11 telling charts from 2011

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
My parents just bought a new car this weekend, the Mercedes dealer we got ours at was (on average) selling a car every 15 minutes. We literally had 3 SUVs we were looking at get sold while we were looking at them.

Economy in shambles what?

that doesn't mean a whole lot actually. you can view it the same way with video game sales. But your talking about something which most people buy on payment plans. Like any payment plan, be it a CC debt or mortgage, your going to see visually lots of sales...and would have seen twice or more than that 5+ yrs ago...but that does not mean unemployment and well, basically, family income has increased for the general middle and low class.

Definitely those with jobs/income has cars to trade in, leases to make and even sales. They also probably have CC debt, hospital bills...etc but all that stuff has never changed. Since when has buying something you can't afford ever not existed? Of course many like me could afford to buy a new car as i have a job. but has nothing to do with the fact that if i lost my job, i would very likely struggle to get another that pays as much, let alone anything.

perhaps your dealer can tell you how many they repo'ed lately.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Lacking a response from the poster to verify, I called a Mercedes sales manager.

He informed me that a 'top dealer' could sell about 100 cars per month; and for a really peak month, a top dealer could sell up to about 160.

So even if this is a national 'top dealer' in a 'peak month', that would be about 5 cars a day, or less than 1 an hour, not 1 every 15 minutes, which would be like 900 a month.

Now, in one hour they were they could they have sold 4? It's possible...

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Hey, to a great degree, things are looking up!

obama-economic-record-hope-change-sad-hill-news-2.jpg

I like how gas prices are on there, considering gas prices were at around their 5 year low when Obama took office, after crashing with everything else. Remember that Oil hit it's all time high after 7.5 years of Bush and has not gotten there again under Obama.

Edit: For fairness and to prove you aren't just a political hack, why don't you add the number from Bush's inauguration day?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by boomerang

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 574x562.

I like how gas prices are on there, considering gas prices were at around their 5 year low when Obama took office

The chart is accurate except for one thing.

It's Bush's Economic record

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Lacking a response from the poster to verify, I called a Mercedes sales manager.

He informed me that a 'top dealer' could sell about 100 cars per month; and for a really peak month, a top dealer could sell up to about 160.

So even if this is a national 'top dealer' in a 'peak month', that would be about 5 cars a day, or less than 1 an hour, not 1 every 15 minutes, which would be like 900 a month.

Try the MBZ dealer in Orange County, CA.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I really wish that they would break out the top .01% on those charts. I mean even Craig has started using .01% versus 1%.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Now I am no Obama supporter and if you've read even a few of my posts you would know that very well but that is a purely partisan bullshit out of context chart and you know it. For fucks sake all the other side has to do is say every last one of those things was from the "Bush" recession and most people would believe that to be at least partly true. Granted, again the few of us that aren't blindly partisan, understand that it really isn't the "Bush" recession and that Obama is following in his footsteps but god damn, can't you assholes on both sides have at least sort of an honest debate? Just once to try it out? Please?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
i do not recall gas prices being only $1.85 when Obahma took office. If it was, it was either a brief dip due to oil prices or it was a very brief dip due to oil prices.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
i do not recall gas prices being only $1.85 when Obahma took office. If it was, it was either a brief dip due to oil prices or it was a very brief dip due to oil prices.

It dipped that low very briefly as an inventory clearing phenomenon in the wake of the previous speculative bubble of price gouging- notice the price 3 months prior to the election-

http://zfacts.com/p/35.html

That's the story of the Bush years in a nutshell- speculative price gouging followed by a bust. They just put the biggest bust off on Obama...

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Auto purchasing is just another part of our false debt-based economy. People buy more expensive cars than they can actually afford on credit, shifting more of the wealth to the top. They're completely complicit in the act, mind you, but it's still the middle class choosing to shaft themselves.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Now I am no Obama supporter and if you've read even a few of my posts you would know that very well but that is a purely partisan bullshit out of context chart and you know it. For fucks sake all the other side has to do is say every last one of those things was from the "Bush" recession and most people would believe that to be at least partly true. Granted, again the few of us that aren't blindly partisan, understand that it really isn't the "Bush" recession and that Obama is following in his footsteps but god damn, can't you assholes on both sides have at least sort of an honest debate? Just once to try it out? Please?
To what end? It's an Ausm thread - hello!

I understand that these internet political discussions are really meaningful, oh wait, scratch that, I'm not being honest. They're totally meaningless.

Jhhnn says it's all Bush's fault - no surprise there. He also says that I've been hornswoggled. He, of course has not been. Riiiight.

Zorba would like me to alter the chart to suit his agenda.

Any of you that take any post I make seriously has some serious introspection overdue.

I was gone from the forums for some period of time due to some major commitments on my part. Nothing has changed here and nothing ever will. Have fun and enjoy yourself. You're accomplishing nothing, never have, never will. You might as well get some enjoyment out of the time you spend here.

Given all that, things are far from better under Obama. That kiddies, is a fact. You can blame it on whomever and whatever you want but the fact remains, we're far worse off. Spin, spin, spin.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I really wish that they would break out the top .01% on those charts. I mean even Craig has started using .01% versus 1%.

Actually, I long have, though I go back and forth depending. I appreciate your making the distinction, because it's real. I wish they would to, but the data is often unavailable.

For good reason.

In fact, the IRS has largely published data granularized only to the quintiles, so the top 0.01% is bundled with the rest of the top 20%, hiding how much they stand out.

On the other hand, I've suggested looking at www.lcurve.org for a great illustration.

Wait a sec, 'even' Craig, hm.

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000

MB dealership is like going to grocery store to buy a pack of cigarettes or bottle of beer or soda...only to get a sandwich can take a little more time, but anyway, it would be faster than in MB dealership negotiate a deal and sign paperwork.... :)

I would not argue that some people would unload $$$ cash - it's always better to have something, that to have in your hand a bunch of worthless papers(what sooner or later can happen with $ - so many $ bills - printed and not covered buy goods made in country, are circulated over the world)

But, I've noticed another trend:
More and more people I see, when I'm, let's say in 7/11 store, paying for a coffee cup with credit card...What? no $2 in cash in a pocket?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
To what end? It's an Ausm thread - hello!

I understand that these internet political discussions are really meaningful, oh wait, scratch that, I'm not being honest. They're totally meaningless.

Jhhnn says it's all Bush's fault - no surprise there. He also says that I've been hornswoggled. He, of course has not been. Riiiight.

Zorba would like me to alter the chart to suit his agenda.

Any of you that take any post I make seriously has some serious introspection overdue.

I was gone from the forums for some period of time due to some major commitments on my part. Nothing has changed here and nothing ever will. Have fun and enjoy yourself. You're accomplishing nothing, never have, never will. You might as well get some enjoyment out of the time you spend here.

Given all that, things are far from better under Obama. That kiddies, is a fact. You can blame it on whomever and whatever you want but the fact remains, we're far worse off. Spin, spin, spin.

So, uhh, you admit that you're just trolling through?

Of course we're not "better off" over the last 3 years, which is a function of cause & effect. Credit bubbles, aka the Ownership Society, Self Regulated Banking, cutting red tape so you can buy the house of your dreams with a no-doc, no-down introductory rate short term ARM have consequences, and we're living them.

It's not like enormous debt overhang will go away any time RSN, either. Debt lingers, while the ability to pay for it disappears with a pink slip. It doesn't help that the balance sheet solvency of lenders would evaporate if they wrote off all the bad debt they hold on their books as "assets".

The sad truth is that the Bush era was one of false prosperity, similar to the credit bubble of the late 1920's, and the result of conscious policy decisions favoring the true Bush constituency at the expense of all others. That bias is alive & well in the form of Republican congress critters, governors, state and local officials of all stripes because it's what they believe in quite fervently.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I have to love the 'are you better off' question selective applied...

Carter inherited problems, but put the country back on track with Volcker and moving to energy independence, but since things weren't yet better off...

Obama inherited problems and has partly put things back on track, limited by Republican abuse of the filibuster, enormous lobbying and corporate money in politics, Republicans getting the House and other things... but he's ended the move to a great depression, the ongoing loss of employment, put what could be done through on finance reform... blame him while demanding we put the people who make it worse in office.

Reagan made us 'better off' with borrowed money, Carter's appointment of Volcker, etc...

And paved the way for the problems from the S&L crisis to de-regulation harm to the big debt to the transfer of wealth to the top from other Americans.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I have to love the 'are you better off' question selective applied...

Carter inherited problems, but put the country back on track with Volcker and moving to energy independence, but since things weren't yet better off...

Obama inherited problems and has partly put things back on track, limited by Republican abuse of the filibuster, enormous lobbying and corporate money in politics, Republicans getting the House and other things... but he's ended the move to a great depression, the ongoing loss of employment, put what could be done through on finance reform... blame him while demanding we put the people who make it worse in office.

Reagan made us 'better off' with borrowed money, Carter's appointment of Volcker, etc...

And paved the way for the problems from the S&L crisis to de-regulation harm to the big debt to the transfer of wealth to the top from other Americans.
I have to admit that I agree that it's a stupid question and that Carter was less poisonous than Reagan. Reagan fired (technically he didn't reappoint) Volcker because Volcker didn't intervene enough for Reagan. I wonder if Volcker is a closet Austrian. He's not a libertarian for sure, but I wonder if he actually realized that Austrian economics was correct.

It's so fucked up how every Republican President is more anti-market than the Democrat they succeed. If Romney becomes President, he'll regulate, tax, and spend like never before. It will be hell on earth for people who like the free market.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
For fucks sake all the other side has to do is say every last one of those things was from the "Bush" recession and most people would believe that to be at least partly true.

That's a step in the right direction that you are admitting a little bit that Obama did in fact inherit the mess from Bush.

It will take a long long long time to undo 8 years of damage Bush has done.

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
2001, September. Economy was pretty OK.
But "SOME" did know that economy will be pretty bad in the future.
"SOMEONE" suggested this article in newspaper that was on newstands on September 12th, next day after WTC collapsed.:

P5131019.jpg

Picture of article with "weird" title from 9/12/2001 New York Post.

Doesn't it look, like it's a controlled-recession?

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Doesn't it look, like it's a controlled-recession?

WTF are you talking about?

BTW, to the partisan people above, I say that all these presidents are total crap. Has anyone in the last 20 years actually done something good for America that you can brag about to anyone?