14% of those that identify themselves as "Evangelical Christians" say they have "no idea what it means"

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
Link

"More women than men said they didn't have a definition"

Thank God they've got someone they can blindly identify with now.

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: deftron
Link

Ignorant Christian Conservatives... There's a f@cking newsflash.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Not all republicans are ignorant Christians, but all ignorant Christians are republicans...

LOL - that phrase works with so many things... Hicks, bigots, ignorant christians, militant nutsacks, ultrawhites, etc etc...

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
No, but you could say that

14% of evangelical christians are ignorant evangelical christians

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The sad thing is, these are the better informed ones who know enough to know they don't know. Many others think they know.

I've long said that much of the 'evangelical' grouping is tribal in nature. That's a weakness, not a strength, IMO, encouraging the blind 'my tribe right or wrong' thinking.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
these are the better informed ones who know enough to know they don't know.

I guess they do say "knowledge is power"

But the ones with knowledge and power are the ones who manipulate the evangelicals.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Link

2/3 of americans from 18-24 can't find Iraq on a map
Text

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
(Quote from a second article)
According to the survey, professors believe 81 percent of college seniors are at a D or F grade level when it comes to American history. In addition, the survey found that many college seniors had a difficult time identifying words from the Gettysburg Address or identifying main concepts from the Constitution.
Text

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

\

Many graduating with four year degrees have trouble even balancing thier checkbook or proper use and understanding of credit cards.
Text

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So I guess my point is since there are obviously so many ignorant groupings of people out there with higher percentages of ignorance.
Why is it you deem a troll thread like this as being either relevant or worthy of more attention then any other group?

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
You said 2/3 of Americans 18-24 can't find Iraq on a map

I don't see the connection.

Maybe if 2/3 of the "Society for Geographically Identifying Iraq on a map" couldn't find Iraq on a map, I'd understand

And none of the people in your examples are pressing to have their
self-identities and group values forced onto others through
government representation and law.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
So what is it? I could really care less... But did you even read your OP?

Ellison Research found that 36 percent of Americans say they have no idea what the word means. Then it says...

Fifty-six percent were able to give some kind of definition -- but their answers varied greatly.

"We only had 56 percent of all Americans who could even give any kind of a substantive answer as to what an evangelical was," said Ron Sellers with Ellison Research.

"And many of those answers were so far off-base that they were laughable such as 'They worship angels,' 'They worship the Torah.' But 44 percent of all Americans couldn't even hazard any kind of realistic guess as to what it is."

Even among those who define themselves as evangelical -- 14 percent admitted they have no idea what it means.

The most commonly given definition was that of a Christian who shares their faith.

More women than men said they didn't have a definition.

The National Association of Evangelicals defines an evangelical as someone who believes that the Bible is authoritative, has had a born-again experience, and shares this message of faith.

I really don't know where they were going with this article ...

36% had no idea what the word means...

Fifty-six percent were able to give some kind of definition -- but their answers varied greatly.

56 percent of all Americans who could even give any kind of a substantive answer as to what an evangelical was," said Ron Sellers with Ellison Research.

"And many of those answers were so far off-base that they were laughable...

Wouldn't you think if an answer was "laughable" it would be wrong? I'd think so! :)

Then you have, 14% that had no Clue. AND....44 percent of all Americans couldn't even hazard any kind of realistic guess as to what it is."

I think the numbers got hosed along the way somewhere. More then likely it should have said 90% of all christains have no fucking clue and half of those are dumber then that!

That's my take on it.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005

Maybe if 2/3 of the "Society for Geographically Identifying Iraq on a map" couldn't find Iraq on a map, I'd understand

The whole point of your thread appears to be to make christians look stupid.
I am simply showing you society is full of ignorant people.
So therefore your thread is most likely born out of your own personal prejudice.
As opposed to any objective attempt to actually identlfy ignorance in our society.
/end thread

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: daniel49

The whole point of your thread appears to be to make christians look stupid.
I am simply showing you society is full of ignorant people.
So therefore your thread is most likely born out of your own personal prejudice.
As opposed to any objective attempt to actually identlfy ignorance in our society.
/end thread

The difference here is that some people that identify themselves as "evangelical Christian" but don't know what it means will vote for someone because they also identify themselves as "evangelical Christian".

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I don't know that I even see this as a big deal.

I didn't know what the word "catholic" meant until I was 16 and we discussed it in the theology class I took junior year (universal, btw). it doesn't mean that I had no concept of the basic tenants and values of the religion.