Question 1440p from this config

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
So I’ve had a VA panel for about 2 years 2560 x1440 144, getting bored with it. Currently it’s running 3060, based sys is r7-3700 16gb paired to 3060. Looking to get a slightly better 1440p display to pair with something with a little more punch than it. Different screen tech? 70 series minimum what is the practical path?

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
I have 2 ips led 22” 60hz displays and honestly from a static image quality standpoint they got it all over this admittedly cheap panel

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Not the answer you were hoping for, but buy the monitor first.

I like rtings:

or perhaps something like this:

If you are like me, you stare at your monitor a lot. It is worth spending money on a good one. Might not have money left in the budget for a video card.

May want to ask this in the monitors forum.

Reactions: Shmee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I like SS IPS, such as the ROG Monitor I have, does 270Hz. My specs are in my sig. Only thing is you will defiitely want a GPU and CPU upgrade for chasing higher frames at 1440p. I would go with a 5700X or higher and a 3080/6800XT or better. For the CPU upgrade, I think the 5900X would be the sweet spot.

Reactions: Leeea

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
I bought a 1440p 240hz monitor recently and really wouldn't recommend it due to cost. My older 1440p 144hz pretty much is just as good and now are much less expensive.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I would not spend too much money on a 1440p monitor. I still think 1440p 32" is the way to go right now. I think the sweet spot will be an OLED 40-43" 4k 144/165hz curved gaming monitor in the next year or two.

We could argue all day about IPS or VA. I have the fastest Panels that Rtings has ever tested. It's a Dell 24" TN panel. The colors are not as washed out as the old TN panels but the picture quality is nowhere near as good as IPS or VA. OLED looks to be the future that will put to rest the IPS/VA panel arguments.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I have two 27" 1440P displays side by side. One is an IPS, one is a VA (XG2705-2K and ViewSonic XG270QC). The IPS has better color calibration, but the VA has much better blacks and dynamic range. The IPS does have better G2G response, the VA has very minor blurring, which is only noticeable under specific use cases.

Its worth noting my VA is a FreeSync Premium Pro with HDR, and is curved. So its not a cheap VA panel. The IPS is mid range, its pretty good. But is just a standard FreeSync display.

The tough thing with displays is we here can write all we want about which is better, but not everybody's eye sight is the same. So the true answer is to go and look at them in person. But this is getting to be quite hard these days. So next best thing is to order from a place like amazon that will happen let you return whatever it is you get if you don't like it.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I have two 27" 1440P displays side by side. One is an IPS, one is a VA (XG2705-2K and ViewSonic XG270QC). The IPS has better color calibration, but the VA has much better blacks and dynamic range. The IPS does have better G2G response, the VA has very minor blurring, which is only noticeable under specific use cases.

Its worth noting my VA is a FreeSync Premium Pro with HDR, and is curved. So its not a cheap VA panel. The IPS is mid range, its pretty good. But is just a standard FreeSync display.

The tough thing with displays is we here can write all we want about which is better, but not everybody's eye sight is the same. So the true answer is to go and look at them in person. But this is getting to be quite hard these days. So next best thing is to order from a place like amazon that will happen let you return whatever it is you get if you don't like it.
What is your VA response time set at? There are 3 options in your OSD. Normal, fast and fastest. If you set it to normal, your limited ghosting should be gone completely.

The only downside to VA vs. IPS is viewing angles. If you look at your monitor fairly straight on. There is no difference. Some like the vibrant colors of IPS but there is color bleed (not a big deal.) The inky blacks of VA are much better for HDR which I still think is broken. For HDR to work properly you need 800-1000nits screen.

The reason why most gamers prefer IPS. It's all they know or they got a VA panel and set the response time to fastest instead of leaving it at normal and experienced ghosting. The other factor is when they leave a room and return and see their monitor dims because of viewing angle. Their IPS monitor doesn't do that but they do not spend time watching their monitor from strange angles.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
What is your VA response time set at? There are 3 options in your OSD. Normal, fast and fastest. If you set it to normal, your limited ghosting should be gone completely.

The only downside to VA vs. IPS is viewing angles. If you look at your monitor fairly straight on. There is no difference. Some like the vibrant colors of IPS but there is color bleed (not a big deal.) The inky blacks of VA are much better for HDR which I still think is broken. For HDR to work properly you need 800-1000nits screen.

The reason why most gamers prefer IPS. It's all they know or they got a VA panel and set the response time to fastest instead of leaving it at normal and experienced ghosting. The other factor is when they leave a room and return and see their monitor dims because of viewing angle. Their IPS monitor doesn't do that but they do not spend time watching their monitor from strange angles.

Mine actually has five settings for response time. Standard, fast, faster, ultra fast, and fastest. I have it set at 'faster', which is the middle setting.

Viewing angles on this display are fantastic, which they would need to be since its a curved display. I can look at it from way off to the side with very little change. Its really quite good.

As for HDR, the required brightness depends on the viewing distance. For a big screen TV, you really need 800+, as you sit far back from it. But for a computer display, that you sit closer to, the brightness does not need to be as high.