Question 10900k real world comparison to 3900k . Maybe, if I can buy one.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
First, I can't find one. I want to only pay what it was while in stock, $530 (or close). I will only buy from Amazon, newegg, bestbuy, or maybe some other place that I have forgotten about in the US.

Second, it will be cooled with a 240 mm AIO, as I have an Intel E5-2683v3 14 core running one of those, and all my 3900x's use 240 mm AIO's, so this will be a fair comparison.

NOW, If I find one, I want to hear from Intel advocates (and others are welcome) As to the best inexpensive (but must be equal to AMD that I have) motherboard to get a good real comparison. NO Overclocking. About $200-250 for the motherboard, thats what I spent on my AMD boards. The only x570 board I have is on my 3950x, so this will be 3900x on x470 vs 10900k on ????

So recommendations on where to find a CPU, and what motherboard will give a fair comparison to a 3900x. Again, this may not happen, if I can;t find a CPU. I am getting another Rome CPU soon, so money could be a problem.

Lastly, NO gaming benchmarks or comparisons, you camers can just read the reviews. I concede that the 10900k is the best gaming CPU by a few FPS if you are going for max FPS.

And my motivation for this project ? "put your money where your mouth is". I am going to TRY and do that here.

Last edited:

Yeroon

Mar 19, 2017
With the distributed computing stuff mark does, the intel might have an edge in some things. Anything able to make use of avx512 ?

I've seen it mentioned a few times here, but 10900K doesnt support anything past avx2. Its still rehashed skylake round 4.
You'd need the 10900X hedt for versions of avx-512.

Reactions: Ken g6

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I've seen it mentioned a few times here, but 10900K doesnt support anything past avx2. Its still rehashed skylake round 4.
That won't help what I try to do, or this thread.

I just think that other than a few FPS on gaming, its hot and sucks a lot of power. I just ordered my second EPYC 7742. They take 225 watts for 64 cores. Thats at 24/7 @ 100% usage.

Who cares about AVX512. Surely not me.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
The only distributed computing scenarios with AVX512 that I'm aware of are purpose-written corporate/private projects not open to the public. Would make no sense to pay the premium if nothing on BOINC or F@H can use it.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Is it worth actually buying a Comet Lake CPU right now? Isn't this supposedly the last 14nm milk for Intel? 10nm or 7nm (whatever they call it internally) is around the corner or is it a long way off? I keep visiting microcenter and newegg sites often lately which tells me I have the upgrade itch. But, I don't mind waiting for Intels die shrink gen to see how that goes, or at the very least Zen3 from AMD.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Is it worth actually buying a Comet Lake CPU right now?

For gaming yes. But it's hard to acquire in DIY so it may not even be an option.

Isn't this supposedly the last 14nm milk for Intel?

Nope, one more next year, called Rocket Lake.

10nm or 7nm (whatever they call it internally) is around the corner or is it a long way off?

For desktop it's another two years for something that's not 14 nm.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
BTW, I already just got another EPYC 7742, so if it becomes available, I may have to wait a bit before I get it. This is just a test anyways,

Reactions: Drazick

Yeroon

Mar 19, 2017
That won't help what I try to do, or this thread.

I just think that other than a few FPS on gaming, its hot and sucks a lot of power. I just ordered my second EPYC 7742. They take 225 watts for 64 cores. Thats at 24/7 @ 100% usage.

Who cares about AVX512. Surely not me.
The only distributed computing scenarios with AVX512 that I'm aware of are purpose-written corporate/private projects not open to the public. Would make no sense to pay the premium if nothing on BOINC or F@H can use it.

I was merely pointing out to other users who seemed to think the 10900K had avx512, and that there might be a benefit to that over a zen2 cpu.

I think most DC type applications would sooner move to opencl type work, as the gpu power available would be far more than a HEDT/server only instruction set as of now.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
I was merely pointing out to other users who seemed to think the 10900K had avx512, and that there might be a benefit to that over a zen2 cpu.

I think most DC type applications would sooner move to opencl type work, as the gpu power available would be far more than a HEDT/server only instruction set as of now.
Too late. The largest DC application, Folding @ Home, has been using Cuda for years now. I'm not sure whether or not it can be run with OpenCL, but I would imagine that it can.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
It can. The question is whether they've chosen to do so. As I recall, almost all work units do not utilize it.
It honestly wouldn't matter if it could use it. Only an extremely small percentage of the processors doing all of the different types of distributed computing, at least those owned by individuals and not by companies, are able to run AVX 512 code. That's the reason that more or less all of them the software uses AVX 2. Every Intel CPU since the first gen Haswells can run AVX 2. It would be counterintuitive, and even counterproductive for them to waste their time/resources to write code that maybe 0.5-1% of the CPUs running their code can benefit from.

edit: Or am I being Captain Obvious to point that out?:confused:

Last edited:

Yeroon

Mar 19, 2017
Too late. The largest DC application, Folding @ Home, has been using Cuda for years now. I'm not sure whether or not it can be run with OpenCL, but I would imagine that it can.

Folding at home with gpu is OpenCL only right now, using both SP and DP precision as needed (a22 core). Cpu core is avx-256. Most other projects are still cpu only, though occasionally a gpu project will run for a while. Nearly all cpu projects that I know of utilize avx2 when available.

I'm of the opinion the money is much better spent towards epyc, as Mark has already done. Anyone who buys a 10900K for something outside of gaming either has a specific workload that happens to work better on intel, perf/watt be damned, or they have their head in the sand. (Competitive overclocking gets an exception)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Folding at home with gpu is OpenCL only right now, using both SP and DP precision as needed (a22 core). Cpu core is avx-256. Most other projects are still cpu only, though occasionally a gpu project will run for a while. Nearly all cpu projects that I know of utilize avx2 when available.

I'm of the opinion the money is much better spent towards epyc, as Mark has already done. Anyone who buys a 10900K for something outside of gaming either has a specific workload that happens to work better on intel, perf/watt be damned, or they have their head in the sand. (Competitive overclocking gets an exception)
Yes, I do all my F@H on GPU, and WCG and Rosetta (BOINC) on CPU. The most efficient CPU is the EPYC series. 7002 series to be exact. This will be my 5th system, and my 3rd Rome system. Naples is barely better than Ryzen.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
This page led me to believe that: https://foldingathome.org/faqs/gpu3...questions/what-gpus-are-supported/for-nvidia/ Note that I am not saying that you are wrong.

edit: Deleted the 2nd quoted paragraph, to which I was not responding.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well, I will say this... PPD is almost directly related to cuda cores. (within a family, like 1000 or 2000 series)

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Mark, do you happen to know why most people use nVidia cards for F@H, when AMD cards have always dominated, when it came to OpenCL performance?

edit: I mean most of the people who fold for Team Anandtech, not most of the people worldwide, BTW.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Mark, do you happen to know why most people use nVidia cards for F@H, when AMD cards have always dominated, when it came to OpenCL performance?
In F@H, Nvidia cards are almost double the PPD/$ of AMD cards. I think its due to all the calculations are not double precision, THERE AMD cards KILL Nvidia.

Yeroon

Mar 19, 2017
I believe the gpu core is based around openMM, and the code is optimized far better for nvidia in general, even when cuda is not used. Cuda has been the dominant api in that field, so it makes sense that if majority of your cards are already nvidia, thats what you optimize for. Its also a self feeding loop, people buy the card that nets the most perf/$.

Reactions: moinmoin

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999