140mm fan and CPU temp questions

nervx

Jul 17, 2004
I have a fractal r4 and I'm looking for two quiet fans to add to the case to get the most airflow with as little noise as possible. I'm going to put the stock fans in the front at 5v so I need one for the back and top.

For the top i was thinking a corsair af140. how are they when it comes to air flow noise? Ill probably run it at 7v. does anyone know what RPM they run at when set to 7v and if they will start at 5v?

For the back I'm considering a thermalright Ty-140 and using the pwm feature. Would this work well as a case fan or would another corsair be more ideal?

As for temps my 3770k idles around 26-31C. However the temps on the cores fluctuate in that range every second or so. If I open a small program like Microsoft security essential temps will jump to mid 40s for a second or two then drop back down. Is the fluctuation and temp spikes normal?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Those idle temps look good. Load temps shouldn't be too high either unless you've overclocked. Don't really think that you actually need more fans in the case unless you have a hot GPU dumping hot air into the case. But if you really want it anyway, most 5-7V fans would be no more than 1kRPM which will definitely be silent, at least to my ears.

Temps will fluctuate a little bit +-5C on most cases as there are always running applications in the background. As for the spikes, they are normal as well. It isn't the kind of thing that will heat up gradually since the CPU itself is so small.

nervx

Jul 17, 2004
Prime95 brings temps to the mid 50s. Intel burn thing gets as high as mid 60s. No over clock and the case fans are at 12v right now. They're too noisy which is why I want to add more fans so I can run them slower but maintain air flow. Plus I have a 670 in there.
Heatsink is a hr-02 with a ty-140 using pwm.

I have no programs running at startup which is why I ask about the flucuation in core temps. I thought maybe air bubble in the thermal paste as My old core 2 duo was more stable when it came to temp readings.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
The Thermalright HR-02 is mostly intended as a passive cooler. For the temps you're getting with stress testing programs, its good since there are not many real world applications that will push it to that extent and you can expect lower temps if you're not running programs that its sole purpose is to stress the CPU.

I'm sure you've heard by now that IB isn't the lowest temp CPU around and fluctuations will happen from time to time. Even if there is no programs at startup, the OS will always need some CPU time even at idle so you can never really get a true idle. If you intend to do some overclocking, the max temp is about 105C. There is sufficient headroom for that.

Last edited:

nervx

Jul 17, 2004
Alright. Now any suggestions on rear case fan? Would the corsair or thermalright be a better choice?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I would keep to three fans in total and connect all of them to the front panel fan controller. One in the rear, two in the front. Keep using the Ty-140 with the hr-02, put the fractals in the front and add one basic Cooler Master 1000RPM fan in the rear.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Alright. Now any suggestions on rear case fan? Would the corsair or thermalright be a better choice?
I would go with Thermalright. Since it is an exhaust, it will only matter if you want it to be as silent as possible. Probably good as it compliments the look of the Thermalright TY-140 on your Thermalright HR-02.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
I would keep to three fans in total and connect all of them to the front panel fan controller. One in the rear, two in the front. Keep using the Ty-140 with the hr-02, put the fractals in the front and add one basic Cooler Master 1000RPM fan in the rear.
I was going to say something similar.

Four fans isn't necessary even with a 670. A 670 isn't a super high-heat part anyway. 60C is well within the acceptable limits. Translating it to Fahrenheit you've got roughly another 50-55 degrees of wiggle room before heat becomes an issue.

MoInSTL

Jan 2, 2012

I agree with lehtv. Keep your Ty-140 on the HR-02. He helped me out a lot when I got the HR-02 and Fractal R4. I ended up using the Fractal fans in front, and a Corsair AF-140 (with the white ring) for rear exhaust.
http://www.corsair.com/cpu-cooling-...140-quiet-edition-high-airflow-140mm-fan.html

nervx

Jul 17, 2004
I agree with lehtv. Keep your Ty-140 on the HR-02. He helped me out a lot when I got the HR-02 and Fractal R4. I ended up using the Fractal fans in front, and a Corsair AF-140 (with the white ring) for rear exhaust.
http://www.corsair.com/cpu-cooling-...140-quiet-edition-high-airflow-140mm-fan.html

I don't plan on taking the Ty-140 off the hr-02. I was considering getting a second one for the back if the case and plugging it into another pwm plug. I'm just not sure how well it will work as a case fan or if a corsair would be a better pick.

How do you find the corsair fan in comparison to the stock r4 fans? For me the stock fans are loud at 12v due to wind noise. Are they quieter at 12 and 7 volts? Any idea if the corsair will start up at 5v?

MoInSTL

Jan 2, 2012
I don't plan on taking the Ty-140 off the hr-02. I was considering getting a second one for the back if the case and plugging it into another pwm plug. I'm just not sure how well it will work as a case fan or if a corsair would be a better pick.

How do you find the corsair fan in comparison to the stock r4 fans? For me the stock fans are loud at 12v due to wind noise. Are they quieter at 12 and 7 volts? Any idea if the corsair will start up at 5v?

Replied to your PM.

Rikard

Apr 25, 2012
Sorry for coming late to the party. I have the same case and I described my setup here:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34195437&postcount=1
I picked my Xigmatek 14 cm PWM fans mainly because I got a very good deal for them, but while they are maybe not the optimal choice I am happy with them. At idle temps I cannot really hear the rear fan (the bottom and top are then powered down) since the graphics card and CPU fan are louder. I am already switching out the GPU which should make the CPU fan the loudest at idle.