14 States set hospitalization records yesterday

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
A friend of mine is industrial engineer, specializes in hydraulics for heavy agricultural machinery. He mostly works from home in a blue state, but he has to go for work trips around the country, obviously in deep red states. In the past 6 months he had to travel to North Dakota, Kansas, and either Mississippi or Missouri (can't recall which one). His first hand account is that no one bothers to wear masks over there, people don't care about social distancing, they just walk over to shake hands, practically hugging, the bars are packed with people without masks of course, not a single worry in the world. Is it any surprise it's spreading like wildfire in the red states?

On the other hand over here in a blue state several counties hit 10% positivity rate after opening outdoor and "limited indoor" dining, and schools 6 weeks ago.

Bottom line, careless stupidity and complete disregard for the personal safety of others egged on by the president and GOP as well as dumb social policy is what's driving this spike and it's only going to get worse as it gets colder and people will be "forced" to socialize indoors.

Maybe in areas like New York (or London) that had strong international links so got hit hard early, learned the lesson? People in those places already know someone who got it or died of it, so are inclined to be more careful, whereas places that only got it later haven't yet taken in how bad it can get?

Reactions: DaaQ

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
$10,000 to every US Adult, no means testing. Costs $1.8T.

Helps every American, helps small business, helps large business, helps corporations, helps banks.

Allows people to stay at home and mothball non-essential services for a time to perhaps decrease hospitalizations and deaths.

Of course, it creates MoralHazard™ because it would create a precedent of the US Government supporting all Americans regardless of their campaign contributions, so nevermind.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Maybe in areas like New York (or London) that had strong international links so got hit hard early, learned the lesson? People in those places already know someone who got it or died of it, so are inclined to be more careful, whereas places that only got it later haven't yet taken in how bad it can get?

You need to hit 'em with a clue by four to even get their attention. It's a damned shame, too.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
$10,000 to every US Adult, no means testing. Costs $1.8T.

Helps every American, helps small business, helps large business, helps corporations, helps banks.

Allows people to stay at home and mothball non-essential services for a time to perhaps decrease hospitalizations and deaths.

Of course, it creates MoralHazard™ because it would create a precedent of the US Government supporting all Americans regardless of their campaign contributions, so nevermind.
Communist

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
What do Trump rallies tell you?

They tell me that political ideology is undeniably _part_ of the cause. Still not certain it's the only factor, though.

This whole crisis really exacerbates every existing problem and division.

When I go out I find myself not only getting annoyed with pedestrians who won't give me space to maintain distance, but also forming generalisations about who are the worst offenders (joggers are the worst - huffing and puffing and panting and then brushing past you within inches...women pushing push-chairs...couples - who insist on walking side-by-side...even 'people who wear masks', who seem the worst offenders for not keeping their distance).

I'm finding whole new categories of people to develop animosity towards.

May 13, 2009
Even liberals here don't give a piss. If someone considers themselves not at risk they generally can't be bothered to distance or wear the masks. It's not a right or left issue but more a selfish dip shit issue.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z
Feb 4, 2009
Even liberals here don't give a piss. If someone considers themselves not at risk they generally can't be bothered to distance or wear the masks. It's not a right or left issue but more a selfish dip shit issue.

What the fuck are you whining about now?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I think there is and always will be a difference in mortality visibility between densely and sparsely populated areas. In densely populated areas like NYC it was impossible to avoid seeing deaths, kind of hard to miss refrigerated trucks parked by the hospitals holding excess bodies. Red states may be leading now in deaths per 1M but the mortality rate is less visible because of lesser population density and overall smaller population. And I don't think it's going to change.

There are always going to be individual exceptions, but it has been shown that the more liberal a person is, the more likely they are to wear a mask and social distance.

Reactions: pmv

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
They tell me that political ideology is undeniably _part_ of the cause. Still not certain it's the only factor, though.

When I go out I find myself not only getting annoyed with pedestrians who won't give me space to maintain distance, but also forming generalisations about who are the worst offenders (joggers are the worst - huffing and puffing and panting and then brushing past you within inches...women pushing push-chairs...couples - who insist on walking side-by-side...even 'people who wear masks', who seem the worst offenders for not keeping their distance).

Where do you live, urban suburban or rural? I live in very high density in Chicago. It's virtually impossible to socially distance on the sidewalk but most people are fine with that. The chance of transmission from walking past someone is virtually zero from what I understand. I went out to the suburbs last weekend and people out there seemed much more worried when walking past other people on the sidewalk, probably because they aren't used to passing people so closely.

EDIT - I have been on public transportation, high rise bldg office, elevator, rideshare, airplane and haven't contracted it.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
You're a massive cuck for Trump.

Does he at least send you emails of him laughing at useful idiots like yourself, or do you just do this out of severe self-hatred?

Seek help.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I think there is and always will be a difference in mortality visibility between densely and sparsely populated areas. In densely populated areas like NYC it was impossible to avoid seeing deaths, kind of hard to miss refrigerated trucks parked by the hospitals holding excess bodies. Red states may be leading now in deaths per 1M but the mortality rate is less visible because of lesser population density and overall smaller population. And I don't think it's going to change.

Yeah, that has occurred to me in the past about the murder rate in this city. I started noticing lots of murders occuring at places very near me, crime-scene tape and appeals for witnesses at spots I regularly walked past. Loads of them, it semeed, got me thinking 'just how bad is the murder rate in this city?''.

But when I looked up the stats, the per-capita rate was still a small fraction of that of most major US cities, and in fact the murders I'd been noticing constituted the entirety of all the murders in this part of the city that year. They were just geographically close together and close to me, becuase the population density is high.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Where do you live, urban suburban or rural? I live in very high density in Chicago. It's virtually impossible to socially distance on the sidewalk but most people are fine with that. The chance of transmission from walking past someone is virtually zero from what I understand. I went out to the suburbs last weekend and people out there seemed much more worried when walking past other people on the sidewalk, probably because they aren't used to passing people so closely.

EDIT - I have been on public transportation, high rise bldg office, elevator, rideshare, airplane and haven't contracted it.

I guess this counts as 'urban'. It's hard to socially-distance because the pavements are narrow and the roads busy. And I get that the chance of infection from walking close to someone outdoors is low, but I am paranoid about getting it and passing it on to my elderly parents (plus I'm already ill, and couldn't cope with COVID on top of everything else). And it would not be hard to keep distance from people if only everyone else would make a small effort, instead of striding along the centre of the pavement, jogging while refusing to deviate 6 inches left or right, or walking 3 abreast.

Fortunately the epicentre of the outbreak (after initially being centred on precisely my neighbourhood) seems to have shifted to the North

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I kind of get the feeling that this county skews more conservative. For example, when I went into one of the chain auto stores, one older guy had a mask dangling from one ear, the other wasn't wearing one at all, and when it was time for me to pay, told me to just come up to the counter (around the cordon set up to keep customers back from the employees).
It's a mix. Everett, I think the county seat is plagued with the results of years of opioid crisis and meth plague. Boeing, well, Boeing. Still, mostly a Seattle bedroom community.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
In other words they didn’t respect advice smart people gave them that are based upon science because reasons.
That’s one scenario. You also have young people of all political persuasions ignoring preventative measures because reasons. You have some people who simply can’t be bothered because reasons. You have people who have hit pandemic fatigue because reasons. Even parts of Europe, who’s response was led by science, are struggling with a second wave.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Going up the country, baby don't you want to go?

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Just scientifically speaking anyone see a problem with a nationwide mandatory mask mandate?

Politically is a different question

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Have you been fucking paying attention? The ONLY person who has politicized mask wearing and distancing is Trump and all the lemmings follow.

Unfortunately all those assholes come in contact with others and they are the ones who don't give a shit about anyone else? How many times have we heard when it comes to mask wearing "I want muh freedumbs"?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Just scientifically speaking anyone see a problem with a nationwide mandatory mask mandate?

Politically is a different question
Scientifically? No.

Enforceable mandate? No.

But at the very least, the person with the loudest bullhorn on the planet won't be telling people that the virus is a hoax, that masks don't really matter, and that you can cure it by shining a flash light up your ass while doing shots of Formula 409. I mean, it'd be a start, 10 months late.

Feb 4, 2009
Have you been fucking paying attention? The ONLY person who has politicized mask wearing and distancing is Trump and all the lemmings follow.

Unfortunately all those assholes come in contact with others and they are the ones who don't give a shit about anyone else? How many times have we heard when it comes to mask wearing "I want muh freedumbs"?

Yeah even Moscow Mitch is aboard.