15th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race: Mark's Marauders win!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
The beta flag is needed when you are participating in the beta testing program. What they expect of beta testers is not very prominently documented. It can be researched in their forum. IIRC you need to be registered and logged in at the forum to see the relevant content. Or if you know exactly what you are doing, ignore their virtually undocumented expectations.

If you are in the slightest tiniest doubt, don't use the beta flag.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
The beta flag is needed when you are participating in the beta testing program. What they expect of beta testers is not very prominently documented. It can be researched in their forum. IIRC you need to be registered and logged in at the forum to see the relevant content. Or if you know exactly what you are doing, ignore their virtually undocumented expectations.

If you are in the slightest tiniest doubt, don't use the beta flag.
I only did, because when the new version came out I was not getting the "new" ppd. Once I did that, the same unit (after a reboot) I went from 3m to 5 m (approx) on my 2080TI's.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
We have a nasty storm coming through. After one brownout, my dual 1080Ti rig would not post (powercycles continuously) . The power then went off for a few minutes so I won't boot my computers until the storm is past.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Sitting this one out this year, But good luck to everyone :)
Me too. I think I'd need to upgrade hardware and software to get anywhere this year. I'll stick with PrimeGrid's 10-day GPU challenge at the end of the month.

Mike_F

Jan 27, 2020
Go Marauders!

Also, my cable modem has apparently decided to maraud, leaving me with sporadic internet access. Hopefully, it is resolved. :rolleyes:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I may be in for less than 5Mil PPD at the start, I put my singular GTX 1660ti Gaming X on F@H just now (woke up), and am still mining on the rest of my fleet. Hoping to snag an RTX 3060 ti tomorrow, that shall go into the Folding pile, if I get one.

Edit: OK, I figured that I'm giving up around $3/day USD in earnings, I've got 2x GTX 1660 ti and 2x GTX 1650 D5 on F@H right now, the GTX 1660 ti cards are doing 980K-1.05Mil PPD, and the GTX 1650 cards are each doing 445K or so PPD, I think.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Me too. I think I'd need to upgrade hardware and software to get anywhere this year. I'll stick with PrimeGrid's 10-day GPU challenge at the end of the month.
You couldn't compete against my lowly single underclocked RX 580? ;) (when's that mattered anyway? :p)

Reactions: biodoc

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Hoping to snag an RTX 3060 ti tomorrow, that shall go into the Folding pile, if I get one.
The Cambridge, MA Microcenter has them in stock but you have to go and wait in line to pick one up. You can't even reserve one. :(

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The Cambridge, MA Microcenter has them in stock but you have to go and wait in line to pick one up. You can't even reserve one.
Thanks, but I have a feeling that will be (kind of) a madhouse. I'm going to try to snag one on Bestbuy.com I think. If I can't, I can't.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I've got 2 GPUs waiting for work. :(

EDIT: I switched from client-type beta to advanced and restarted FAHClient and now I have work.

Last edited:

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Thanks, but I have a feeling that will be (kind of) a madhouse. I'm going to try to snag one on Bestbuy.com I think. If I can't, I can't.
Any luck? I managed to get one in my online cart on Best Buy for local pick up but I couldn't check out all the way before they sold out.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Also failed at BB. Got founders in the cart 3 times and a gigabyte once, but wasn’t able to complete any of them

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Cambridge Microcenter is sold out and store is temporarily closed for "deep cleaning". It must have been a mad house.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Cambridge Microcenter is sold out and store is temporarily closed for "deep cleaning". It must have been a mad house.
Ooh, who knows what sort of a bloody mess had to be cleaned up after this run on a little stock of graphics cards...

I've got 2 GPUs waiting for work.
Today I got one incident in my logs of one slot taking 7 retry attempts at work requests.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Ha ha @StefanR5R . My workplace "deep cleans" an area after an employee tests positive for the Rage virus, which usually takes days to find out, after they leave work for exhibiting symptoms. Not quite 28 days later, but long enough for it to not matter anymore.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Over night, all of my three folding slots went idle: I found two stuck in "sending", and one stuck in "failed". The log had messages I had never seen before, such as "too many open files". Shutdown and restart of the client got everything going again.

Edit: And my EOC stats from three hours ago are weird too: It got about as many points as the previous 3h stats updates, but instead of the usual 3 or 4 WUs per 3h, 13 WUs are listed. It's as if a poltergeist switched on the CPU folding slot at midnight... and managed to hide this from the client log.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: biodoc