16G vs 32G

N2gaming

Nov 5, 2006
Hello Group
I'm about to buy a tablet and I dont know if I want to go to the 16G or 32G. So what makes a person buy a 16G 32G or a 64G model?

Is it just for music and keeping movies on it?

and if so how do you get movies on your tablet? if I watch movies on my desktop I just use my DVD player.

Btw, I am leaning towards the Toshiba "Thrive"

Thanks for clearing this up for me,
Jame

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The more storage space the more apps,movies,music,pictures,videos you can store as you stated.

Getting data on the tablet is USB most of the time I'd say. Guess Bluetooth and downloading are other options possibly available.

Video format must be compatable so some encoding may be required.

ew915

Jun 19, 2001
You can stream movies/music on your tablet no need for higher storage unless you spend a lot of time away from a wifi source.
Apps are like 5mb so I really doubt you can fill your table with useful Apps.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks Kenmitch, how much memory does a standard movie use?

Depending on source and resolution it varies. Using a Touchpad so I just encode them to m4v's using resolution of 1024x??? keeping aspect ratio.

Examples
DVD @ 1024x768 = 550-800mb's depending on length of movie.
Bluray ripped to drive then encoded @1024x??? = 1.6-1.9gb's depeding on length of movie.

Source from blurry looks nicer. DVDs are hit and miss depending on original quality.

Last edited:

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
i would wait a little while, they are about to refresh all the tablets in a month or so and ics will be out as well and who knows how well it will run on hardware in the stores now.

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
Right. What Kenmitch said. If you use DVD resolutions, it's about 800MB, if you go for BluRay and then convert them, they are about 1.6GB.

I tend to get the smallest tablet memory that I can and then try to use SD cards if possible. So if the tablet will take them, then get a 16GB and then a 16GB or 32GB SD card.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Right. What Kenmitch said. If you use DVD resolutions, it's about 800MB, if you go for BluRay and then convert them, they are about 1.6GB.

I tend to get the smallest tablet memory that I can and then try to use SD cards if possible. So if the tablet will take them, then get a 16GB and then a 16GB or 32GB SD card.

I'm with PM. I only get devices that I know I can add more memory too. I can easily fill up 16, 32, even 64 gigs in a matter of days. I keep dozens of sd/msd cards around as I am always swapping between my phones and tablet. But, if you are buying a device that doesnt have an sd or msd slot then buy the largest you can afford.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
If you're getting a Thrive, it has the SD slot. Save some money, get the 16gig and stock up on SD cards.

I've had a 64gig iPad, and never got close to filling it up. I probably used 26gigs max. It was such a pain to recode movies and stuff for it, plus all the extra movie viewers for it, I just said screw it. I have a 32gig TP now and only use about half. I usually swap out movies for trips or flights, and I use my MP3 player for music.