16:9 4K vs curved 21:9

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
From a gaming perspective which would have a bigger wow factor? They would be pretty similar in size, 32 vs 34, but I think the aspect ratios will make a huge difference.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Did we seriously just make the same thread within ONE MINUTE of each other? How in G-D's name is that even possible? Are you me somehow? What is going on here? Sorry I'm just kind of in shock right now. And no, I didn't copy your thread or even see it until after I made mine.
To answer you, I think 3440x1440 is superior to 4K for gaming. The experience is impacted in a more significant way. You actually see more on screen rather than just see the same as you always have, just sharper as with 4K.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Lol looks like we did. But yea, I've been contemplating between one of those korean 32" 4k monitor and the LG 34uc88 for some time now but just haven't decided to pull the trigger yet. I have an AMD card so freesync is a must and while both of those monitors have it, I feel like the ultra wide viewing angle will bring a new level of gaming experience than 4k. I'm sure 4k will give a slightly sharper picture but that's really about it. I was trying to tell myself that I can run at 1080p for the time being without much image degradation on my 390x until I can go crossfire or something better. But I'm starting to see now that it's pointless to go 4k when I can't fully enjoy it right out of the box.

So I think we both know the answer but really just need others to tell us that we made the right decision. LOL

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
I believe for gaming that ultrawide is better for a few reasons:
1. Better aspect ratio for gaming.
2. Fewer total pixels for a 1440 ultrawide vs. a 2160 16:9 so that means higher fps.
3. Higher refresh rates on the panels.
4. Wider Freesync ranges.

Worse because:
1. Much more expensive than a 4k screen.

I went with a 4k lg 27u88 as I'd rather have a 4k screen for regular use, especially as I have two monitors and an ultrawide plus another monitor would be to wide on my desktop.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Wife said yes and with Fry's having the 34uc88 on sale I'll be picking one up tonight. Got a 10ft Displayport cable from amazon with same day shipping coming in too since I read the one included is only 2ft. Can't wait.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Pulled the trigger on the Asus ROG. Should be picking it up today from Newegg. I'll share my opinion and compare it to my 1440p/144hz Acer. Damn it all this thing was expensive. I was hesitant to click the buy button, especially since I don't use credit for anything. As soon as I click buy, my cash is gone. But I knew I had to have it so I'll come back with my impressions. My biggest concern right now is whether or not this gigantic SOB of a monitor will fit on my desk!

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
On the flip side if you don't like black bars (or a sudden loss in display area) then watching 16:9 TV shows and video is going to be a real pain on a Ultrawide. So you really have to consider usage. Also while Ultrawide is amazing when it works, alot of games will only support 16:9 resolutions natively, and using widescreen mods can get you banned in certain online games.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Damn I think I got a bad monitor. The moment I turn it on without any input connected I'm getting these random flashing pixels all over the screen. They look to be individual pixels and they only flash for about a split second. They're a mix of red, green blue and what seems to be white. Happens when I have it hooked up too. I played with all the settings and tried resetting it but it's still happening. I power the old Dell on with no input and it's perfectly black. Thought it might be a bad power source so I tried it at another outlet but no luck.

I think I'm going to repackage it tonight and exchange it tomorrow.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Holy crap this thing is incredible. I'm never going back to 16:9. Not possible. One game of Rocketleague and I was cemented in the ultrawide world forever. No dead pixels or any other issues so far. Performance of 100hz is pretty indistinguishable from 144hz. Its basically like my old monitor, just wider. I made the right choice. Its a damn killer. Played BF4 also. Amazing. Simply amazing.
When I clicked the buy button and saw the price with taxes, I felt a little sick. Not now. Worth every cent.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Holy crap this thing is incredible. I'm never going back to 16:9. Not possible. One game of Rocketleague and I was cemented in the ultrawide world forever. No dead pixels or any other issues so far. Performance of 100hz is pretty indistinguishable from 144hz. Its basically like my old monitor, just wider. I made the right choice. Its a damn killer. Played BF4 also. Amazing. Simply amazing.
When I clicked the buy button and saw the price with taxes, I felt a little sick. Not now. Worth every cent.

Glad you like yours and had much better luck than me. After trying everything I could think of with no luck I packaged it back up and its going back today. I don't know if laying it down flat in the back seat of my car was the wisest way to transport it. It is pretty low with sport suspension and very low profile tires so the ride can be on the rough side. So I'm going to have the wife go with me after work to exchange and transport it in her suv, with a couple of blankets underneath. lol

Also, coming from triple 16:10 24s it looks a little underwhelming. I think a 37" or maybe even a 40" 21:9 would be jaw dropping. But I think in time I'll get use it and having no bezels is going to be great.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Sorry you got a dud. Packaging that thing back up must have sucked. Let us know if the next one is better.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I run triple monitor and I love it when it works. Huge FOV which is extremely impressive. Played nearly all my hours of BF4 on triple monitor with a 290, which worked awesome. Same with Battlefront. But a lot (most) other games won't let you do it. Witcher 3 on triple monitor is extremely impressive. I imagine Ultrawide is like that too.

I just got a nice new 4k tv so I'm going to hook up to that and compare head to head what I prefer

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Does anyone know if Fry's will let me test the new replacement before I leave? I think the new one should be ok but it's over an hour drive for me and I just hate to have to drive back again cause the new one is bad too.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Got it exchanged on Friday night and the new one is good. Got their last one and didn't bother to test it at the store cause we were meeting a friend for dinner. Surprised they were so thorough at checking the return. They compared serial numbers on the monitor to the box, checked if everything that came with it was in the box and powered it up to test my claim of the flashing pixels. The lady, probably a manager, was very reluctant to do the exchange. She claimed not to notice when I showed her what was happening and when she finally admitted that she did she said it looked normal. She finally gave in and agreed to do the exchange. I think she was pissed that since it was their last one the exchange would be a lost sale for them. Felt a little peeved that they felt I was trying to cheat them.