126,000 new jobs reported last week, as per CNN, and Fox News

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
Good news for all. Manufacturing orders are up as well. The light at the end of the tunnel I hope.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Good news I suppose since any job is better than no job. I wonder how many of those 126,000 new jobs offer a living wage and benefits?

I have noticed in my local employment classifieds that available jobs in my area have become much more frequent. For the last 2 years there has been absolutely nothing available. I am happy where i am employed but like to know that opportunites for growth are starting to appear again.

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Although I haven't seen too much happen here locally, this is the final piece we've been waiting for. If unemployment keeps going down, the economy is surely making a comeback.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
... or practice giving hair cuts. I see "hair stylist wanted" postings at a number of salons I pass.

privatebreyer

Nov 28, 2002
I here mortuary scientists are expected to be in big demand in a few years. God Bless the baby boomers. ;-)

Anyway, the US is shifting to an information and service based economy. The manufacturing jobs will never return in the number they were once seen.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
actually im over here at TD brokerage and we are all hooping and hollaring about how it just droped 1 full percent?!?!?!? - somebody is not telling the truth.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Something doesn't jive about that number; it's almost .1% of the unemployment rate, which is about what it moves in a whole month. Either they're not subtracting jobs lost, or we're about to enter a new bubble.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
PrivateBreyer, I think that based on your posts that I can recollect, I would seldom admit to you being correct. But this one is good. You said,

"I here mortuary scientists are expected to be in big demand in a few years. God Bless the baby boomers. ;-)"

I appreciate the humor. It was humor, wasn't it? :confused:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Something doesn't jive about that number; it's almost .1% of the unemployment rate, which is about what it moves in a whole month. Either they're not subtracting jobs lost, or we're about to enter a new bubble.

huh?
It is net from what I've read - and I'm not sure why you'd say job growth is a "new bubble" since all the other data that has been piling up has only been missing job growth. Now that we see job growth it's a bubble? I'd subscribe to that theory IF there was no other data - but there is plenty of other data that has been increasinly good news.

PS - the Unemployment rate dropped from 6.1 to 6.0....so yes those numbers jive. It wasn't a 125K+ increase in one week - it was just reported last week. There was a thread about it;) The numbers for October were released last week - not data on last weeks increase.

CkG

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: ViRGE

huh?
It is net from what I've read - and I'm not sure why you'd say job growth is a "new bubble" since all the other data that has been piling up has only been missing job growth. Now that we see job growth it's a bubble? I'd subscribe to that theory IF there was no other data - but there is plenty of other data that has been increasinly good news.

PS - the Unemployment rate dropped from 6.1 to 6.0....so yes those numbers jive. It wasn't a 125K+ increase in one week - it was just reported last week. There was a thread about it;) The numbers for October were released last week - not data on last weeks increase.

CkG
If that kind of growth were 1 week growth, and continue on like that for some time, then we would be in a bubble, but since it's the October data(thanks for pointing that out), yes, those numbers jive for a month.

privatebreyer

Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Whitling
PrivateBreyer, I think that based on your posts that I can recollect, I would seldom admit to you being correct. But this one is good. You said,

"I here mortuary scientists are expected to be in big demand in a few years. God Bless the baby boomers. ;-)"

I appreciate the humor. It was humor, wasn't it? :confused:

hehehe

A little bit of humor, but its true. They all got to kick the bucket some day.

I for one would consider mortuary science to be a dead-end job, but at least its got job security.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
And there is stiff competition to get into the Mortuary business,
along with the fact that Cemeteries are a good investment,
as people are just dying to get in there.

privatebreyer

Nov 28, 2002
Yes, and they frequently find themselves buried with work.
Often times they can't even rest for any sustained period of time, and must do so in peaces.
They sometimes resort to sleeping on the job, a pratice known as dirt napping.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
... or practice giving hair cuts. I see "hair stylist wanted" postings at a number of salons I pass.

as haircuts start at $16-18 in la jolla, they make well more than living wage, no tip

don't worry, this bubble won't be as large as the previous bubble, the internet stocks YHOO, AMZN, EBAY are only at the ALL-TIME HIGHS they were at the height of the internet bubble, they haven't exceeded it yet...

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002
After the last recession (1991, I think is the official date) job creation also slowly recovered, ramping up to a sustained level of over 300,000 per month in the mid-90's until unemployment was driven down to a low level. This recovery seems on a similar path. I also remember hearing the same refrain from Democrats in the early 80's recovery and Republicans in the early 90's recovery that the jobs being created "weren't good jobs" and that we were "losing manufacturing jobs" but, in both cases, real income increased and the economy grew.

Face the fact that factory jobs are going away because that's what the information age and increased productivity does. The secret the union bosses don't want to tell you is that not only the US is losing factory jobs, but so is Europe, Japan, and even China. Yes, China, with it's great surging economy, is losing factory jobs due to huge increases in productivity.

It's not a bad thing, it's just the way of the future.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
as haircuts start at $16-18 in la jolla, they make well more than living wage, no tip
Yeah, the prices are going up here in NY and NJ, too, probably because of the lack of stylists available, so new salons can't be opened.
don't worry, this bubble won't be as large as the previous bubble, the internet stocks YHOO, AMZN, EBAY are only at the ALL-TIME HIGHS they were at the height of the internet bubble, they haven't exceeded it yet...
This is the normal way a new industry develops. Everyone saw that the internet industry was going to be important in the late 90s, they just didn't know (and probably didn't have the skills needed to figure out) which ones were going to emerge from the "gold rush" and become strong, profitable businesses. Now we know that Yahoo, Amazon, and Ebay are going to be the RCA and GE of this technology cycle. Look at how RCA bubbled before 1929 and then look at what it did afterwards. With all the crap companies that were merely along for the speculative ride out of the way, they could develop a strong, profitable business, just as the internet survivors are doing today. It's nothing new, really.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: KenGr
... not only the US is losing factory jobs, but so is Europe, Japan, and even China. Yes, China, with it's great surging economy, is losing factory jobs due to huge increases in productivity.
Not only factory jobs, but FARMING jobs, too!! What will replace the farming industry?? It's the basis of our EXISTENCE!

privatebreyer

Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by: rjain
Originally posted by: KenGr
... not only the US is losing factory jobs, but so is Europe, Japan, and even China. Yes, China, with it's great surging economy, is losing factory jobs due to huge increases in productivity.
Not only factory jobs, but FARMING jobs, too!! What will replace the farming industry?? It's the basis of our EXISTENCE!

Farming will never be replaced. We just don't need as many people to do it anymore. Were THAT GOOD.

Theres cases in NY were milk is dumped to keep prices at a level were farmers can stay above water.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Here's a clue, folks. Do you remember when Bush extended unemployment benifits twice in the last 2 years? Those people have fallen off the books. The unemployment rolls have dwindled and some moron bean counter working for the republican machine wants you to think that translates to job creation. BS! The only thing it has done is create "underemployment". That is working for substandard jobs and substandard wages. (BTW- this is a combined number, the 125,000, from revising last septembers figures and adding them to Oct for thier benifit. )

This feel good quinine that you see in the "market place" is just a bleep on the radar screen. It is not a trend. You can hope and pray that I am wrong and Bush is in his glory, having touted this so called success a result of his tax giveway, but nothing can be farther from the truth. His political machine is using this for politcal gain, just as he used WMD's for his private war to go get Daddy Bush's asassin.

I work in an unemployment office/government assistance office. We are having to ramp up staffing for government assistance now because those who could not find these "miracle jobs" are now at the government trough applying in droves for food stamps and medical for their kids, and re-training, and they try very hard to get money to pay the mortgage. I see women coming in every day in tears because they can't find work and they are about to loose thier homes. I see whole families living in shelters.

This economic news is the biggest bunch of crap I've seen in a long time, and what is happening in my office is repeated throughout this country,only in larger numbers.

You people need to get a grip on reality. The stock market might get a boost, but those people using our office sure as hell don't have stock.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: privatebreyer
Originally posted by: rjain
Farming will never be replaced. We just don't need as many people to do it anymore. Were THAT GOOD.
That sounds almost... like... our situation with manufacturing!
Theres cases in NY were milk is dumped to keep prices at a level were farmers can stay above water.
Maybe in a few years we'll dump cars in MI to keep prices at a level where auto workers can stay above water...
rolleye.gif