12 yr old sued for downloading music...

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
RIAA is just evil. I hope in the end, CD sales plummet and the artists find other ways of getting their music out (and making money) and avoid those crooked corporate folks

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
She should sue for psychological damages in the billions. Let a jury decide.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3092854.stm

Grandfather caught in music fight

A grandfather has said he was wrongly accused of illegally downloading music online at the start of a legal campaign by the US music industry.
Durwood Pickle, 71, of Texas, said his teenage grandchildren used his computer during visits to his home.

"I didn't do it, and I don't feel like I'm responsible," he said.

Mr Pickle was among 261 individuals accused of sharing music files on the internet without permission.

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has filed lawsuits in federal courts across the US on behalf of major record companies Universal, BMG, EMI, Sony and Warner Brothers.

It warns those found guilty that they face fines of up to $150,000 (£100,000) per song swapped. Critics have accused the RIAA of being heavy-handed.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
PR nightmare. Don't they realize they're just doing themselves more damage? What are they trying to prove?

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Most of todays music isn't worth listening to let alone buying or even downloading.
When 33-LP's were King, they were cheaper, scratchier and less portable, but the
CD's take up more storage space now on shelves than an album did.

I don't do downloads - and the CD's are a price gouge rip-off. If I do buy a CD I'll
transfer that to the HD and store the CD and use my 'Puter as the player.

Ever since SONY got their claws into OUR music industry they have run it into the ground.
Sony tries to make everything they to 'Propriatary' - that's why everyone now has a Beta-Max.

As Franklin D. Rosevelt once said "Screw the Japs" - December 8th, 1941

charliebrown

Dec 2, 1999
Originally posted by: Wag
PR nightmare. Don't they realize they're just doing themselves more damage? What are they trying to prove?

Lawsuits will prevent downloading about as well as traffic tickets prevent speeding.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
it's hilarious that the riaa is suing consumers, and those who will obvioulsy have to purchase from it in the future.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
She should sue for psychological damages in the billions. Let a jury decide.
A very good idea. I boycotted the RIAA a long time ago for acts like this one. Never again will I purchase any music that might enrich any of those companies.

JackStorm

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2003
Heh...sure took them long enough. I had talked about this senario with some people I knew awhile back. Just replace the name
Brianna with 12 year old timmy and it looks almost exactly like it. I just hope they go after more kids. That way enough people might start complaining about their tactics. I mean, what the hell are they thinking? This is a PR nightmare that will hunt them for a long time. And yet again the RIAA reminds me why I stopped buy/listening to music (nothing but crap being released anyway). First price fixing, now suing kids. Yeah, this will be fun to watch, good ol DMCA. And let's not forget that the RIAA's people were behind that one.

Now I just wonder how long it will be before the patriot act starts showing it's true colors and people start demanding it's removal.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Apparently she downloaded "If you're happy and you know it" and the theme to Full House among others. Those two classics are cash cows for their label so I can see why she is being sued.
rolleye.gif

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I mean, what the hell are they thinking? This is a PR nightmare that will hunt them for a long time. And yet again the RIAA reminds me why I stopped buy/listening to music (nothing but crap being released anyway). First price fixing, now suing kids.
It is, I think, a last-resort reactionary move based exclusively on greed and fear. They may even realize this new approach will hurt them but they'll do it anyway to satisfy the urge for maintaining high profits.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Grandpa's fault, its his computer, his bandwidth, his responsiblity. If the girl stole a CD from a store and the grandpa was with her. Who's fault would it be?

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
What happens to those people who were sued by the RIAA? I mean, nobody has that kind of money. Let's say you have like 7 songs...that a million dollars right there.

So what's the point of this? I don't get what is going to happen to those people

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Reliant
What happens to those people who were sued by the RIAA? I mean, nobody has that kind of money. Let's say you have like 7 songs...that a million dollars right there.

So what's the point of this? I don't get what is going to happen to those people

Its not a million dollars. You've got Album A on your HD, you give it to three people. Each person gives it to 3 other people....and so on. I agree the costs are way too high. Anything above $20k is way too much and is still pretty high. However people should grow up and take responsiblity for their actions.

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Tabb
Originally posted by: Reliant

Its not a million dollars. You've got Album A on your HD, you give it to three people. Each person gives it to 3 other people....and so on. I agree the costs are way too high. Anything above $20k is way too much and is still pretty high. However people should grow up and take responsiblity for their actions.

the article said up to $150,000 per songs swapped. Seems like a buttload of money to me. I know I couldn't pay that much. So what happens if they sue me?

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
what's the max fine for shoplifting? $1000 + cost of merchandise? i dont see the difference between stealing physical property and digitial property. why is the fine for stealing digital property so much higher?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: kaizersose
what's the max fine for shoplifting? $1000 + cost of merchandise? i dont see the difference between stealing physical property and digitial property. why is the fine for stealing digital property so much higher?

Because its MUCH more easy to copy :D

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Because its MUCH more easy to copy
Consider someone who shouts "fire!" in a crowed theatre when there is no fire vs. someone who starts a real fire. I suppose you're in favor of a higher penalty for the shouter because it's MUCH easier to shout?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
Consider someone who shouts "fire!" in a crowed theatre when there is no fire vs. someone who starts a real fire. I suppose you're in favor of a higher penalty for the shouter because it's MUCH easier to shout?

I said I was in favor of a higher penatly? Where? Link, Quote thx....

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: JellyBaby

I said I was in favor of a higher penatly? Where? Link, Quote thx....
You're welcome.

Originally posted by: kaizersose

Because its MUCH more easy to copy :D

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
So has that girl started showing up on the national news yet? It'll be interesting to see the RIAA's response after she appears on ABC Nightly News...