15th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race: Mark's Marauders win!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Maybe the chart still reflects the OpenCL application, but not yet the new CUDA application.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
For the last month, it has been in the 7's million. Obviously, WU vary the PPD, but that is a huge disparity. 4 GPU's: 1070, 1070ti, 2x2070's.
That is about how long the new cuda core has been out and that has caused an up-tic in points for everyone with Nvidia cards. I would guess you are at 6.5-7.5 m.

Welcome!

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Peace to you all.
I don't come around here enough. I'm in. I have no idea how to quantify my PPD, though. According to the chart, it should be ~4.65 million. For the last month, it has been in the 7's million. Obviously, WU vary the PPD, but that is a huge disparity. 4 GPU's: 1070, 1070ti, 2x2070's.
Mike_F - Mike_F - ? - full month.

Welcome to the race Mike. :) I'l use your 24 h average from this page.

Reactions: Pokey

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
I just found out there is a raspberry pi client for F@H. No idea what kind of PPD it will put out, but if push comes to shove, the pi cluster may run F@H in Dec.

Reactions: Pokey

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If we could get ~20million PPD worth of more competitors, we could do Mark and Pokey vs Everyone Else...
Well, honestly, we could... but I don't know if that would be as much fun, really. Kind of like mall without an "anchor store".

emoga

May 13, 2018
@biodoc Looks like the FB sprint just broke my 1650. Might want to scratch my name off the list until further notice. :(

On the bright side, I might get an RMA card with the newer GDDR6 instead of slumming it with the older GDDR5 that it currently has.

Hopefully this will make it look more appealing on an ebay ad since this card sucks as it is.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Turned off the taps to MW earlier (a bit late :oops:), theirs a little less than a days worth of WUs left.
Well, honestly, we could... but I don't know if that would be as much fun, really. Kind of like mall without an "anchor store".
You have stores that sell anchors in your malls? ;):tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: Endgame124

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
lol

Turned off the taps to MW earlier (a bit late :oops:), theirs a little less than a days worth of WUs left.

Well that was a fast '23hrs' (that's what ~500 WUs were calculated to be, already done! :)
I've tried to run F@H, and it was saying 'update core' in the status, so I updated the client (I don't know if they mean the same thing?), and it still says 'update core'!
Oh wait, it's downloading something according to the log, it's taking ages though! (as did the client d/l actually) zzzz
News flash, Stanford Uni have gone back to dialup :p

• Haha
Reactions: crashtech

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
I was wondering what sort of magic you performed to get a days worth of Milky. You should check out this thread we have, Milkyway Benchmarks, then you would have known how precious little time you had. :p :p :p

• Haha
Reactions: Icecold

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Lol :p , I looked at valid result times, picked an average one from a page (credit, 227.5, 170s) and then multiplied it by the number of tasks (497), that should've been ~23hrs. Maybe I picked a slow one?...........nope, just looked again, roughly 170s. Although I see it's saying I still have 300 tasks when I have none left! Guess that explains it!

Oh btw, F@H is crunching now :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

What does an RTX 2060 (Super) get in F@H? If a 3060 ti has double the CUDA cores, does that translate to vaugely double the PPD?

Regardless, I'm going to try to get one or two, wish me luck. IF I manage to get a couple, then I may fold with them, and keep my existing cards mining, because right now, if I mine all month, I could afford a 3060ti on the mining revenue alone.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
It's time to start folding. The race starts in just over 24 hours from now and I'll be collecting "time 0" stats at that time.
The race starts December 1, 12:00 UTC
Let me know if your estimated PPD is reasonably accurate and if not, I'll adjust team membership accordingly.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@VirtualLarry, the FP32 bandwidth per shader has been doubled from Turing to Ampere. Nvidia communicates this as if CUDA cores had been doubled. (Which is false if INT32 bandwidth is considered.) Folding@home performance depends on FP32 performance.

On the other hand, keep in mind, MSRPs are irrelevant for the time being. Actual sales prices....... differ. (Hmm, the term "sales" doesn't quite fit.)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

What does an RTX 2060 (Super) get in F@H? If a 3060 ti has double the CUDA cores, does that translate to vaugely double the PPD?

Regardless, I'm going to try to get one or two, wish me luck. IF I manage to get a couple, then I may fold with them, and keep my existing cards mining, because right now, if I mine all month, I could afford a 3060ti on the mining revenue alone.
Well, with the beta flag set, I am getting 2.2m right now on my 2060 super.

Reactions: lane42

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
It's time to start folding. The race starts in just over 24 hours from now and I'll be collecting "time 0" stats at that time.

Let me know if your estimated PPD is reasonably accurate and if not, I'll adjust team membership accordingly.
I may need to adjust my contribution this year due to the ongoing FB battle with TSBTXT. Ppd also seems to be in flux due to the changes F@H has made to their app. It may take me until a few days into the race to figure out where I can be at points-wise. I would have started earlier, but you know why that couldn't happen!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, from what I've been reading, the CUDA performance for 3060 ti cards is close to a 2080 Super.

And, do you need the beta flag, to get CUDA WUs?

Wondering if I need to re-benchmark my mining rig with beta flag set.

Edit: According to F@H, no need to do anything, other than crunch on a CUDA-enabled device.

Edit: Also came across this open issue with F@H, when Win10 updates the video drivers on you, F@H doesn't properly detect the lack of an OpenCL.dll file, and pukes a whole bunch of WUs.

Toying with the idea of entering the race late, and trying to get a 3060 ti to fold with, and continue mining. Because if I continued to mine, I could afford a 3060 ti this month.

Last edited:

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
I don't think you specifically need the beta flag set to get CUDA WUs (my 1080ti is getting CUDA work units without the beta flag)

That said, F@H has been running sprints evaluating compounds for the covid moonshot. They are coming in waves, and if you have the beta flag set, you'll pickup the first batch of the next wave before they are available to everyone else - otherwise your PPD may dip at the end of each sprint as the number of WUs dwindles to almost nothing before the next batch is ready.