11 Beloved PC Games Studios That Had Fallen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I made a fast search and found this list of game developers. It is color-based to recognize the ones that have been closed. Just looking at the list now brings back some good (and bad) memories, I almost forgot about many of them. It just shows the "cycle" and nature of competition and business (or any other business out there), they come and they go, empires rise and fall. I believe the next big name to go will be BioWare... which is already "gone" for some gamers out there and only still exist merely by name.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
OP, thanks for posting this ... I really enjoyed the drive down memory lane. I still remember the first game I ever played ... Moon Lander on a (get this) PDP 11 mainframe. No graphics ... just words and numbers. I used an old teletypewriter. I was hooked from then on ...

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I used to love getting InterAction magazine from Sierra. I can't remember how many free subscriptions I recieved over the years just for registering games.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Spectrum Holobyte. Long live Falcon! I think I still have a copy of Vette somewhere.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
not even that list mentions sirteck; maybe i was the only one who heard of them ?

I made a fast search and found this list of game developers. It is color-based to recognize the ones that have been closed. Just looking at the list now brings back some good (and bad) memories, I almost forgot about many of them. It just shows the "cycle" and nature of competition and business (or any other business out there), they come and they go, empires rise and fall. I believe the next big name to go will be BioWare... which is already "gone" for some gamers out there and only still exist merely by name.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
not even that list mentions sirteck; maybe i was the only one who heard of them ?

Sir-Tech.

Wizardry series, Jagged Alliance series, Realms of Arkania series, back in the day they were the best RPG studio around.

ad3pt7

Mar 7, 2013
Bullfrog Productions! Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 were purely awesome games. That just made me nostalgia pretty hard lol.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
3d realms, acclaim, atomic, bitmap brothers, black isle, broderbund, cavedog, colorado computer creations, dynamix, epyx, midway, mindscape, pandemic, papyrus, talonsoft, troika, ssi, stormfront, ...not to mention dozens that were absorbed and for all practical purposes dead.
AI Design - I must have worn out four or five Rogue floppies before I got tired of re-buying the same game.

Dragons and potions and jewels, oh my, in sixteen glorious shades of amber!

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
OP, thanks for posting this ... I really enjoyed the drive down memory lane. I still remember the first game I ever played ... Moon Lander on a (get this) PDP 11 mainframe. No graphics ... just words and numbers. I used an old teletypewriter. I was hooked from then on ...

You are welcome.

I am the same way. I love to go back to a few years ago and remind myself how much fun games were. A lot of "playability" and fun factors without all of the gimmicks and graphics from current games.

nightspydk

Sep 7, 2012
Blackisle reborn. :p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Isle_Studios

It's more the people involved and they tend to move on, just they get in with bad influences. :D

As far as I see it the problem is more that games have become major business more so than hollywood and then the little details gets neglected. Those small things that together make for a great game. The best games today are done by nerds that got to much time on their hands. :)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
blizzard has become responsibile for well over 3/4 of activision profit, more likely activision will be on it first.