15.1 LCD monitor for $599

Xzaver

Golden Member
Dec 1, 1999
MMmmmm Flat Screen :p:D

Looks like a good deal to me, My best edgucated guess would be that it is an excellent deal, wish I had 600 to spend on a monitor though. :(

Regards,
-Xzaver-

stingygrrl

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2000
outpost.com has a new 15" Samsung LCD for $599 after $100 mail-in rebate. I think it's the 570S model. I'd rather go that way bc it would come with a complete warranty.

sickNtired

Apr 7, 2000
Proview deal was better for a couple of reasons:

1. Full warranty
2. Cheaper

I can't say anything about the differences in quality of the monitors however.

bill_mr

Oct 12, 1999
it claims to be a

144 Color Display
and then
262,144 Color display

whats up with that?

Raj

Aug 14, 2000
at least its easier to find then the omax one.
though not a comparable price, by far.

ygreenkitty

Sep 12, 2000
overstock also has one...HERE
The small footprint of the FPD1500--less than eight inches deep and weighing only 12.5 pounds--makes it the ideal monitor for environments with limited desk area.

Interesting...this came from Gateway originally, as an add on.

<< Posted at 5:52 PM PT, Oct 28, 1998
Gateway has started shipping a slender, 15.1-inch LCD monitor as an upgrade option with selected consumer and corporate desktop PCs, the company said Wednesday.

Gateway said its digital flat-panel display (FPD) offers virtually the equivalent image of a CRT monitor, with the advantage of being just eight-inches deep, including the stand. Typical 17-inch CRT monitors are as much as 18-inches deep.

Conserving desk space does not come cheap, however. Gateway's FPD1500 is available as an upgrade on selected G- and GP-Series systems for an additional $610, and on its enterprise E-4200 systems for an extra $465.

Those prices are &quot;reasonable&quot; considering desktop digital LCDs are still quite new, said Martin Reynolds, an analyst at San Jose, Calif.-based Dataquest.

&quot;When users get one of these things, they often wonder why they ever had a CRT in the first place,&quot; Reynolds added.

Because the market for desktop FPDs is still young, however, no concrete standards have been set for the interfaces that connect the displays to PCs. That means a digital flat-panel display from one vendor might not be compatible with a PC made by another vendor, Reynolds said.

Gateway couples its FPD with an 8MB graphics accelerator in order to bypass the digital-to-analog conversion needed with a CRT monitor. The screen provides resolutions of as many as 1,024-by-768 pixels, with 16.7 million colors -- about equivalent to a CRT monitor, said Keith Johnson, product marketing manager for Gateway's displays.

The picture quality on the FPD1500 is preserved from almost any viewing angle, Johnson said.

Gateway has no immediate plans to offer the FPD1500 as a stand-alone product, Johnson said.
>>