Question 10900k real world comparison to 3900k . Maybe, if I can buy one.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
First, I can't find one. I want to only pay what it was while in stock, $530 (or close). I will only buy from Amazon, newegg, bestbuy, or maybe some other place that I have forgotten about in the US.

Second, it will be cooled with a 240 mm AIO, as I have an Intel E5-2683v3 14 core running one of those, and all my 3900x's use 240 mm AIO's, so this will be a fair comparison.

NOW, If I find one, I want to hear from Intel advocates (and others are welcome) As to the best inexpensive (but must be equal to AMD that I have) motherboard to get a good real comparison. NO Overclocking. About $200-250 for the motherboard, thats what I spent on my AMD boards. The only x570 board I have is on my 3950x, so this will be 3900x on x470 vs 10900k on ????

So recommendations on where to find a CPU, and what motherboard will give a fair comparison to a 3900x. Again, this may not happen, if I can;t find a CPU. I am getting another Rome CPU soon, so money could be a problem.

Lastly, NO gaming benchmarks or comparisons, you camers can just read the reviews. I concede that the 10900k is the best gaming CPU by a few FPS if you are going for max FPS.

And my motivation for this project ? "put your money where your mouth is". I am going to TRY and do that here.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
He was wrong. Part of his argument was e-waste. Yet his audience is primarily DIY, and we are savvy. Which means we sell our used parts, we are not adverse to buying used parts, and we almost never trash working PC parts.

Very true, no such thing as e-waste especially with me, i got a 2500k sitting in my living room from 2011. It will be donated or sold for dirt cheap when i upgrade again, cause the 7700k my friend has will go in there in its place cause she will get what i am currently using. Always have passed my stuff around.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Newegg had it in stock for almost a whole hour today! I wonder how many they got, 10 maybe?
I was on their list to get an email when it was back in stock. No email. I have given up. I don't care anymore just to prove the idiots wrong about this CPU. I have the money, but I just spent 2 months budget on a 7742, and am very happy with my 64 cores for lesss than $2000. So I would close this thread, but at least the OOS part was worthwhile.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Also getting frustrated with stock. I'm hoping that Microcenter will get one in stock soon as I'd rather get the 10 core part over the 8.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Local Microcenters seem to be the best bet right now. The one near me had one 10900k in stock. I put it in my cart and started to reserve it for pick up. Decided to wait and deleted it. It took 2 hours for someone else to grab it. Going to wait until September for 2nd pc.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Local Microcenters seem to be the best bet right now. The one near me had one 10900k in stock. I put it in my cart and started to reserve it for pick up. Decided to wait and deleted it. It took 2 hours for someone else to grab it. Going to wait until September for 2nd pc.

Unless i am behind on the road maps, next gen is coming out 4th quarter? I would be waiting a hair bit longer, if September is already not a issue. Of course if the road map has been utterly destroyed and its been pushed into 2021, then i could certainly agree on getting one. Heck if it has been destroyed, then i will be most likely joining you. Some good games coming out this year, i want the best gaming processor for them. Would double up also as a secondary folder.

I guess if we both end up waiting, the 4000 just may be better at everything then what Intel offers. Honestly for the sake of competition, i hope Intel still leads in gaming while Amd just leads in productivity. Gives people a reason to pick a particular brand without one reigning supreme. I love this 3900x for folding, its been amazing. I hardly game but my interest is certainly coming back with the upcoming titles. Usually new hardware with it spikes up a insane sudden passion for the hobby again when currently i am bored by it. So many meh new games, been stuck playing older titles.

Last edited:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
You can ask an associate at MC to hold one for you when one comes in. That's how I got mine early on.

When I was in Ohio last Christmas, that's how I finally got my 3970X at the Sharonville location. Unfortunately, where I live in Georgia is far enough from the store that I've not had god luck. Either find it online or get one by luck.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Honestly for the sake of competition, i hope Intel still leads in gaming while Amd just leads in productivity.
Well, for actual competition I think we need to see AMD making decent profits for a few years.
Currently, Intel are making close to 100% of the profit in the x86 market.
(Net Income $21 billion, versus $340 million in 2019 according to Wikipedia.)
All of the things in there last decade where Intel have thrown money more-or-less down the drain (McAfee, Atom contra-revune [aka dumping], Larrabee, e mobile modern etc.), have cost way more than AMD have made in profit in their whole 50 year history.
Real competition would require AMD to be able to commit to multiple multi-year design, being able to afford to have very refined mobile APUs, reference designs, specific desktop design, etc.
Not that deep pockets are always a guarantee of success.
Also, currently all the security exploits seems to ironically been translated into straight sales (loss 10% server performance, sell 10% more server chips).