14,500 American Jobs being sent to MEXICO .. Thank you Hewlett Packard

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: GTKeeper
This is a question for dmcowen....

What is your solution for keeping jobs in america?

As a company you wolud have to be stupid to refuse cheaper labor.

I have proposed my solutions many times.

For starters Companies that claim to be a U.S. has to be actually a U.S. Company.

No more of this Company in paper only and all of the employees and manufacturing is located elsewhere.

Don't give me that Global Economy crap either, that doesn't mean "Remote Pillaging".

Companies can have all the cheap labor they want in the Country of their Origin.

Your proposal is to force companies to leave the country all together? That is a great plan.
Now you have eliminated any jobs they had left in the United States and the company is paying income tax to another govt.

Brilliant just brilliant imo.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Genx87
The Trade deficit is alarming and so is our deficit.
But I look at Microsoft more as a service company because they dont actually manufacture anything.

They write code and send it off to a place to stamp the discs. The service they provide is updates, phone support, and tech articles about their products.

I consider the "code" a product, just as I consider Linux a competing product (not service).

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Engineer
The Trade deficit is alarming and so is our deficit.
But I look at Microsoft more as a service company because they dont actually manufacture anything.

They write code and send it off to a place to stamp the discs. The service they provide is updates, phone support, and tech articles about their products.

I consider the "code" a product, just as I consider Linux a competing product (not service).

good point. I guess they can be manufacturing and service.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Engineer
I might tend to agree with you a tad Genx87. Only time will tell.

The trade deficit, as I see it, is a serious problem just waiting to explode. The national deficit just compounds the problem.

Oh, and I consider MS more of a manufacturing company than service. They do make a product and they do sell it both here and abroad.

Thank goodness that Asians typically don't write very good software. However, with China taking our manufacturing and gaining on the US (if not already passed) in science and engineering, it makes one wonder how much power economically China (and others liek it) can take from the US with both their low wages and stronger engineering society.

Time will tell...I hope for the best.....as all our standards of living depend on it.

The handwriting is already on the wall. Just look at our relationship with Japan over the last 60 years.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

For starters Companies that claim to be a U.S. has to be actually a U.S. Company.

No more of this Company in paper only and all of the employees and manufacturing is located elsewhere.

Don't give me that Global Economy crap either, that doesn't mean "Remote Pillaging".

Companies can have all the cheap labor they want in the Country of their Origin.

Your proposal is to force companies to leave the country all together? That is a great plan.
Now you have eliminated any jobs they had left in the United States and the company is paying income tax to another govt.

Dave was never one noted for his intelligence.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

Walmart likes the idea, anything for a cheaper product, right?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Oh come on, you honestly believe Wally World pays their fair share in taxes??? :roll: :laugh:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975

The American consumer has the power to keep corporations in check...they choose not to, which provided little to no incentive for these corporations to change their behavior.

You're completely right. As long as the US consumer can spend, they will, regardless of debt. They'll take a nickle cheaper trinket from China over a US made one anyway...all in the name of a nickle.

Solution to all: Intoduce easy to get credit cards to the rest of the world, especially 3rd world, and they'll increasing consumption 10X including many "now affordable" US products! ;)

Oct 30, 2004

QFT but in all honesty if the true isolationists had their way our economy would resemble one of about 1880.

We would all still be on farms manually picking corn and laying seed.

Are you saying that Americans couldn't be self-sufficient? What if the nation adopted a rational culture and increased the amount of capitalism in its economic policy while decreasing externalities?

Do you acknowledge the possibility of a form of "rational protectionism" that would allow for real trade of goods and services and a zero dollar trade deficit (as opposed to labor wage arbitrage), or can you only think in terms of 100% isolationism straw men that you can easily knock down?

The idea is to allow goods and services that are cheaper or of higher quality due to real improvements in productivity or innovation to be price competitive while screening out goods and services that would be price competitive merely because of impoverished foreign labor and lower government regulatory and taxation costs.

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Zipper your wallets shut my friends. That's your voice. And they'll hear it loud and clear.

They say the national savings rate was 0.0% last month. Hmm, if it wasn't for me it might be -0.4%.

But seriously, you see the fallout from all this globalization crap and falling American living standards. To that I say, stop spending, start saving. Oh, sure, in aggregate that's bad: the American consumer is the only thing that is propping up the global economy and if we spend less, whoops!

This Administration and the neocon movement has made me lose faith in the American economy's ability to produce good, family-sustaining jobs. I may be doing OK today but I am shoveling armloads of harvest into the granaries in anticipation of a bleaker future for Middle America. Globalization and free trade with countries that lack environmental and labor protections will prove to be a bad deal for most Americans.