14 year old Pakistani peace activist shot by Taliban

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 30, 2004
This is a heart breaking story here. Summary:

14 year old Pakistani girl, who wrote a blog chronicling oppressive life under the Taliban, is pro-western and pro-peace, won a children's peace price for her blog. Was shot in the neck and the head by the Taliban. Two other young girls were also shot, unclear whether they were also targets or were caught in the cross-fire.

More tidings of good will from the religion of peace and tolerance.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Eliminating all Muslims would mean eliminating those who are peaceful like the victim here. I don't think the lesson of this story is that killing is the right solution. Targeted killing of militants, perhaps. Not wholesale slaughter.

I fully understand what you are saying but whitewashing away Islam barbarism just so because the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful is a lame excuse and has to stop, when almost every vast majority from other ethnic or religion group on the planet are the also peaceful too yet we also don't hear THAT much stone age bullshit from them.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Religion of Pieces

Well, this girl was a Muslim and an obvious advocate for peace, so if you're going to judge an entire religion based on the actions of members of the religion, you might want to re-think your response.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
You mean adults who believe everything they are fed through the corporate propaganda machine/media?

LOL. OK, have at it. Don't let me stop the brainwashing!

You neglected to respond to Wolfe's question, which was: On what basis have YOU determined what's true and what isn't? Please provide details.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
dank69 said:
How do you determine what is truth and what is lies?
How do you?

We obviously believe what we think are reputable news sources, such as the source of this story about the Pakistani girl.

Okay, now we've answered your question. And you're telling us we're mistaken in the news sources we place our trust in. So now it's your turn: How do YOU determine what's true and what isn't?

Nov 29, 2006
Well, this girl was a Muslim and an obvious advocate for peace, so if you're going to judge an entire religion based on the actions of members of the religion, you might want to re-think your response.

She is obvioulsy an outliner in that religion otherwise people would not want her dead. The fact these so called "moderate" muslims who surely outnumber the evil Taliban dont stand up for themselves and fight the Taliban every waking moment of the day shows their complacency for them. Thus they are part of the problem as well.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Similar, but not the same.
Cybrsage is indirect and then retreats into "You can't prove I meant what you think I meant," while Juror No. 8 is direct and hits back with, "Well you can't prove anything." In classic troll fashion I predict he will demand his detractors to come up with a full accounting of their epistemologies while holding that his own beliefs are above such questioning.

You ain't gonna win against this.
This.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I fully understand what you are saying but whitewashing away Islam barbarism just so because the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful is a lame excuse and has to stop, when almost every vast majority from other ethnic or religion group on the planet are the also peaceful too yet we also don't hear THAT much stone age bullshit from them.

The guy I was responding to was advocating genocide, so I'm not really feeling like my post deserved much in the way of criticism. Your "whitewashing" allegation is a straw man. Maybe you should be critiquing the advocate of genocide before the person who who disagrees with him.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
You mean adults who believe everything they are fed through the corporate propaganda machine/media?

LOL. OK, have at it. Don't let me stop the brainwashing!

This is non-responsive. You're just doubling down on the original assertion that I was testing with the question I asked. Can you defend your position? Try again.

I asked about your epistemology. What sources do you consider credible? Upon what basis do you form your own beliefs about what is true and what isn't? You criticize others for what sources they trust and how they form their own beliefs. It is therefore relevant what you would propose as an alternative. Playing negationist and contrarian is just rolling.

In the absence of a cogent response, it is completely fair to assume that you do not have one, and in fact, that you would trust the exact same sources that other people trust when they tell you something you want to hear, and discard the same sources as propaganda when they do not.

Now, are you going to answer the question?

Last edited:

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
We obviously believe what we think are reputable news sources, such as the source of this story about the Pakistani girl.

Okay, now we've answered your question. And you're telling us we're mistaken in the news sources we place our trust in. So now it's your turn: How do YOU determine what's true and what isn't?

What's reputable about it?

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
This is non-responsive. You're just doubling down on the original assertion that I was testing with the question I asked. Can you defend your position? Try again.

I asked about your epistemology. What sources do you consider credible? Upon what basis do you form your own beliefs about what is true and what isn't? You criticize others for what sources they trust and how they form their own beliefs. It is therefore relevant what you would propose as an alternative. Playing negationist and contrarian is just rolling.

In the absence of a cogent response, it is completely fair to assume that you do not have one, and in fact, that you would trust the exact same sources that other people trust when they tell you something you want to hear, and discard the same sources as propaganda when they do not.

Now, are you going to answer the question?

Just because you don't like the response doesn't mean it's not a response. You want to be able to cling to your propaganda as truth and not be challenged, that's all.

"But, but, but... it's reputable! It's a big corporate news outlet! They read expensive teleprompters on TV! They wouldn't lie to us! Their only agenda is reporting the facts! How do I know? They said so!"

LOL.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Just because you don't like the response doesn't mean it's not a response. You want to be able to cling to your propaganda as truth and not be challenged, that's all.

"But, but, but... it's reputable! It's a big corporate news outlet! They read expensive teleprompters on TV! They wouldn't lie to us! Their only agenda is reporting the facts! How do I know? They said so!"

LOL.

Hi!
What kind of bug are you? You might be a beetle, but your soft body suggest something more along the roach family. Ahh, you are a hissing cockroach. What do you eat and what kind of habitat do you need for me to keep you as a pet?

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005

LOL.

OK, you are not going to answer the questions.

You're just some dolt who is trying to get attention on a discussion board.

I thought as much.

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
OK, you are not going to answer the questions.

You're just some dolt who is trying to get attention on a discussion board.

I thought as much.

"Unless you allow me to derail the thread by answering my thread derail questions, you are a troll! And you can take my corporate propaganda when you pry it from my cold, lifeless fingers!"

Some of you guys are a real treat. Maybe I'll stick around longer than I planned.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
^^ inb4 Juror hand-waving deflection.

LOL.

Damn I'm good.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
"Unless you allow me to derail the thread by answering my thread derail questions, you are a troll! And you can take my corporate propaganda when you pry it from my cold, lifeless fingers!"

Some of you guys are a real treat. Maybe I'll stick around longer than I planned.

You question the credibility of sources relied upon by others, and when asked what sources you consider credible, you call that a "derail?" Yeah, sure it is.

You still haven't answered the question I posed. You are obviously unable to answer because you know that any answer will expose your derision of others for the hypocrisy that it is.

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Damn I'm good.

Yes, you're "good" in the same sense as a rapist who predicts that the next woman he rapes will try to resist him.

An irrational person is right to assume that a rational person won't entertain his nonsense for very long.

So, congratulations on that!