16 year old teenager beaten, tazed and sat on by security guard and police officers at hospital takes plea deal

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014

What would be the appropriate procedure in subduing a 16 year old teenager with suspicion of mental illness?

edit: embedding

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Fucked up. Tell us again how mental health isn't stigmatized in this country. Nothing like another head injury to clear it up

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
whats interesting is other than pushing his mother, who else was the kid threatening?
Then you have that fat wannabee sucurity guard take matter into his own hands.....
Now we find that Deputy Polson id not on the force anymore.....
Polson knows he screwed up but good!!

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005

What would be the appropriate procedure in subduing a 16 year old teenager with suspicion of mental illness?

edit: embedding

I didn't see an immediate need to subdue, but if I did, best practice is to swarm them with several folks control them, and restrain and/or sedate them. Ideally get 5 on 1 mixed team made up of hands on control techniques trained folks and nursing staff. One person assigned to each limb, and one to inject. We'd also have involved a Dr for their determination that restraining/forced treatment was medically necessary. (and also for authorization to restrain/sedate.)

I avoided solo takedowns unless they were actively attacking and disengaging was not an option.

Yes, I actually used to do that for a number of years as a part time gig to make extra money. The folks I worked with were all on the same page of using force as a last resort, and treating patients as patients. Almost all of us had backgrounds in Fire/EMS/ folks going into or retired from police work etc. and were accustomed to dealing with folks under stress.