• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

1440 x 900 Res not in List?

endoftheline2

Sep 17, 2007
I have a 24 inch 1920*1200 Native LCD monitor running on a GTX260, and I was looking at the lower resolutions that I can switch to and 1440*900 does not appear in my windows resolutions or in Nvidia Control Panel menu.

1920*1200 is 16:10 ratio and so is 1440*900.
I see in the Nvidia control panel I can easily add a custom resolution at this setting, but the little Nvidia warning about how I might destroy my monitor got me thinking I should check to make sure there is not some problem with this specific resolution.

Is there some reason that a Native 1920*1200 LCD, can not or should not be set to 1440*900, when both resolutions share the same aspect ratio?

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
You cant destroy your monitor by using a resolution, you can however make the computer unusable until you boot into safe mode and reinstall Vdrivers...

...Lol I prolly shouldn't have said that because its not relevant to you, if your just setting a resolution, you wont have any problems; the bad stuff just happened to me because I used to "overclock" my monitor. I had an old Dell 1280x1024 that got up to 78.something Hz lol.

God I miss Nvidia drivers, is there anyway to adjust stuff like the front porch, manual refresh rate, ect. on ATI drivers? Thats why I hate ATI drivers, you cant do shit in them compared to Nvidia, and when i try to enter a driver discussion i get flamed up the ass because im a "fanboi"....

Its like if there was a BIOS debate between Dell and Asus:

Others: Dude Dell bios and Asus is the same
Me: No actually you can do more in Asus bios
Others: Dude, my Dell fucking turns on! what more could the bios do?
Me: You can Overclock/and do random other stuff
Others: ASUSU FANBOIU ALERTS!

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
You cant destroy your monitor by using a resolution, you can however make the computer unusable until you boot into safe mode and reinstall Vdrivers...

...Lol I prolly shouldn't have said that because its not relevant to you, if your just setting a resolution, you wont have any problems; the bad stuff just happened to me because I used to "overclock" my monitor. I had an old Dell 1280x1024 that got up to 78.something Hz lol.

God I miss Nvidia drivers, is there anyway to adjust stuff like the front porch, manual refresh rate, ect. on ATI drivers? Thats why I hate ATI drivers, you cant do shit in them compared to Nvidia, and when i try to enter a driver discussion i get flamed up the ass because im a "fanboi"....

Its like if there was a BIOS debate between Dell and Asus:

Others: Dude Dell bios and Asus is the same
Me: No actually you can do more in Asus bios
Others: Dude, my Dell fucking turns on! what more could the bios do?
Me: You can Overclock/and do random other stuff
Others: ASUSU FANBOIU ALERTS!
You got flamed most likely because you actually care about upping an LCD screen refresh rate. Which will make no difference whatsoever.

As to the OP, you can probably force the resolution if you like. However, if you haven't already installed your monitor driver try that. It typically hides resolutions it thinks are not supported by your monitor. If you install the driver, it may become available.

Can I ask why you want to reduce the screen resolution?

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
You got flamed most likely because you actually care about upping an LCD screen refresh rate. Which will make no difference whatsoever.

As to the OP, you can probably force the resolution if you like. However, if you haven't already installed your monitor driver try that. It typically hides resolutions it thinks are not supported by your monitor. If you install the driver, it may become available.

Can I ask why you want to reduce the screen resolution?
Since ur out to get me, ill take a stab at you :)

There is no such thing as a monitor driver. The disk that comes with monitors contains the EDID, which definitely isn't a driver

Shit I cant believe I just spent $400 on a 120hz LCD monitor! What a waste of money if upping the refresh rate doesn't matter! Its totally a placebo effect that everything runs so much smoother...

Lol let me guess, people cant see more than 60 fps right?

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Since ur out to get me, ill take a stab at you :)

There is no such thing as a monitor driver. The disk that comes with monitors contains the EDID, which definitely isn't a driver

Shit I cant believe I just spent $400 on a 120hz LCD monitor! What a waste of money if upping the refresh rate doesn't matter! Its totally a placebo effect that everything runs so much smoother...

Lol let me guess, people cant see more than 60 fps right?
Lets see....trust some internet guy or trust microsoft/NEC. I'll trust NEC thank you very much as they themselves along with microsoft refer to the monitor .inf file as a monitor driver. Is it the same as a graphics driver? No. However, a driver supports the interface between the OS and the peripheral device. In this case the driver is needed for the support of DDC/CI.

As for 120Hz monitors, I honestly can't tell the difference unless we're talking watching 24p movie material where the 120Hz will be able to display it in a 4:4 cadence as opposed to using 3:2 pulldown.

natty1

Apr 28, 2008
Wrong. It can make a huge difference. You may not notice because the things you do don't take advantage of it.

A554SS1N

May 17, 2005
Last I heard it was response time that mattered for LCDs; refresh rate only really matters on CRTs.

natty1

Apr 28, 2008
Last I heard it was response time that mattered for LCDs; refresh rate only really matters on CRTs.
Wrong. LCD's don't flicker like CRT's do but refresh rate still matters because it limits the number of frames that the LCD can display.

ASK THE COMMUNITY