1080p at 10ft - Noticable?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
YoYoJelloShot:
;)
How about 720p vs 1080p at 10' on a plasma?

Just bite the bullet and get the 65". Then you'll see HD in all its true 1080p glory!

:D :thumbsup:

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: funboy42
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Originally posted by: regnez
Depends on the size of the tv.

qft

My TV, YES! :D
Yes in all caps totally convinced me.

I thought it would.
I'm pretty sure you follow up on posts like mine simply to increase your post count, definitely asking for a ban.

OH damn YoYo you better watch out! :p

Yoyo: 22451 post been around since 2001
Boogaboo: 21740 post been around since 2003
Telling another lifer thats been around longer hes trying to pad his post count: Priceless :)

Whos padding whos post count :p
Damn lifers :eek:

Actually I've made over 22,000 of those posts in a bit less than the last 2 years :eek:

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: regnez
Depends on the size of the tv.

qft

My TV, YES! :D
Yes in all caps totally convinced me.

I thought it would.
I'm pretty sure you follow up on posts like mine simply to increase your post count, definitely asking for a ban.
You've been here 2 years less than YoYo and you have nearly the same post count.
Now, who's doing the post count padding?
Edit: didn't read the whole thread, Funboy beat me to it.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Do the math: arctan( H/D ). H & D in centimeters, convert to degrees from radians. At the fovea you have ~60 samples / degree. Half your 1080i resolution and compare to the 720p. This is not hard.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: homercles337
Do the math: arctan( H/D ). H & D in centimeters, convert to degrees from radians. At the fovea you have ~60 samples / degree. Half your 1080i resolution and compare to the 720p. This is not hard.

wha?

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Qacer
After years of subjective testing, it has been found that on average the human eye will not be able to tell the difference between two parallel lines from a distance of 10 times the height of the TV. So depending on your TV's height then at 10ft away, contrast ratio and other characteristics might come into play more than the resolution.

:thumbsup:

TheChort

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003

obviously

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Googer
After years of subjective testing, it has been found that on average the human eye will not be able to tell the difference between two parallel lines from a distance of 10 times the height of the TV. So depending on your TV's height then at 10ft away, contrast ratio and other characteristics might come into play more than the resolution.

I read this again and still don't really understand.

How thick are the lines? Are they the same color? Are they solid lines? If this is on a display, what is the resolution of the display?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

How thick are the lines? Are they the same color? Are they solid lines? If this is on a display, what is the resolution of the display?

His post was a joke. Didn't you get it?

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
I have a 42" 720p LCD and sit 8' away. That is just close enough to fully resolve 720p and nothing more (with 20/20 vision).

I if I were to sit closer, I would start to gain benefit from higher resolution but I would have to be significantly closer to fully resolve 1080p.

Therefore, to me, it was not worth it to shell out more for a higher resolution display.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07

His post was a joke. Didn't you get it?

Nope

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: TheChort

obviously

System overload....need...to....shutdown.

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Googer

Yeah, I didn't specify it very well. But according to past research,
if a pair of parallel lines is viewed at such a distance that the angle subtended by them at the eye is less than 2 minutes of arc, the eyes sees them as one line. So, if the the preferred viewing distance is 4 times the picture height, two parallel lines closer than d = 0.00232*h cannot be separately resolved by the observer. The number of lines contained in the picture height at this limit is 1 / 0.00232 = 431 lines.

Let say the lines are 1 pixel thick. That means that, in the example above, if you seat closer than 4 times the picture height, you will be able to discern blank spots between the lines. Your image will not look continuous. It doesn't matter if your image is displayed using an interlacing or progressive techniques. The above highlighted statement dictates how each image line is spaced.