Info 11th BOINC Pentathlon 2020

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Credits to those who made this Pentathlon happen:
At 2 AM local time pschoefer said:
And so we are done with the active part of the BOINC Pentathlon 2020. Two intense weeks for the hardware and its operators are over. Much remains to be written, but at this late hour I stick to thanking those without whom the Pentathlon could not have taken place, or at least not in this form:
  • Jeeper74, modesti, pons66 and unterstudienrat for their active participation in preparatory discussions, this year for the first time including selection of all projects
  • shka for the main work in the machine room behind the web site, and aendgraend, HeNiNnG and XSmeagolX, who too contributed to the smooth operation of the SETI.Germany server
  • Jeeper74 also for the daily reports from the arena
  • Dennis-TW for the translation of the reports into English
  • modesti also for the french translation, and Cocagne for proofreading and for translation of the upcoming final report
  • No_Name for his input into the compilation of candidate projects
  • David, Eric, Krzysztof, Sergei and Fran for the not always easy life support to the servers of this year's projects
  • the 30 Pentathon teams for their participation this year
  • everybody who provided criticism, asked for clarifications, or made suggestions for future improvements through our contact channels (feedback form, e-mail, forum), enabling a meaningful discussion and future consultation
If I forgot somebody, then not intentionally. I am also omitting a list of various little things which I did myself; otherwise I had to ask myself how I could have achieved anything else during this time at all. ;)
(original post in German, translation including mistakes and stylistic flaws are mine)

[I still have to hop over to their forum myself, in order to pay respect to the genius and hard work of the Pentathlon organizers.]

Last edited:

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
They say 0000 UTC on the 19th, which is a bit confusing to me as well. 00:00:01 on the 19th makes more sense. :)

We did more than get Silver, Mark, we got Silver, Silver, Gold, and Bronze. ;) But yeah, Silver overall.

Markfw and many others gave us a firm anchor in Rosetta, so the rest of us could run around pulling our hair out running the other disciplines. We took a solid 5th place there. Thanks to all who ran Rosetta for us!

We under-estimated the participation level in the Javelin Throw, and dropped from 4th to 6th the last day.

Last edited:

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Glad I got that lightning strike on radar. Hopefully you didn't lose any hardware though.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Glad I got that lightning strike on radar. Hopefully you didn't lose any hardware though.

Everything seems to be in order. I had been debating selling that UPS. That debate has ended, lol.

The 8 old Dell's were not on the UPS and got knocked offline. 3 of them refused to start the BOINC Manager (single client machines) which is weird, but the uploads and work continued and were dry by this morning.