$16,000,000,000,000 And counting....

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I am so proud :)

Our Government has left each and every one of us with $50,900 a piece in debt. Thanks guys and gals.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
So? Do you have an argument to make here? A solution to propose? If not, then you are merely fishing for responses and contributing nothing. Numbers are meaningless without context. Perhaps I should ask you to put that number into scientific notation or give me the prime factorization of that number or something. It would be just about as useful. :/

Nov 29, 2006
I've given up on caring about the debt. It is SO large it will never get back to 0 at this point. Both sides love to spend albeit on different things, but one side likes to lie about it.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
So? Do you have an argument to make here? A solution to propose? If not, then you are merely fishing for responses and contributing nothing. Numbers are meaningless without context. Perhaps I should ask you to put that number into scientific notation or give me the prime factorization of that number or something. It would be just about as useful. :/

Ya, stop spending so much. BTW, this is Politics and NEWS. Hitting $16 Trillion is news to some of us.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
How can you be so obtuse?

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
recession-deficit.png

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Ya, stop spending so much. BTW, this is Politics and NEWS. Hitting $16 Trillion is news to some of us.
Have you been living under a rock? There have been debt threads here in the past. I'm sure you can find one. Its news to nobody here.

"Stop the spending!!!11One" is so vague as to be useless. Got anything more specific than that? Any other non-spending cut solutions maybe? If your answer is yes to either of those, then you have a thread worthy of starting. Don't pretend that this thread's original intention was purely for informational purposes. You did so to imply what you stated in this post without wanting to say it flat out. That's what you should've done in the first place.

How can you be so obtuse?

I exceeded ninety degrees, my bad. :p

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
There are roughly 1.35b people in China, and ~700m males. There are ~300m people in the United States.

So if my math serves me correctly, at $25 each, $16t is roughly 640 billion bj's for all chinese males. Each chinese male gets 914 bj's, and each american gives ~2,100 bj's.

So it's not so bad once put it in perspective.

Let's save our nation's future generations and get started now! Btw, anyone willing to do 4,200 to cover my 2,100?

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
It's not like that debt is coming due soon, or ever. The debt-to-GDP ratio is not great right now and should be addressed long-term, but there's no immediate crisis that has to be solved NOW NOW NOW DAMN YOU OBAMA.

Considering interest rates are well below inflation and people are still eagerly buying government bonds, we're essentially borrowing money at a negative interest rate - that is, getting paid interest to borrow money. As long as there are meaningful ways to spend that money, such as building infrastructure, it would be criminally incompetent NOT to borrow more money right now.

The deficit could also be almost completely closed by letting the "temporary" Bush tax cuts expire. (But shouldn't be done during a recession. We should be deficit spending during a recession.)

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Have you been living under a rock? There have been debt threads here in the past. I'm sure you can find one. Its news to nobody here.

"Stop the spending!!!11One" is so vague as to be useless. Got anything more specific than that? Any other non-spending cut solutions maybe? If your answer is yes to either of those, then you have a thread worthy of starting. Don't pretend that this thread's original intention was purely for informational purposes. You did so to imply what you stated in this post without wanting to say it flat out. That's what you should've done in the first place.

I have something to add. STFU !! Maybe your government spending us into bankruptcy doesn't mean shit to you but it does to a lot of us. And ya, stop spending soo much. You know, cut spending?

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
So when a Republican takes over for Obama, can we blame Obama after he's been in 4 years?

You think that if Romney wins that there is any chance that will not happen?

They're still blaming Bill Clinton for stuff and he's been out of office for almost twelve years.

This is the party that for most of the last decade acted as if the guy who was president during 9/11 bore absolutely no responsibility for it whatsoever.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I have something to add. STFU !! Maybe your government spending us into bankruptcy doesn't mean shit to you but it does to a lot of us. And ya, stop spending so much. You know, cut spending?
Your right -- This forum is called politics and news...yet this forum is for adults!! Please stop your blatantly childish remarks!!