12 yr old sued for downloading music...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Spyro
Originally posted by: Tabb
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
Because its MUCH more easy to copy
Consider someone who shouts "fire!" in a crowed theatre when there is no fire vs. someone who starts a real fire. I suppose you're in favor of a higher penalty for the shouter because it's MUCH easier to shout?

I said I was in favor of a higher penatly? Where? Link, Quote thx....
You're welcome.

Originally posted by: Tabb
Originally posted by: kaizersose
what's the max fine for shoplifting? $1000 + cost of merchandise? i dont see the difference between stealing physical property and digitial property. why is the fine for stealing digital property so much higher?

Because its MUCH more easy to copy :D

This relates too me saying that the person who makes a false firearm should have bigger fine that the one who commmited arson? How?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
I saw this on /., concerning the lawsuit and settlement (holier-than-thou RIAA trolls who think that if you hate the RIAA, you must be a theif who only cares about "stealing" music will definitely not want to waste time reading the following):
My source in Manhattan says the kid is a fake. A child actress hired by the RIAA in order to spook other people into fast settlements.
We're talking about an industry that pays people to call TRL. An industry that hires kids to stand outside the windows of MTV to wave signs about how they are devoted to an unknown act. They are not above faking an out of court settlement in order to make the kids think that this is the easiest thing for them to do.
It certainly can't be confirmed with 100% certainty, but it does shed an interesting light on the situation.

godspeedx

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2002
Let's say I only download music that I already own on a CD. I also have the option checked where I do not allow anyone to download files from me. Is there anything wrong with that?

godspeedx

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2002
Lawsuits will prevent downloading about as well as traffic tickets prevent speeding.

At what speeds do you think people would drive if there were no tickets? I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I'm just in a debating mood =).

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: godspeedx
Lawsuits will prevent downloading about as well as traffic tickets prevent speeding.

At what speeds do you think people would drive if there were no tickets? I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I'm just in a debating mood =).
Lol, I'll have to plead the 5th on that one (*amok shifts his chair around a little bit and repositions his lead foot*) ;).

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Actually, if speed limits are set properly, most people would drive at about the same speed they do already. Where speed limits are set according to political decree, e.g., the 55 mph limit, you would find speeds increasing.

According to traffic safety best practices, the speed limit on a specific stretch of road should be set to the 85th percentile mark: the speed that 85% of drivers will tend to drive at or below because of road and traffic conditions. In short, most drivers will tend to drive a "safe" speed for the conditions at hand. Traffic engineers are supposed to determine that speed and set the limit appropriately.

Anyway, that's the theory. It obviously doesn't work very well on intra-city expressways where most people drive far faster than is safe -- if they aren't so bogged in traffic that they can only creep along. It does work well on light to moderately-travelled streets and highways.

Just a bit of traffic trivia.

charliebrown

Dec 2, 1999

The speed limits (in LA at least) are a joke. No one pays much attention to them regardless of how many tickets are issued. Driving 55 around here is a hazard because the flow of traffic is going 70+