100C+ For GPU???

mrman3k

Dec 15, 2001
I was noticing with the different Geforce FX cards that they either turn their fans on, or shut the card off when the GPU passes 100C.

I was just reading the review of the Gainward card over at Gamepc.com and they said that for the 5200, the GPU fan will not spin up until the GPU reaches 100C. I was under the impression that once you pass 85C you start to have some damage to the chip, or does this apply to CPUs only? I mean, at 100C, you can boil water!:!Q

Also it seems that for the FX Ultra, it shuts down at 140C which is very high! So are GPUs different and can take the heat better, or are you asking for trouble?

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Could they possibly mean Fahrenheit? 100 is around 37-38C which I could see the fans coming on for... 140F is 60C, which might be cause for concern.

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
If you want a good cappuchino....use a small case fan to froth it up.....erm....note...do not do this!

mrman3k

Dec 15, 2001
You can also see what I mean if you look at screenshots of the Nvidia control temp panel.

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
that seems awfully high, but GPUs aren't designed the same way CPUs are and may very well have different heat tolerances.

mrman3k

Dec 15, 2001
I was under the impression that any silicon chip will have major problems at temps above 85C?

godmare

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2002
Originally posted by: mrman3k
I was under the impression that any silicon chip will have major problems at temps above 85C?
If that is true in this case, looks like Gainward is going to have a load of RMA'ed cards...

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
I seem to recall 100C being mentioned with the old ELSA Gladiac GeForce2's that had temperature monitoring. It does make you go ---> :Q

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
whhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? the article mentions...in some cases schooled by gf4 mx?!??!?!? hah!

Audiofight

Platinum Member
May 24, 2000
For the record....

I got an ol' school Athlon socket A 1200 (266 bus) chip up to 105C on an Abit KT7A-Raid board. The bios just flipped out and didn't know how to register in C degrees properly. The F degree was reading 225F !!!

Three weeks after it happened, I still have two faint heatsink fin burns on my left middle finger where I lightly brushed it to see if it was really that hot. It was.

The fan header failed and by moving it to a different fan header, it took off again. I had the computer running and watched the bios temp while I used up a half full can of compressed air to help cool it down. I watched the thing (while fan running too) drop 3-5C every two seconds until it was down to a relatively acceptable temp range, then I let it go into WindowsXP.

Chip is still running perfectly fine. In fact, I truly believe that "burn in" made it run nicer all around :)

godmare

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2002
Originally posted by: audiofight
For the record....

I got an ol' school Athlon socket A 1200 (266 bus) chip up to 105C on an Abit KT7A-Raid board. The bios just flipped out and didn't know how to register in C degrees properly. The F degree was reading 225F !!!

Three weeks after it happened, I still have two faint heatsink fin burns on my left middle finger where I lightly brushed it to see if it was really that hot. It was.

The fan header failed and by moving it to a different fan header, it took off again. I had the computer running and watched the bios temp while I used up a half full can of compressed air to help cool it down. I watched the thing (while fan running too) drop 3-5C every two seconds until it was down to a relatively acceptable temp range, then I let it go into WindowsXP.

Chip is still running perfectly fine. In fact, I truly believe that "burn in" made it run nicer all around :)
Whoops ;)

HT Thread on burn in