13 college football coaches mke over $1,000,000 per year.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
That salaries are not commensurate with importance. My local superintendent just signed a deal that makes him higher paid than the president of the US. Sheesh this is ridiculous. And the local teachers do not get their long anticipated raise this year because of a health care scam that robbed the school district of its coffers. Now how the hell did they give this guy more than a quarter of a million dollars? Makes no damn sense.

jjm

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
If Spurier's efforts put paying butts in the seats, then I suggest he is worth what they are paying him.

A separate question is whether we are idiots for paying the outrageous ticket prices charged at any sporting event.

kantonburg

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Carlos Delgado makes 17 million a year. Now thats crazy.

I can't wait to see what A-Rod is going to get. And you wonder why tix to sporting events are now about $40 a pop.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The highest paid state employee in all fifty states are football coaches.

(disclaimer: I don't really know if that is true, but it might be.)

I hope we get our money's worth.

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
Steve Spurrier makes much more money for his school and the NCAA then he gets paid for, so whats the problem? Just like Peyton Manning made millions for everyone else when he was in college, and now he's getting paid for it in the NFL.

U2fan

Oct 12, 2000
Lou Holtz is the best coach in college football.
Anyone know how much money he makes?
I think Woody Widenhofer gets $250k, he doesn't have to do anything for it.
If Vandy had Lou Holtz they would be better than South Carolina.
Vandy has talent, just not a coach.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
Joe Paterno is worth every bit that PSU is paying him, whatever that is. Even though they kinda suck this year, I am a PSU and a Joe Paterno fan.

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Joepa makes ~ $300K a year. You have to realize, these coachs bring in a lot of contribution $$ from alumni. In effect, it pays itself. I know Penn State gets more from JoePa's speaking engagements.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Coaches generally make a certain base salary, but then get all sorts of money for endorsements, speaking engagements, shoe contracts for their team (yes, the coach picks the shoe company that will supply the team with their shoes, and the company pays him a buttload)... etc etc.

In effect, coaches at major college programs make $1 to $2 million per year.

It's not about how much their services are worth 'in their goodness' to society, it's about supply and demand. There's only one Steve Spurrier that's good enough to keep UF at the level they've been at since he's been there. That brings in cash to the school. He makes whatever the school thinks he's worth.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
wyvrn-

I do agree with you that what is happening to the DISD teachers is pretty sad. Their insurance increase is far more than their pay increase and I hope the teachers do strike.

In Plano, I came here in 3rd grade, Doug Otto was superidentent then, and he still is now. There has never been a teacher strike in the history of plano schools - it can be done.

These DISD teachers need to strike and get what they deserve - or they will move to districts like Plano

Relf Lauren

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
IMHO, the only reason why these people are getting paid this much, is because others are getting paid that much...

Here's my logic...

Someone gets paid 1 million in hockey...well, someone else comes around who is better, and since they are better, they deserve to get paid more, right? Then someone else comes around, and they are better...so on, until you are where we are now.....these guys are getting paid lots of money (in terms of sports players, ie. Carlos Delgado) because they are better than the guys who are making like 15 million an year- whose to blame? The owners...

Thats my opinion, feel free to challenge/correct me :)

Relf Lauren

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
Well, its partly the fans' fault too then for paying $40 for tickets, $10 for a hot dog, etc.. The thing that bugs me is players like Kevin Garnett, who held out for his $120 mil contract. Does he really care that much about the extra $17 mil if he's already offered $103? Like one pitcher said about his $5 mil contract if he was worth it- "Is anyone worth that much?"

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Oklahoma's coach more than doubled his pay this week after his team beat Nebraska. He went form like $675,000 to $1.4 million a year and was given a 5 year contract.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's not a matter of whether someone is 'worth that much'. If the teams make XX amount of money, they are willing to spend XX-profit to get the best players or coaches to do well. That means if a team chooses not to spend that kind of money on the player, some other team will. It's not the 'fault' of anyone, it just means the sport as a whole is bringing in a lot of money. Some of it goes to the owners, some goes to the players, and as fans, we pay the bill.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
mack brown down here in austin makes more than a million, the most of any university employee. the athletics director is next, then a physics professor. then some more coaches. theres a theory about "superstar pay." a superstar gives benefit to not only the people in the immediate venue, but also anyone watching on tv, listening on the radio, or reading about it in the paper. a teacher simply doesn't have the draw, so even though what a child learns benefits him/her over a lifetime, a teacher simply can't benefit the millions of people that a michael jordan can.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
<<Joepa makes ~ $300K a year. >>

From his university salary, maybe. I bet his shoe and television contract puts him well over 1 million, easily.