Question 10900k real world comparison to 3900k . Maybe, if I can buy one.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
First, I can't find one. I want to only pay what it was while in stock, $530 (or close). I will only buy from Amazon, newegg, bestbuy, or maybe some other place that I have forgotten about in the US.

Second, it will be cooled with a 240 mm AIO, as I have an Intel E5-2683v3 14 core running one of those, and all my 3900x's use 240 mm AIO's, so this will be a fair comparison.

NOW, If I find one, I want to hear from Intel advocates (and others are welcome) As to the best inexpensive (but must be equal to AMD that I have) motherboard to get a good real comparison. NO Overclocking. About $200-250 for the motherboard, thats what I spent on my AMD boards. The only x570 board I have is on my 3950x, so this will be 3900x on x470 vs 10900k on ????

So recommendations on where to find a CPU, and what motherboard will give a fair comparison to a 3900x. Again, this may not happen, if I can;t find a CPU. I am getting another Rome CPU soon, so money could be a problem.

Lastly, NO gaming benchmarks or comparisons, you camers can just read the reviews. I concede that the 10900k is the best gaming CPU by a few FPS if you are going for max FPS.

And my motivation for this project ? "put your money where your mouth is". I am going to TRY and do that here.

Last edited:

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I thought about doing something a bit similar, however there were a few issues:

1. Hardware availability
  2. I would ideally get a new GPU and I refuse to plonk down 4 figures for a 2080ti when we will get a total refresh in 3-4 months.
The major difference is that I wanted to get a top notch RAM kit for testing both systems and I don’t care about limiting the CPU boost. I wanted to test a bunch of different workloads including gaming.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I thought about doing something a bit similar, however there were a few issues:

1. Hardware availability
  2. I would ideally get a new GPU and I refuse to plonk down 4 figures for a 2080ti when we will get a total refresh in 3-4 months.
The major difference is that I wanted to get a top notch RAM kit for testing both systems and I don’t care about limiting the CPU boost. I wanted to test a bunch of different workloads including gaming.
My effort will not include gaming at all. So it would be great if you gig that. Still OOS everywhere. paper launch.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
Not sure what exactly you're trying to prove here?

I think its universally understood that in core/thread heavy workloads the 10900K stands no chance against a 3900X, especially at stock speeds and power limits in place, which is what you'll be running at.

If you have the cash to spend, sure, it might be a fun build, something different to your Ryzen and TR rigs, but it seems a pretty expensive exercise if you're trying to 'prove the intel fanboys wrong' IMO.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007

I think its universally understood that in core/thread heavy workloads the 10900K stands no chance against a 3900X, especially at stock speeds and power limits in place, which is what you'll be running at.

If you have the cash to spend, sure, it might be a fun build, something different to your Ryzen and TR rigs, but it seems a pretty expensive exercise if you're trying to 'prove the intel fanboys wrong' IMO.
with most thing today it pays to do some testing of the conventional wisdom in the real world. Mark knows his workloads and who knows maybe the intel offering will surprise. I remember when IdontCare was active here and him explaining repeatedly that the amd bulldozer actually performed better for his stock/currency trading software than intel. value-wise the 3900x will be better, but if he needs the folding power he should know exactly what his options are.

Reactions: Tlh97

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Ryzen 3900/3950 is better in every possible way other than gaming.

Nah intel with QuickSync and encoding / transcoding rules unless you want to drop another 400-800 dollars on a quadro with NVEC.
Handbrake Performance for example, when using QSV and a Ryzen Solo, the Intel processor is sure to win.
However if encoding is your thing, i do not think AMD has a AVX-512 yet, which again, is standard, although i hear this is debatable.

But if your rendering with blender, or doing other stuff not related to video transcoding / encoding, yeah Ryzen does have the advantage.

@Markfw
I would not even bother with your test.
Not meaning any offense, but i do not think you hold enough credibility with the intel crowd to prove anything, and it will be just you wasting your time. You will at best be rubbing salt and making a lot of people salty as well as users picking at your methodology heavily saying it was "Rigged".
Its best to just not to tread into those waters, as i have been waddling in them a long time ago.

Not to mention you will not find a 10900K for the price your looking at for a long time.

This attempt at whatever your trying to prove is probably better off spent on the RTX 3080 when it comes out, or getting another Ryzen rig to boost your IPC daily count in Distributing Computing.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Nah intel with QuickSync and encoding / transcoding rules unless you want to drop another 400-800 dollars on a quadro with NVEC.
Handbrake Performance for example, when using QSV and a Ryzen Solo, the Intel processor is sure to win.
However if encoding is your thing, i do not think AMD has a AVX-512 yet, which again, is standard, although i hear this is debatable.

But if your rendering with blender, or doing other stuff not related to video transcoding / encoding, yeah Ryzen does have the advantage.

@Markfw
I would not even bother with your test.
Not meaning any offense, but i do not think you hold enough credibility with the intel crowd to prove anything, and it will be just you wasting your time. You will at best be rubbing salt and making a lot of people salty as well as users picking at your methodology heavily saying it was "Rigged".
Its best to just not to tread into those waters, as i have been waddling in them a long time ago.

Not to mention you will not find a 10900K for the price your looking at for a long time.

This attempt at whatever your trying to prove is probably better off spent on the RTX 3080 when it comes out, or getting another Ryzen rig to boost your IPC daily count in Distributing Computing.
Well, you have a lot of good points. But since I am at my electrical limit, what I can do best is eliminate the old power inefficeient Xeons and 1950x's and get EPYC chips. I can just about do a 7742 with the sam power as a 1950x or s 2683v3 (close)

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
As awesome as a 10900k is for gaming at least, there is no placement for displacement on work i am sure. I rather have the cores Mark.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I think its universally understood that in core/thread heavy workloads the 10900K stands no chance against a 3900X
The 10900K when allowed the power draw does beat the 3900X in a lot of tasks.

especially at stock speeds and power limits in place, which is what you'll be running at.
What will be interesting is how 10/20 stacks up against a 3900X at 12/24, both with good cooling and at stock. We would expect a 16% lower performance level in heavily threaded tasks like distributed computing. Who knows what we'll get? No one has done benchmarks as far as I know on distributed computing.

What I'd like to see is power draw, temps, and performance of PrimeGrid on 10900K vs 3700X vs 3900X vs 3950X - all at peak overclock.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
all at peak overclock.

You cant because of the silicon lottery rule, which requires you to have multipul samples of each subset to get a decient spread on peak overclock.
I can pull out Intel cherry picked cpu's i had in the past on cherry boards with Beta Bios written by Shimano himself, and it would completely prove nothing on what the chip is able to do expect wishful thinking.

You will get people saying its rigged on one side, and others will take it not as a grain of salt, but as a bible when its a pure miracle to reproduce unless you happen to have my exact equiptment.

This is why i said the test is pointless, not unless you are willing to invest heavily into multipul samples, or get sponsored by intel directly and be allowed a Tray to hand pick from. (which the latter fell into my situation back when i was active.)

The only valid test at Mark's level would be a PURE OEM Stock test, where he takes the CPU @ STOCK OEM value, and runs its course.
But again, he will have people raging at him saying he rigged the test somehow, or people stating that the chips can do so much better overclocked *insert a million other reasons for people to rant*, turning the entire test into a pile of cow maneur.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Doesn't QuickSync still have issues with file size and quality? Not everybody is covered there. There certainly are a lot of people who have used the feature though.

Reactions: Mk pt

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
with most thing today it pays to do some testing of the conventional wisdom in the real world. Mark knows his workloads and who knows maybe the intel offering will surprise. I remember when IdontCare was active here and him explaining repeatedly that the amd bulldozer actually performed better for his stock/currency trading software than intel. value-wise the 3900x will be better, but if he needs the folding power he should know exactly what his options are.

Where did he go? :(

Oh. :(

I tend check out for years at a time when life is busy too, but my value add is near zero :D

(And there was a near decade long snoozefest there in CPU's too)

Last edited:

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Where did he go? :(

Oh. :(

I tend check out for years at a time when life is busy too, but my value add is near zero :D

(And there was a near decade long snoozefest there in CPU's too)
Last post in that thread was 2014. IDC did post in it, however.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Yeah Intel isn't going to supply DIY much. Amazon had the 10900K for a whopping 10 minutes back on May 22nd and hasn't had it in stock since. Newegg never really had it in stock.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Wrt Adobe Premiere et al starting with update 14.2 QuickSync is no longer the big selling point it previously was since Adobe now finally allows using any GPU directly using CUDA and Open CL.

Yeah but the biggest issue is that it requires either hacked drivers from nvidia if your going to use a GTX, or a Quadro Card to get NVEC to run properly. The GTX is limited to 2-4 max transcodes, while Quadros p2000 and > have unlimited.
That's an additional expensive IMO, vs just getting a CPU with QSV.

Basically Intel is a better cpu for Streamers as QSV i has lower latency, but NVEC allows multiple passes.
But the 8th and 9th gen HD Iris PRO is also fairly acceptable at HVEC again aimed at streamers, and youtube content creators which are not on a large scale, because then i assume you would probably have a dedicated HEDT system for that.

But you also have to note when it comes to encoding, MOAR CORES is actually along the lines of heavily dimished returns as you want less but faster cores < or = 6 to do the encoding. This niche fills nicely with a Intel Processor, letting it do the Encoding / Transcoding, while you let your dedicated card run buck wild in full on gaming.

But again if your a large scale production, your going HEDT, i assume you also have that massive Quadro RTX card in it as well, to bulldoze though, and QSV probably would be at the bottom of your bucket list in wants.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I wonder if AMD has been saving up the best binned dies for the XT series, as a nice holdover until Zen3. If that's the case, it really might be worth grabbing one ASAP, as they might be more of an 'SE' situation than a permanent SKU. I mean it's impossible to say for sure of course, but it feels like the best CPUs for a while now, even before human malware, are worth preordering and getting when the opportunities arise, otherwise they can vanish quickly, or take a while to gather significant stock.
I am a reader of rumor threads. Mostly by the google news on my Android phone. I piece together the inside story. AMD said as far back as the end of 2019 that Zen 3 was ready. They have a cadence for releasing their products that they stick to unless their competition comes out with something that requires a rapid response. Because of the success of Zen 2 based on performance alone. I think they wanted an early test run of the enhanced 7nm commonly referred to as 7nm+ that Zen 3 is based on. Based on all the reviews from the Linus types among others. Everything is binned correctly. The age of golden chips is gone. When you see a CPU putting up very low voltage (XT chips) with 200-400mhz clock speeds. You have to conclude they are using new silicon or a new process. It's a pretty safe bet that AMD will announce the XT chips based on Zen3 7nm+ silicon.

Reactions: lightmanek

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017

Read and suffer through the last few pages of both Comet Lake threads and you'll see.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
With the distributed computing stuff mark does, the intel might have an edge in some things. Anything able to make use of avx512

highly doubt it.

DC = MOAR CORES^2 unless its supports GPU then its probably MOAR GPU~!

The only way intel will win a Ryzen is straight up either gaming, or your a twitch streamer.
Even Youtube content creators unless again your low scale will use HEDT (most likely a ThreadRipper due to the plethora of PCI-E lanes) with Quadro P2000 at the very minimum.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
highly doubt it.

DC = MOAR CORES^2 unless its supports GPU then its probably MOAR GPU~!

The only way intel will win a Ryzen is straight up either gaming, or your a twitch streamer.
Even Youtube content creators unless again your low scale will use HEDT (most likely a ThreadRipper due to the plethora of PCI-E lanes) with Quadro P2000 at the very minimum.

This 110%