16 nations want to challenge SC immigration law

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20111108/US.Immigration.Lawsuit/

"COLUMBIA, S.C. — Sixteen Latin American and Caribbean nations have asked to join in the U.S. Department of Justice's lawsuit against South Carolina's new illegal immigration law, citing concerns for their citizens.

Mexico, Honduras, Brazil, Ecuador and Chile and other countries filed papers Tuesday, asking to join the Justice Department's litigation in Charleston.

The law would require law officers who make a traffic stop to call federal immigration officials if they suspect someone is in the country illegally. Opponents say the measure would encourage racial profiling.

The 16 nations state in their filings that the law would lead to state-sanctioned discrimination against their citizens."

If those countries are so concerned then how about they take the first step and take their illegal citizens back with open arms.

Also the White house is in bed with the nations sending illegals here, this is just more proof that they all need voted out of office in 2012.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Don't see the issue.
Its pretty clear if there is an issue during a traffic stop.

If the person has a government issued drivers license there obviously wouldn't be a problem.

If the person doesn't have a government issued drivers license then there is obviously an issue and the persons identity needs to be confirmed regardless of their legal status. If that check returns the fact that they are an illegal immigrant then they should be detained and deported.

If Mexico is so concerned with their illegal aliens in the United States then maybe it should do something to secure its northern border. All I hear is Mexico bitching about guns entering their country but they do nothing to stop them because they don't want their norther border secured. Hell, look at their southern border. That shit is on lockdown.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
So the only two options available to us are being "in bed with illegals" or harassing brown people? Fighting illegal immigration isn't a blanket justification for any law that claims to do so, regardless of the other consequences of the law.

The idea might work if "suspect someone is in the country illegally" was well defined with a high threshold to ensure LEGAL citizens weren't being targeted. But that doesn't seem to be the case, and I wonder how likely it is that such a law could even be written.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Don't see the issue.
Its pretty clear if there is an issue during a traffic stop.

If the person has a government issued drivers license there obviously wouldn't be a problem.

If the person doesn't have a government issued drivers license then there is obviously an issue and the persons identity needs to be confirmed regardless of their legal status. If that check returns the fact that they are an illegal immigrant then they should be detained and deported.

I didn't see anything about "having a drivers license" in the immigration law. All it takes is suspicion on the part of the officer and he or she is REQUIRED to contact federal immigration authorities. That seems like an awfully broad definition to me. I don't think I'd oppose the law if it said anything about legal identification being sufficient to avoid the extra hassle.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
So the only two options available to us are being "in bed with illegals" or harassing brown people? Fighting illegal immigration isn't a blanket justification for any law that claims to do so, regardless of the other consequences of the law.

The idea might work if "suspect someone is in the country illegally" was well defined with a high threshold to ensure LEGAL citizens weren't being targeted. But that doesn't seem to be the case, and I wonder how likely it is that such a law could even be written.

Anything is better than what the Government is doing about it...Which is nothing, unless you count filing lawsuits to stop deporting illegal aliens from the country as "doing something".

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
If these countries are so concerned about THEIR citizens why don't they just take them all back and leave us the fuck alone?

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Anything is better than what the Government is doing about it...Which is nothing, unless you count filing lawsuits to stop deporting illegal aliens from the country as "doing something".

In other words you don't give a crap about American citizens being harassed because they aren't white.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
I didn't see anything about "having a drivers license" in the immigration law. All it takes is suspicion on the part of the officer and he or she is REQUIRED to contact federal immigration authorities. That seems like an awfully broad definition to me. I don't think I'd oppose the law if it said anything about legal identification being sufficient to avoid the extra hassle.

Per the OP
The law would require law officers who make a traffic stop to call federal immigration officials if they suspect someone is in the country illegally.

Not sure how someone who has a verifiable government issued drivers license and/or ID would be suspected of being an illegal alien.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
In other words you don't give a crap about American citizens being harassed because they aren't white.

Look, let's be pragmatic, American citizens (minorities) are already profiled and harassed because they aren't white. At least with this law we can also work on our illegal immigration problem.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
hmm 16? that is 16 reasons its a good law then.

take a look at all of those countries' immigration laws. i would almost be willing to bet money that they are equal to or harsher than US immigration laws.

mexico vigorously enforces its own southern border, on account of not want any south/central americans coming in to mexico.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Several years ago I read an estimation of just how much money illegals send out of the country to their families back in their home land. I don't remember the exact figure, but it was staggering. I would guess that money has something to do with the countries interest in this, I doubt it is for purely altruistic reasons.

I will try and find the most recent estimations as to just how much money is sent out of the country. I guess whether or not this is a big problem is a matter of personal opinion.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I'm just curious how many people here really give a crap about the implementation of this law. I mean after all if certain parts are not constitutional, it can be modified appropriately right? Aren't the opponents mostly just upset that anyone is trying to stop immigration at all?

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
According to this article, which uses an AP article and the Pew Hispanic Center as a source, some $10 Billion dollars are sent to Mexico annually by illegal immigrants.

$60 billion dollars are earned by illegal aliens in the U.S. each year. One of Mexico's largest revenue streams (after exports and oil sales) consists of money sent home by legal immigrants and illegal aliens working in the U.S. Economists say this will help Mexico reduce its $17.8 billion defecit and may bolster the peso. $10 billion dollars (as of 2003) are sent back to Mexico annually, according to the Pew Hispanic Center, reported in an Associated Press article, up $800 million from the previous year. ($9 billion dollars were previously sent back annually, according to a September 25, 2002 NPR report). That figure equals what Mexico earns annually from tourism. This is a massive transfer of wealth from America - essentially from America's displaced working poor - to Mexico.

http://www.cairco.org/econ/econ.html

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
If they will pay for the extra work go for it otherwise I doubt many people will give a crap.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Look, let's be pragmatic, American citizens (minorities) are already profiled and harassed because they aren't white. At least with this law we can also work on our illegal immigration problem.

Just because it happens already doesn't make it correct.
In fact it should be something we would want to eliminate, not encourage.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003

Bad argument. Everyone profiles whether you like it or not, white people are profiled as more likely to be serial killers etc. Doesn't make it right but everyone gets profiled. Arabs are profiled as most likely to be terrorists...Sucks for them. But so what, most modern day terrorists are Arabs. Just like most serial killers in this country are white and most illegals are Mexican, to not profile would gut the CIA/FBI and Police of their best workers [who do profile ALOT].

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Kick 'em all out. The illegals are ruining this country by driving down wages; committing heinous crimes; spitting; loitering; and taking up space in our overcrowded schools. They eat with their right hand and wipe their ass of shit with their left. Deport them all.

Last edited:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009

Complete bullshit. But I guess someone had to bring out the race card.

As for those 16 countries well I say fuck them because they don't pay for services the US tax payer provides to illegals streaming in from those nations.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Per the OP

Not sure how someone who has a verifiable government issued drivers license and/or ID would be suspected of being an illegal alien.

I don't know, but since the law doesn't specify, it sort of puts a lot of the authority/responsibility on the officer in question. And I'm not sure that's the best option.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

No, doing "something" without fully considering what's being done is rarely better than doing nothing. Because the impact illegals have on our country is limited to their very, very marginal place in society. On the other hand, the government has enormous authority and ability to impact the society we live in. So encouraging random action by the government in the name of doing something seems like a less than wise move.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
It means that their citizens who are in the U.S. *legally* will be profiled and harassed as a result of this law.
Yes.

I'm all for fucking with illegals, but legals really don't need or deserve the negative treatment.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Bad argument. Everyone profiles whether you like it or not, white people are profiled as more likely to be serial killers etc. Doesn't make it right but everyone gets profiled. Arabs are profiled as most likely to be terrorists...Sucks for them. But so what, most modern day terrorists are Arabs. Just like most serial killers in this country are white and most illegals are Mexican, to not profile would gut the CIA/FBI and Police of their best workers [who do profile ALOT].

What makes you say that? In other words, can you back that up with some data or relevant experience?