Question 12th gen build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hlexe

Feb 27, 2022
Hi
Can't decide between 12400f vs 12600kf because getting 12600kf with a cooler is costing me almost double price of the 12400f. İf it was only for gaming, i would get 12400f but i will also use it for photoshop and premiere (not heavily but daily). i will use the computer for %50 gaming, %50 for photoshop and editing. İ read some amazon reviews saying that 12400 is getting too hot with stock cooler when using for rendering etc.
Should i get 12400f or pay almost double and get 12600k? Can't decide if it is worth that much price difference. Also, will getting any of those effect windows 11 performance in the long run?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
new cutting edge stuff
I can agree somewhat with what you're saying.

I had a couple of trouble items to deal with going to 12700K. Linux is usually more up to date than Windows so I didn't' expect it but, I had to blacklist the driver trying to be loaded for the 2.5GE port on the MOBO to get the newer driver to load on boot and bring the port up w/o having to modprobe it post boot. i also use a NIC that uses the atlantic drivers and they have been somewhat hit or miss on the latest kernels and I got stuck on 2 different builds at certain kernel levels but, finally got things updated to the latest 5.17.x version last week.

I didn't have any other issues though moving from 8700K to 12700K. There were some minor annoyances like the FW updates to deal with but, that's to be expected if you're not doing fresh installs of the OS and reloading everything from scratch. I still have a couple of new BIOS updates that have been released but I haven't bothered with them since "if it's not broken, don't fix it" applies. Since I'm not running a dGPU though I can't comment on that though most recent options should work if you have one laying around.

W11 thread director is where the oomph is supposed to come from for ADL though but, I'm seeing good performance from Linux at this point and there's still work being done on the kernel to get the CPU performance in line w/ Windows benchmarks by tweaking some of the options in the kernel. I think I'm seeing some of this progression with the 5.17 version that wasn't appearing in 5.15.x with some nuances showing up now on the newer kernel.

I think I'll be skipping Raptor like I did with the place holder 10/11th gen releases as the boost from ADL to Raptor isn't significant enough to be worth the cost. Now if something in the specs or chipset changes it might be worth a second look but, as it stands right now it's similar to the 10/11th releases where it's just not enough to trigger buy in.

hlexe

Feb 27, 2022
Just some general building advice, stay off the bleeding edge unless you are a skilled builder with a lot of patience.

I've spent 10s of thousands on systems over the years. I always had to have the latest thing, especially GPUs. Trouble is the stinking things rarely ever worked properly out of the box. Eventually after enough driver updates and game patches they would finally work as intended but by the time that happened the next shiny new thing would be about ready to come out and the stuff I paid full price for was on the discount rack.

Mixing new cutting edge stuff like W11 and Intel's 12th gen with older stuff is just asking for trouble. I'm sure it will be possible to get it all sorted out but your shiny new system could have you frustrated for a spell.
That's right. İ was also thinking about this. But i didn't get your main point. Are you saying this against "alder lake", or against "mixing old hardware with a new ones"? What you mean by "bleeding edge" is what excatly?
You mean "get some entry level processor from alder lake don't spend much", or "it is too new, stay away from 12th gen for now if you are unexperianced"?
What is your point excatly?

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
That's right. İ was also thinking about this. But i didn't get your main point. Are you saying this against "alder lake", or against "mixing old hardware with a new ones"? What you mean by "bleeding edge" is what excatly?
You mean "get some entry level processor from alder lake don't spend much", or "it is too new, stay away from 12th gen for now if you are unexperianced"?
What is your point excatly?
I'm sorry I don't fully understand the compatibility issue so I can't tell you exactly. I just don't want you to be disappointed with your new system.

It is enough to know that there might be a compatibility issue with your 970. It might work fine but I think you are sticking your neck out by insisting on an "F" series chip when a CPU with integrated graphics is cheap insurance against the possible compatibility issue.

Basically if you get unlucky and do have a compatibility issue with a "k" series CPU you will need to buy or borrow a compatible video card to run your system.

Plus unless your main board has 2 video slots you will need a second system to update the BIOs on the 970.

Reactions: hlexe

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
My decade old Ivy Bridge w updated SSD is still fine for everything I need except 3d video performance ( really so is the Lynnfield). Since 3d performance requires a video card and since video cards have been outrageously priced, I see no need to upgrade until I can get a modern card at a reasonable price. The whole upgrade is on rapid hold mode until card procurement.

Waiting has advantages. They are working the bugs out of the software and the once hard to find 5600x is now selling for less than $240.

hlexe

Feb 27, 2022
The price of 5600x + cheapest motherboard is same as the 12400 + b660 TUF motherboard. At least that is the case in where i leave. So i see no reason getting amd. Your processor maybe enough for you. But i don't think the same. For example my main compain is about the processor. İ have i5 4690 and gtx 970. And i am not able to play some games because of cpu bottleneck. İ could set the graphics to lower and get on with it if it was gpu. But when cpu isn't enough, that was the "ok it is time" moment for me. Also daily windows use is effected by cpu.
Waiting has advantages but also disadvantages. The more i wait, the less i get back from what i paid. Starting to use faster pc as soon as possible is good for life quality. The bugs will resolve eventually anyway.

Reactions: lakedude