120hz monitor or a larger 60hz monitor

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Hey, i would first like to start this thread off by saying, Hi, i've been a long time browser on this site, but never actually made an account until yesterday and just wanted to say you guys have a phenomenal community here. Putting that aside, I'm in the market of purchasing a new monitor for my computer.

Last year i decided to ditch the monitor and go with a 40" LCD TV, ive been using this for a year now gaming at 1080p but i figured the TV isn't doing my pc games justice. I want to enjoy my games with the color and smoothness that i should be. I have been reading all over the net about the launch of all the 27" 3D 120hz monitors that are supposedly coming out soon. LG, ASUS, SAMSUNG, and others are suppose to be releasing them this month or in the near future. I know Acer has one out right now, but i've never been a big fan of acer.

My real question is, should i get a 27" 120hz @1080p or opt for a monitor which supports a 2560xXXXX? For all those who do game at that high resolution, do you actually see a noticeable difference in comparison to 1920x1080? Is it more worth it for me to game at 1080 with a higher frame rate count, rather than up my res and be stuck at 60? I have so many questions about this that i just need answered, I've never actually gamed at a higher resolution that 1080 so i have no knowledge about how it looks and feels.

I currently own a gtx 580 OC twin frozr edition, so if you guys DO recommend the higher res monitor, i have doubts in my mind that this card will even be able to max it out with AA. If you guys could be so kind to give me some input on this whole subject I would greatly appreciate it.

Much thanks.

Ghiedo27

Mar 9, 2011
. . . I figured the TV isn't doing my pc games justice. I want to enjoy my games with the color and smoothness that I should be.
I guess it depends on how much of a stickler you are for frame rate. If the thought of getting a 120hz monitor is enticing because it can show off 100+fps nicely, then you're probably better off sticking with a high quality 1080p 120hz monitor.

On the other hand, if you're perfectly content with a steady 50+ fps 30" monitors can put out a very impressive picture with that card you have. It will be more money, though. On top of the $1100+ entry fee for a 2560x 1400 display you're going to have to upgrade your video card more frequently to keep pace with new titles.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
My real question probably is, what would the HARDCORE gamers recommend?

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
Considering most hardcore gamers are only concerned about framerate and response, Ghiedo's comment answers that - 120hz is what you want. Beyond that you're in CRT territory.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
So i shouldn't try to advance my way into 2560x****?

I mean all i hear when reading about LCD reviews it people saying...

"Oh this monitor doesnt have 2560x**** not worth it"
"Oh its only 1080p"

I mean... im looking for best overall quality and performance when it comes to gaming. Its just confusing to me, because i don't want to regret my purchase especially since its not a cheap purchase.

Ghiedo27

Mar 9, 2011
My real question probably is, what would the HARDCORE gamers recommend?
Well, a HARDCORE gamer might recommend playing counter strike on minimum detail to get 400 fps and make it as perfectly smooth as possible. However, if you're the type of guy that ekes up the detail as much as possible (and you have the budget for a solid 30" monitor) chances are the bigger monitor is going to be a better investment for the long term.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
it really depends on what your expectations are and what you're willing to have your budget be

I have a Dell U2711 primarily for work however I also wanted to play on it, however I wasn't happy with single card performance given the demands of the higher resolution and my demand of high frame rates (I really don't like dropping below 40fps and would keep everything at least 60fps minimum if possible) which often meant turning down settings even with 4+GHz Core i7s and SLI GTX 470s.

In my case not only was the monitor itself expensive, the cost of the hardware to drive it to my expectations wasn't cheap either.

On the flip side I also have a 120Hz monitor, a BenQ XL2410T. I got it because I primarily play online FPS games and am competitive, I also stepped down to a single GTX580 for that monitor.

The conclusion I can come to is this: if you don't like the idea of spending the money on just the 2560x monitor, it might not be for you as you might find yourself wanting to spend even more money on the graphics/CPU just to drive the resolution to the performance levels you expect, and while a 2560x is vastly superior to a 1080p 120Hz monitor for general usage and productivity, there are less expensive alternative to address that - a high quality 1920x1200p monitor for instance, or a pair or triple set of 1080p monitors

As far as gaming goes it really does depend on the games and how you play them. If you're really into competitive shooters like I am then its a no-brainer to go with 120Hz. If you're really more of a casual gamer who just likes to get immersed into the game world then 2560x will definitely be the way to go.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
So basically, I'm the kind guy who HAS to run my games all with max settings at 1920x1080, so i guess what it boils down to its whether or not i want to dish out the money on a 2560 monitor and also dish out the money to make sure i can play at max res with a steady fps. I guess I'm going to cut my self short here and go with the 120hz monitor, I'm not sure if ill regret it or not. But i guess it will save my self from trying to run battlefield 3, and all other new games coming out at 2560 with full graphical settings at a steady 60fps.

Ghiedo27

Mar 9, 2011
Nothing wrong with 1080p at full detail v-sync capped. Good decision imo :thumbsup:

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Last year i decided to ditch the monitor and go with a 40" LCD TV, ive been using this for a year now gaming at 1080p but i figured the TV isn't doing my pc games justice.

It is not...you should have purchased a good quality plasma TV.

More to the point, I would wait until there are several 27" 120Hz monitors out and reviewed before making a decision.

-KeithP