10047 winsock error on win98, experts please

SHaFT7

Aug 13, 2001
ok, i'm a tech at a pc repair shop and i get this problem every couple of months and i can never figure it out. when going over a network connection to our router which is on a cable modem, sometimes customer machines will no be able to load a webpage, ftp, or anything, but they CAN get on the network. now, the connection doesn't even take time to timeout, it just gives up. so far i've only seen this happen on win98 and win98se. the socket error when i try ftp from the command line is 10047 which is a protocol family not supported problem. most websites say i'm using a 16bit winsock instead of a 32bit winsock, so go get the update, but the update is only available for win95...

the steps i take to fix it are as follows, reinstall all the networking, then update IE to the latest version, then reinstall windows on top of itself. sometimes these work, the rest of the time i have to wipe the customer's machine to get it fixed. i've tried replacing wsock32.dll and winsock.dll from the cabs, but that also doesn't help

this is driving me nuts and making me waste alot of time, does ANYONE have a solution for this???

ps. i know this is not a problem with our router/cable modem, because all of our other machines (20) work fine