12th WCG Birthday Challenge

pons66

Apr 17, 2014
Dear members of Team AnandTech,

For Nov 16th to Nov 22th 2016 SETI.Germany is arranging a challenge at World Community Grid on the occasion of the grids 12th birthday:

12thbirthday_logo_280.png

We would like to invite Team AnandTech to participate in the challenge and hope that your team and many members of your team will be joining and participting this event.

Be aware, only your WCG-Team-Captain can join your team to the challenge!
https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/challenge/viewTeamChallenge.do?challengeId=8127

More information and statistics regarding the challenge can be found here. https://www.seti-germany.de/wcg/1_en_Welcome.html

Your participation is very much appreciated.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Does this use CPI or GPU, and if CPU, what would a 24 core box do ?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, a noob at anything but F@H, but if you send me instructions for ubuntu, I will participate.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I could do some WCG.
Prime is both, but...31 VS 2
Arithmetic Progression of Primes 27 (AP27)

Wallis is Born Challenge project

Supported platforms:
  • Windows: Nvidia GPU1 (OpenCL): 64 bit, AMD/ATI GPU1 (OpenCL): 64 bit, CPU: 64 bit
  • Linux: Nvidia GPU1 (OpenCL): 64 bit, AMD/ATI GPU1 (OpenCL): 64 bit, CPU: 64 bit
  • Mac2: Nvidia GPU1 (OpenCL): 64 bit, CPU: 64 bit
1 GPU must have a minimum of 1.5 GB of VRAM.
2 Due to an Apple driver bug, no ATI/AMD GPU application is available for Mac.

Deadline: 7 days (up to 30 days)

Recent average CPU time: 30:58:03
Recent average GPU time: 1:40:48

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I tried downloading the client from their home page for ubuntu. Said it was running, but I can;t see a GUI screen to choose anything, and its not doing anything per system monitor

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
install via sudo apt-get install -y boinc
Assuming you are running non-server version of ubuntu, search boinc manager after install, you should be able to get a GUI

EDIT: Installing via berkeley installer there are several dependencies that are not installed and required for boinc to function, best to install via apt-get

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Did you get it working from the instructions I gave?

Right now I have a cooling problem. Its 55-60 outside, 50 at night and the AC is running a lot. Since I bumped up my folding farm, to 5 million ppd, I have to wait until its gets cooler. Also, I have other problems, I don;t have a kvm in that room, and it would have a problem anyway, I will see what I can do.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
I signed up with WCG for this contest. Noticed on my main rig about 200 pending downloads for the project. They would never download. So I reset the project a dozen times, same thing. Finally it did download, but they are not showing up to crunch. Event log looks good, not sure what the issues is. Even went on the website and checked off all projects to see if the few I had selected maybe didn't have work. But on another machine it's getting and crunching fine. Scratching head on this one.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Odd. WCG is CPU only, so ensure BOINC is set up to crunch always, not just while idle? Not sure the memory requirement, but I think it's low, but if the computer is in use BOINC has a lower limit on memory usage (50% by default). I've had that give me trouble on high memory use projects and always seem to forget to change that setting when installing new managers.

Also, I've accidentally clicked the button "Show Active Tasks" before and that threw me for a loop, lol. I clicked it again to "Show All Tasks".

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Yeah in "show all tasks" nothing was listed. Suspended all projects I had active and left wcg with all allow new tasks, that's when they downloaded properly. But nothing ever crunched crunched. How I first noticed the issue was Seti and MW ran out of work, in the transfer tab was all of those wcg units that didn't download. Behind those were the SETI and MW downloads. They would not download until I aborted all the wcg Wu's. This system other than when I'm gaming crunches 24/7 settings on high. And I haven't done any app_confit type stuff to wcg, so its bone stock. Just have never seen any issue quite like this. So soon as my cache is empty, I'm going to see if it will work again, then on to FAH. I would like to get it dialed in before the contest.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Finally got some wcg units going, since they are all cpu, ill get folding up and turning on the gpu. Still baffles me as to what the issue was.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

[H]Coleslaw

Apr 15, 2014
I tried downloading the client from their home page for ubuntu. Said it was running, but I can;t see a GUI screen to choose anything, and its not doing anything per system monitor

Mark, if it helps, I have a how-to here: https://hardforum.com/threads/boinc-installation-walk-through.1768558/ that covers Ubuntu and Windows installs. It is a bit dated but should work if you use the repository method. If you need CentOS 7, we have one here: https://hardforum.com/threads/boinc-installation-walk-through.1768558/ and if you would like NUMA aware Ubuntu setup, here: https://hardforum.com/threads/boinc-client-optimized-for-multisocket-machines-linux.1805578/

I'm not a linux guru but hope it helps.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Thanks coleslaw ! Right now too busy on an FAH project (ppd). And I am missing a KVM (in fedex right now)