"13 Years of Nvidia"

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
This is a pretty interesting article over at Tom's - it's basically a pictoral history of Nvidia and it's cards.

Take a look at the background pictures behind the cards while you're reading the article though - I'm trying to figure out what some of those old games are. Here's what I've come up with so far.

1: Panzer Dragoon
2: Quake it's Quake II, according to HOOFan1
3: Half-Life
4: Q3A
5: X-Wing vs Tie Fighter? Doesn't look like Rogue Squadron. X-Wing Alliance, according to ViRGE
6: Deus Ex
7: ??? (I'm really curious about this one -- anyone know what this is?) Giants: Citizen Kabuto, according to ArchAngel777 and many others
8: ??? probably IL-2 Sturmovik, according to ArchAngel777 and 43st
9: Battlefield...something. Battlefield 1942? uclaLabrat confirms it's Battlefield 1942
10: Halo
11: ??? thilan29 and several other think it might be one of the Colin Mcrae games, Udgnim thinks it might be Rallisport Challenge -- I'd have to go with Udgnim's guess here, based on screenshots of Rallisport
12: Max Payne
13: ??? Age of Mythology, according to taltamir -- evidently, the distinctive overgrown beetles that gave it away...
14: Deus Ex 2
15: KOTOR, not sure if it's I or II sticks435 confirms that it's KOTOR 1
16: Sims 2
17: WoW
18: CoH
19: SupCom

Some of those are wild guesses and may be wrong. I drew a blank on many of the older games :(. Anyways, it's interesting trivia, both as far as the cards and the old games. Maybe they'll do a feature on the history of ATI at some point.

:beer: and :cookie: for everyone who's weighed in so far and helped satisfy my curiosity.

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
I always love taking a trip down memory lane (no pun intended).

How envious I used to be of my friend when he made the jump to 64mb RAM. Looking back, I have roughly 1000x the amount of HDD space of my first PC.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Picture 2 is Quake 2, not Quake 1...at a very high resolution...but everyone knows that Voodoo was the king of Quake 2 with Glide

Pic 7 looks a tiny bit like Starsiege: Tribes, but I don't think it is

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
#11-->Some rally game? (Colin Mcrae Rally 3/4? Richard Burns Rally?) (The car models look newer than what they were in Colin Mcrae 2)

EDIT: As Udgnim has said, it's Rallisport Challenge

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Pic 7 is Giants: Citizen Kabuto - wonderful game... I wish I still had it somewhere. It had some rather funny british humor too.

Pic 8 looks like Combat Flight Sim 2 or 3, or IL-2... Janes also came out with one. Of course, these are just guesses and really don't narrow it down.

Pic 11 - Colin Mcray?

Pic 13 - Empire Earth?

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
I think 1 is Rise of the Triad. And #7 is definitely Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Great game, and I still play it. :)

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
#5 is X-Wing Alliance (the last of the X-Wing series).

smoothvirus

Jun 7, 2005
Heh, I still have my old Riva TNT sitting in a drawer. Come to think of it, I found an old Monster Fusion card in there too the other day.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ArchAngel777
Pic 7 is Giants: Citizen Kabuto - wonderful game... I wish I still had it somewhere. It had some rather funny british humor too.

Yes, that's definitely Giants: Citizen Kabuto. HILARIOUS game. In case you didn't recognize him, the voice actor for "Timmy" was Rob Paulson who later went on to become "Pinky" in "Pinky & The Brain".

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
And #7 is definitely Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Great game, and I still play it. :)
Reminds me I need to dig it out and play it again. Everyone should own this game.

I think She's right on #1 as you can see a dragon behind the card and they are talking about ported Sega games.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Citizen Kabuto! OMG that game was a blast. Alway had me laughing! I still have that somewhere around here.
"You Poncy Git!!"

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
And #7 is definitely Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Great game, and I still play it. :)
Reminds me I need to dig it out and play it again. Everyone should own this game.

I think he's right on #1 as you can see a dragon behind the card and they are talking about ported Sega games.
Yeah, the Sega Saturn reference is what made me think of Panzer Dragoon. And I'm not a he! If I had a dime for every time I've been mistakenly referred to as a guy here at AT :p...

Anyways, the timeframe seems right, since Panzer Dragoon for Saturn came out in '95. The resolution in that picture is not so good, but it does resemble what's on the cover of the Saturn game.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: AmberClad
And I'm not a he! If I had a dime for every time I've been mistakenly referred to as a guy here at AT :p...

Sorry force of habit. I shall make the correction. :)

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
I think that first pic is Hexen.

A bit off topic... I'm fairly certain that is Panzer Dragoon (looks like the first one?). Now the off topic part. :) I'm a huge fan of Panzer Dragoon Saga... it's probably my favorite game I've ever played. I liked that so much my wife even let me name our son after the main charactor of the game. Well, his middle name anyway. Even with that game often going for well over $200 on Ebay, I could never sell it. Now if only Sega would ever do a PDS remake on a current console.... ah to dream.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Creig
Originally posted by: ArchAngel777

Yes, that's definitely Giants: Citizen Kabuto. HILARIOUS game. In case you didn't recognize him, the voice actor for "Timmy" was Rob Paulson who later went on to become "Pinky" in "Pinky & The Brain".
He also did the voice for Morte in Planescape: Torment and Sir Anomen in Baldur's Gate 2, if I'm not mistaken.

Need to see about digging up a copy of Citizen Kabuto -- sounds like I missed a good classic.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
I think that first pic is Hexen.

A bit off topic... I'm fairly certain that is Panzer Dragoon (looks like the first one?). Now the off topic part. :) I'm a huge fan of Panzer Dragoon Saga... it's probably my favorite game I've ever played. I liked that so much my wife even let me name our son after the main charactor of the game. Well, his middle name anyway. Even with that game often going for well over $200 on Ebay, I could never sell it. Now if only Sega would ever do a PDS remake on a current console.... ah to dream.

the name of that game has always amused me "Panzer"...being German for armor...mostly used to refer to a Main Battle Tank and "Dragoon" a word for a unit of Cavalry that was meant to dismount and fight on foot during battle. I assume the Japanese picked the word Dragoon because it sounds like Dragon, and you are Dragon Cavalry, and Dragoon was derived from the word Dragon, for the Dragoon's weapon...but the game is neither about Panzers nor Dragoons.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Interesting Article. Good Find OP.
Creative TNT-2 Ultra was a THING back in the days.

:D

nbowman

Jun 7, 2007
I am far from positive, but I think #8 is from Janes WWII fighters.

Giant: Citizen Kabuto was an awesome game, haven't played it in ages...

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: nbowman
I am far from positive, but I think #8 is from Janes WWII fighters.
I think we have two posters who think #8 is IL-2 Sturmovik. I just checked Wikipedia, and IL-2 was released in 2001, which matches the year for the video card. Course, not having played either game, I can't say either way.

MBentz

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2005
It was good to see my first two cards again, a GeForce 2 GTS and a GeForce 4 MX440. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of those cards. After those, I had two Ti4400s (Leadtek and MSI) and a Ti4200 (ASUS) and again I wish I still had them. I then moved onto the 6800GT, and after that a 7800GTX I got on a price mistake on release day. I sold that and downgraded to a 7800GT to which I'm still using. I've never owned an ATi card, but that may be changing soon. :)

Actually, here is a picture of the non reference Ti 4400 Leadtek put out. Ah, I miss those days.