1000w Seasonic Titanium Ultra Prime Failing?

Jjoshua2

Mar 24, 2006
1000w Seasonic Titanium Ultra Prime powering:
2950x
2080 ti
various small things, calculators say 700-1100W if all are OC.

I'm running a cudnn compute application that is highly variable on the GPU utilization and after 10-80 seconds like the computer shuts off and wont turn on again until i unplug it and plug it in again. Even when both GPUs set to only draw 80% power (which i measured to total 500-560 watts from outlet).

I can run the same application a different way that keeps the GPU utilization pretty much pegged at 98% and there is no issues, even with both GPU at max TDP 111% and 123% and 760-780 watts from the wall (runs for hour plus no problem).

When I turn the computer back on there is no error message, although it did seem to reset my bios to defaults the first time, but not the last time. Is the PSU low quality and I should RMA it? Or maybe a motherboard issue?

The manual says it supports multi-gpu and for high watt cards to use 2 one 8-pin cables instead of one 2x8-pin, and I am doing this with both cards.

Maybe I should buy a bigger PSU or hook up one of the cards to an old 550W PSU I have? But the one I have really should be high quality enough to work here I think...

According to https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/seasonic-prime-ultra-titanium-1000w-psu,review-34284-6.html
Overcurrent protection doesn't kick in until 1400 Watts, so it clearly must be something else. I'm not sure how to interpret `12V: 114.8A (138.3%), 12.181V` but I used hwinfo64 to monitor 12V rail and the minimum was a bit below that and the average and max were above, about 12.3.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jjoshua2

Mar 24, 2006
1kW Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold was just recommended bought for similar setup, so that's more evidence that this should work. I'm worried that I will pay $20-30 to ship this to Seasonic and they will say it's not faulty though. It's pretty hard to recreate, but I seem to be able to do it fairly consistently now, even though in general it's very stable.

Someone suggested I buy one of these testers...https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Automated-Supply-Oversized-Supplies/dp/B005F778JO

Last edited:

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
jonnyGuru had 2 different Seasonic Units kick in OPP protection unnecessarily during his testing. Seems to be a common theme with some of the forum members on their forums noting their units shut down on high transient workloads even though the power should be under the PSU's rating. In some cases, RMA'ing the power supply resolved the issue.

Your GPUs are probably in the 550W range full tilt without overclocking, while a 2950X even in full AVX mode shouldn't be pulling more than 300 watts. So I'd say you're no power limited, but it's just Season's finicky OPP kicking in.

Omegaboost

Oct 24, 2016
Check PCIe cables, are they plugged in tight @ both ends? Are you using a single PCIe cable from the PSU that is split into 2 connectors @ the video card?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
OP stated that he was using separate cables, which is what I would recommend (two separate cables per 1 card)

Replay

Golden Member
Aug 5, 2001
https://knowledge.seasonic.com/article/20-focus-plus-and-gpu-potential-compatibility-issues

Seasonic has some PSU's which shut down when they shouldn't (high powered GPUs). Could be a design issue.
"certain VGA cards may emit higher than normal ripple when under heavy load and using a modified PCIe cables with enhanced shielding resolved the issue. "
and "...in rare instances, possible system shutdown may occur when the GPU is under heavy load. This is possibly caused by higher than normal peak current emitted by this particular range of GPU's when under heavy load triggering the PSU’s internal protection safety.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I had two Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w running 6 1080 Ti's and the system in my mining rig. It ran without any issues for months until I turned it off. From the wall, I believe it was 700-800w draw for each PSU.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
By all means contact Seasonic and ask them. They might just send you a new cable or offer to replace the unit ... it's one of their top product, my guess is they will want to avoid any bad publicity.