I am having a hard time remembering the last time I heard something as stupid.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
based on these facts...:

Hmmm, I didn't see the other shots. I saw one shot from the guy being attacked. I guess I'll need to watch again.

Edit: Slowed it to 0.25 speed and still only see one shot. She is on the ground before it escalates to the shooting, maybe that's when the taser was used? I never saw someone shoot a taser. It was only like 1s after she lunged that the cop shot her.

Edit 2: I did see Officer Grace fire her gun.

Last edited:

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
From watching the video, it looks like the guns and taser went off at the same time.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I find it unfortunate that he couldn't secure her or the weapon while he was on the ground with her. However, that does nothing to change the fact that they needed to shoot when they did.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
I find it unfortunate that he couldn't secure her or the weapon while he was on the ground with her. However, that does nothing to change the fact that they needed to shoot when they did.

Yeah, I agree. Had her on the ground for awhile. Its a bit far away, but that probably would have been good time to subdue her and cuff her. I think the officer is in the clear, but just being "in the clear" shouldn't be their objective. Handling the situation without anyone getting hurt should be. From what I've seen, not properly securing the girl while they had the chance was their error.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Yeah, I agree. Had her on the ground for awhile. Its a bit far away, but that probably would have been good time to subdue her and cuff her. I think the officer is in the clear, but just being "in the clear" shouldn't be their objective. Handling the situation without anyone getting hurt should be. From what I've seen, not properly securing the girl while they had the chance was their error.

Reports are saying the cop backed away when she started going for the knife while on the ground. Sounds reasonable to me, I wouldn't want to get shanked either.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
According to police, Kristiana Coignard entered the lobby of the police station at 6:28 p.m., picked up the lobby phone and asked for help, but she would not say why she needed help.

Officer Glenn Derr was the officer to arrive. When he did, police say Coignard indicated that she had a gun.

&#8220;She had &#8216;I have a gun&#8217; written on her hand,&#8221; Brian said.

A physical confrontation began when Derr tried to secure Coignard.

During the confrontation, Derr determined Coignard had a butcher knife that she was trying to pull from her waistband.

Derr got away from Coignard. Then, Officer Gene Duffie entered the lobby during the confrontation and drew his Taser.

A third officer, Grace Bagley, entered the department lobby and saw Coignard had a knife. Police say Coignard charged Derr with the knife in a threatening manner. Duffie then deployed his Taser at Coignard, but police said it had no effect.
Derr then fired his weapon three times, and Bagley fired her weapon twice.
Emergency personnel responded to the department lobby, and Coignard was taken to Good Shepherd Medical Center at 6:45 p.m., where she was later pronounced dead by Justice of the Peace James Mathis.

After initially detailing the events that took place in the lobby and before showing the surveillance video to members of the press, Dingler extended his thoughts and prayers are to the family of Kristiana Coignard.

http://www.news-journal.com/news/po...cle_f375c3e2-a72b-11e4-8b38-87b39dc5e154.html

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
So she should have had a gun? :p

Damn liberals denied her a right to a fair fight with their gun laws!

To be serious though, this is a sad example of how mental illness is still a major problem. This was a pretty young girl who had some troubles she couldn't figure out how to handle. Bipolar is no joke and makes people do things that are incredibly sad.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Reports are saying the cop backed away when she started going for the knife while on the ground. Sounds reasonable to me, I wouldn't want to get shanked either.
smart thing to do considering the Tueller Drill tests.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Nothing wrong with this shoot.

I will say though, the camera makes it very difficult to understand why he felt the need to get off of her. There is nothing inherently WRONG with it, but it appeared he could have just sat on her back.

Sort of like the mentality when people jump out of moving cars. Their body may act without the brain actually thinking.

That said...if I saw someone pulling out a knife while I'm wrestling with them, I'm going to get the fuck away immediately.

Mental Illness. Mental Illness. When the fuck are we going to stop ignoring it.