1151 socket replacement - broken pin, its possible to fix it or MB is lost?

ruthan

Apr 3, 2014
Hello,
i accidentally broke 1 1151 pin - its possible to somehow fix it, and replace whole socket or i already lost 150 bucks?
I store when i bought this Gigabyte mb - service guy said me, that in case of Asus - they are able to fix it, but in case of Gigabyte fuck off, board is lost.

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
Hello,
i accidentally broke 1 1151 pin - its possible to somehow fix it, and replace whole socket or i already lost 150 bucks?
I store when i bought this Gigabyte mb - service guy said me, that in case of Asus - they are able to fix it, but in case of Gigabyte fuck off, board is lost.

Have you tried to boot a CPU in it? If it's a Vcc pin or a ground pin there's a good chance it'll still work. Just make sure it won't short or something if you do try putting a CPU into it.

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
No, i have pretty expensive 6500T and i dont want to fry it too.

As long as you're sure the old broken pin isn't rattling around somewhere in the socket still or bent over and shorting against another pin it won't fry it. Worse case scenario is it'll fail to boot.

ruthan

Apr 3, 2014
Hello,
i dont like those half solution, if is possible to change socket and fix it i would like to, i want to sell board after that.

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
How do you "accidentally" break the socket on a mobo? I have a gigabyte z170 board, and really can't imagine how this could have happened.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Hello,
i dont like those half solution, if is possible to change socket and fix it i would like to, i want to sell board after that.

It would never be worth it to replace the socket.

The right lab with the right equipment can probably replace it for several times the cost of a new board.

Even then, who is going to buy a motherboard with a replaced socket with no warranty?

ruthan

Apr 3, 2014
Hmm, its booting, now Linux mint 17.3 live and Unigine Heaven benchmark running.

Only problem are colors in Unigine heaven - its looks like through green glasses, but colors in system are ok, probably problem of Intel linux Skylake GPU driver.

But i would like to still like to know, that broken pin doing, there is photo which one is missing, but i didnt find any detail SC1151 pins socket description, maybe is Intels secret.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2741044/1151-BrokenPin.jpg

How i did it?
It was simple, i was really in hurry, i had to catch a train and i want to take MB with me.. so i removed cpu and want to install plastic socket cover, i didnt have a time to search where is manual with description how cover should be installed and i tried install it wrong way and probably by a bottom stumps of cover i touched the pins, or maybe i did after that, when i transported mB without cover in MB box - it sack and there were some cables and wifi antenna at top of mb - maybe i closed box (this itx box is pretty small and lots stuff there) with too much strength.

Problem was that i was in hurry and in this state is bigger change to make a error.

Socket replacement, i found local service which saying that is able to change it, for 60 bucks, board is 120 bucks (GIGABYTE Z170N-WIFI).. so when i would sell mb with sale (i already bough new one) i would lost "only" 120 (mb price)+ 60(repair) +20 shipping (all shipping) - (100 sale price) = 100$ its quite expensive accident.

Not related to my service but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX_l6k6_4FM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6DK9gn5ECM

Last edited:

ruthan

Apr 3, 2014
It passed 20 hours of Unigine Heaven even on Linux, MB is probably allright, someone in other dissussion mentioned that i was only ground pin and on SC1151 is zillion groud pins.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Are there wrong colours coming up with all 3D stuff? if so you could get a discrete graphics card and bless your luck.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had a visual glitch for a few seconds, while running Asus RealBench 2.41 in Windows 7 64-bit. The video file that plays back during the "Heavy MultiTasking" benchmark, was all weirdly-colored and macroblock-filled, for the first few seconds.

So the Windows 7 Skylake video drivers for the iGPU aren't all baked either.

ruthan

Apr 3, 2014
Colors are ok i Windows and broken even other board, its Linux open GPU drivers issue.