14 States set hospitalization records yesterday

Feb 4, 2009
Hopefully this trend will stop but I have nothing but hope about that.

Anyone else see a pattern in the States?

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
We will get to 100,000 per day before the election. I am not proud to say that.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Anyone else see a pattern in the States?
I know what you are trying to say. Conservative states are driving up the numbers. But we shouldn't be focusing on red states versus blue states right now. The pandemic doesn't care about voter affiliation. In the past couple months its become clear that the pandemic is now spreading differently than it did in March to July. What we are seeing now is measurable growth in rural parts of states while counts in urbanized area are remaining low or only increasing slightly. This is happening in blue states AND red states, and it would make sense that rural states, which tend to vote republican, are now setting records.

Now of course some people are saying republicans are not believing in science or wearing masks and that is driving up the spread. That is probably true, but there are likely more factors at play than just anti-science sentiment from conservatives.

Reactions: gothuevos

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If Trump loses, he'll leave devastation in his wake. If he wins, he'll rule over the ashes. How anybody can vote for the superspreader in chief is incomprehensible.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I know what you are trying to say. Conservative states are driving up the numbers. But we shouldn't be focusing on red states versus blue states right now. The pandemic doesn't care about voter affiliation. In the past couple months its become clear that the pandemic is now spreading differently than it did in March to July. What we are seeing now is measurable growth in rural parts of states while counts in urbanized area are remaining low or only increasing slightly. This is happening in blue states AND red states, and it would make sense that rural states, which tend to vote republican, are now setting records.

Now of course some people are saying republicans are not believing in science or wearing masks and that is driving up the spread. That is probably true, but there are likely more factors at play than just anti-science sentiment from conservatives.

More factors... like what, exactly? The places where infection is headed skyward have enormous advantages in fighting the pandemic- low population density, lack of dependence on mass transit & a certain sense of community they could use to their advantage. Except Trump. They love Trump. They'd follow him thru the gates of Hell, which is where it's headed.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
More factors... like what, exactly? The places where infection is headed skyward have enormous advantages in fighting the pandemic- low population density, lack of dependence on mass transit & a certain sense of community they could use to their advantage. Except Trump. They love Trump. They'd follow him thru the gates of Hell, which is where it's headed.
  • People in rural areas may be poorer and may have more health risks for contracting COVID than those in urban areas
  • People in rural areas may be older and at higher risk of contracting COVID
  • People in rural areas may have less access to testing and medical services in general
  • People in rural areas may be less informed about the spread of the virus as local governments may not have the resources to launch effective public information campaigns that local governments in urban areas do
  • People in rural areas may be less likely to work in occupations where they can work from home, versus people in urban areas
I'm not denying that anti-mask sentiment plays a role. I'm just saying we shouldn't be politicizing the pandemic every chance we get. People are fucking dying and the president is saying shit like "if you take out the blue states we're OK" and now that red states are on the rise we're playing the same game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starbuck1975

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Maybe related, maybe not, but I notice today that the IHS I work for is rationing Cepheid rapid-response tests beginning today and until further notice.

Feb 4, 2009
Point is they are mostly sloppy open everything up now States and to date they have learned little

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
  • People in rural areas may be poorer and may have more health risks for contracting COVID than those in urban areas
  • People in rural areas may have less access to testing and medical services in general
  • People in rural areas may be less informed about the spread of the virus as local governments may not have the resources to launch effective public information campaigns that local governments in urban areas do
I'm not denying that anti-mask sentiment plays a role. I'm just saying we shouldn't be politicizing the pandemic every chance we get. People are fucking dying and the president is saying shit like "if you take out the blue states we're OK" and now that red states are on the rise we're playing the same game.
People in rural areas also tend to work in professions where they don’t have the luxury of working from home.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
For some damn reason, Snohomish county, just north of Seattle is having a spike almost up to the last peak. People, this is not the time to relax.

Feb 4, 2009
People in rural areas also tend to work in professions where they don’t have the luxury of working from home.

Then man the fuck up and get it done.
Are they all hair dressers? Because there aren’t many non work from home jobs I can imagine that require you to be within 6 feet.
Stop making excuses, majority of these states ignored all warnings and pushed others to open early.
They need to take responsibility for that decision.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Then man the fuck up and get it done.
Are they all hair dressers? Because there aren’t many non work from home jobs I can imagine that require you to be within 6 feet.
Stop making excuses, majority of these states ignored all warnings and pushed others to open early.
They need to take responsibility for that decision.
Even in major cities, the COVID flare ups are happening in communities that consist of primarily blue collar, transportation and service workers. They are manning up to show up for work.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Most of these are because of social gatherings. Trump rallys without a mask. Superspreader events in the Rose garden. Florida throwing all precaution in the wind and going full reopen. Sure Joe Blue Collar is going to work, but he's also going to the bar after it and church on Sunday. Those are far more risky than work.

Feb 4, 2009
Even in major cities, the COVID flare ups are happening in communities that consist of primarily blue collar, transportation and service workers. They are manning up to show up for work.

In other words they didn’t respect advice smart people gave them that are based upon science because reasons.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If Trump loses, he'll leave devastation in his wake. If he wins, he'll rule over the ashes. How anybody can vote for the superspreader in chief is incomprehensible.

"But he's better than Biden" for reasons that people who say such a thing absolutely always refuse to give.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
For some damn reason, Snohomish county, just north of Seattle is having a spike almost up to the last peak. People, this is not the time to relax.
I kind of get the feeling that this county skews more conservative. For example, when I went into one of the chain auto stores, one older guy had a mask dangling from one ear, the other wasn't wearing one at all, and when it was time for me to pay, told me to just come up to the counter (around the cordon set up to keep customers back from the employees).

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
In other words they didn’t respect advice smart people gave them that are based upon science because reasons.

Or other people didn't. The masks don't stop you from getting it, it's stops your output from going far. So the idea is the wear the mask and give people plenty of space to reduce viral load and transmission.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I live in WV. A restaurant where my sister works opened up Wed. through Sat. several months ago. She says the place is regulary packed and their bar is packed. Last Sat. they catered a wedding several counties away. 200 people from various areas were invited. This is just one example of the selfishness causing people to get sick and die.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Please. Covid doesn't care about health risks or age. It will infect any human the same as any other. Those factors determine severity, not infection rate. It's the same wrt testing & medical services. What's giving them problems in the Dakotas, Montana & other places is their headset, not the knowledge offered to them. Hail Trump!

Feb 4, 2009
Or other people didn't. The masks don't stop you from getting it, it's stops your output from going far. So the idea is the wear the mask and give people plenty of space to reduce viral load and transmission.

Hey don’t make fun of their culture of failure.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

• People in rural areas may be less likely to work in occupations where they can work from home, versus people in urban areas

I was tempted to 'like' both these comments. I can't really decide between the two. There are bound to be ideological-drivers of it, but those other factors could also play a role. Would require more detailed analysis to say (e.g. looking at what are the most common jobs in urban vs rural states), I would have thought. It's pretty much the same debate that arises in this country also (e.g. why did it go from hitting London the hardest to being far worse in the North? What's going on up there? I keep hearing contradictory attempts at explanation).

Last edited:
Reactions: pete6032

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Please. Covid doesn't care about health risks or age. It will infect any human the same as any other. Those factors determine severity, not infection rate. It's the same wrt testing & medical services. What's giving them problems in the Dakotas, Montana & other places is their headset, not the knowledge offered to them. Hail Trump!

I'm just not entirely convinced you can discount _all_ other factors, not without more detailed evidence and analysis.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
A friend of mine is industrial engineer, specializes in hydraulics for heavy agricultural machinery. He mostly works from home in a blue state, but he has to go for work trips around the country, obviously in deep red states. In the past 6 months he had to travel to North Dakota, Kansas, and either Mississippi or Missouri (can't recall which one). His first hand account is that no one bothers to wear masks over there, people don't care about social distancing, they just walk over to shake hands, practically hugging, the bars are packed with people without masks of course, not a single worry in the world. Is it any surprise it's spreading like wildfire in the red states?

On the other hand over here in a blue state several counties hit 10% positivity rate after opening outdoor and "limited indoor" dining, and schools 6 weeks ago.

Bottom line, careless stupidity and complete disregard for the personal safety of others egged on by the president and GOP as well as dumb social policy is what's driving this spike and it's only going to get worse as it gets colder and people will be "forced" to socialize indoors.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I supppose maybe one could show it correlates more with political-affilliation than with variables like population-density or wealth?