162,000 of people in Left 4 Dead 2

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I've been hoping for a while that they would make this game F2P since the player base had dwindled quite a bit. Was very happy to see them give this away so there were at least a bunch of full games to play, rather than the handful there usually is with all of the same players.

KT

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Makes me want to play some versus and slaughter some noobs.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
That's the point. :awe:

I think he means that you risk being the only decent-ish person on your team, meaning you have to hope you're so good that your team can't drag you down (assuming you play a team-based game).

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
466,090 Dota 2
138,595 Left 4 Dead 2
74,689 Team Fortress 2

free stuff!

I also got l4d2 and yes, all the players were noobs :biggrin:
I wonder how many players L4D2 had a week ago.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I think he means that you risk being the only decent-ish person on your team, meaning you have to hope you're so good that your team can't drag you down (assuming you play a team-based game).

Exactly. Good luck with that.

I do not like normal versus. I prefer my huge campaign servers and 20 slot versus.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ugh, those ridiculous modded and 16+ people servers are awful.

KT

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Fun as long as you turn the mic and reception off. I'm put off for life from this game, and I did pretty well.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Will be interesting to see how many people there are on Sunday!

I bet some people are trying to sell Left 4 Dead 2 steam accounts on eBay lol.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Ugh, those ridiculous modded and 16+ people servers are awful.

KT

actually 10v10 with buy menu can be some of the best gaming around. i used to play on the gc server. the buy menu rewards you for basic teamwork actions(helping someone up/clearing pounced teamate/using health kit on someone else). get enough points and you can buy really useful stuff, and much better than everyone racing to snag the best item drops. buying multiple tanks is the most fun you can have.

admittedly it sucks if your teamates are bad and dont understand the basic lfd strategies, but it really raises the teamwork ceiling. it breaks the zombie apocalypse atmosphere, but it turns it into a competitive sport with way more strategy and skill required.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I tried playing versus for fun with my friend two weekends ago, the people we ended up playing with were some of the worst people I've ever played with (attitude-wise). I hadn't played versus for years and I hadn't even played the game in a while but these people were obviously really experienced and being dbags the entire time, but when the other random people on our team left some friends they knew joined out team and started team killing us and shit. The trolling was so over the top we didn't even care, I like jumping on to play a campaign every now and then but there seems to be a group of hardcore gamers who feel the need to ruin the game for everyone else.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I tried playing versus for fun with my friend two weekends ago, the people we ended up playing with were some of the worst people I've ever played with (attitude-wise). I hadn't played versus for years and I hadn't even played the game in a while but these people were obviously really experienced and being dbags the entire time, but when the other random people on our team left some friends they knew joined out team and started team killing us and shit. The trolling was so over the top we didn't even care, I like jumping on to play a campaign every now and then but there seems to be a group of hardcore gamers who feel the need to ruin the game for everyone else.

I've put in over 500 hours between the two games (far more for the original), and you just summed up basically the problem with online gaming as a whole and why it will never replace single player.

With a good group of people, or with friends, it's phenomenal. With a few dicks and douchebags, your night is ruined. Often times, as adults, that might be one of your only free nights to game.

My favorite would be the people who would join, immediately change their name to another member's STEAM name (to make it harder to kick them), then blare racist music over the mic while teamkilling everyone. Or even better, the ones who would play normally up until the group nearly reaches the safe room, then do all the things I just mentioned.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007

I never had this happen and played 2500 hours of Left 4 Dead 2. Though I played versus when first came out and during The Passing DLC release.

Had some awesome Realism Versus games with a guy who had to whisper because his wife was asleep.

Though I don't play normal versus anymore. Mainly 20 slots or huge campaign severs with 10 or more people.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I hate it when I'm on a team of four and the other three people know each other and are basically griefing me. When playership got so low that I kept connecting to the same server as those dbags, I almost stopped playing. But what really got me to quit was seeing people hacking with impunity. I stopped playing most multiplayer games after that and TF2 incidents and seeing DOD:S hacked, etc. Valve really needs to stop the hacking to retain people. This publicity stunt of theirs won't work in the long run if they don't stop the hacks.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I hate it man I got to the end of the campaign and then the stupid "Server attempting to reconnect" and then it just counts down 25 seconds, meanwhile my internet is happily plugging away the entire time.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I hate it man I got to the end of the campaign and then the stupid "Server attempting to reconnect" and then it just counts down 25 seconds, meanwhile my internet is happily plugging away the entire time.

That happens a lot on Left 4 Dead 2. It even happen on Left 4 Dead.

This is why I have my own server.

cyphilis

May 7, 2008
3 games in a row,. me and 1 friend and 2 randoms on one team. The other team on level 2 or 3, decide to just camp in the safe room because they keep getting beat. Happened three times, and three times in a row I show patience and just keep attacking until we kill them and repeat in the final level or two. Noobs think they can come in and trash my game,.. but I will not let it happen. :)

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
3 games in a row,. me and 1 friend and 2 randoms on one team. The other team on level 2 or 3, decide to just camp in the safe room because they keep getting beat. Happened three times, and three times in a row I show patience and just keep attacking until we kill them and repeat in the final level or two. Noobs think they can come in and trash my game,.. but I will not let it happen. :)

You can run, you can hide, but cyphilis always gets you in the end.

Last edited: