$1000 gift certificate to goshoppingmall.com

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Ok, my granny called me up saying she won a $1000 shopping spree from a scratch card from a Dodge dealership. Yeah right I thought, but I came over and saw it and sure enough it looked like it was legit. I brought her out to the dealership and the lady told us that we had won a $1000 gift certificate to goshoppingmall.com and that we just had to pay for shipping.

Okay, as you can probably tell I am very wary of this site. I don't have the certificate they gave me here so I can't login to even see the site. Anybody know anything about this place? I hate to tell her that its bs because she is real excited, but there has got to be a catch.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The very first thing in their Terms and Conditions says...

The shipping and processing charge is designed to compensate GSM for the services we provide that enable our members to enjoy the convenience of home shopping and delivery of our products, as well as overhead costs associated with those services.

We do our best to make sure the retail prices calculated are market value. Shipping and Processing charges will in some cases cover our raw cost of the product. We believe however, that our customers are receiving a quality product at a quality value. We will add additional value to each and every delivery with both gifts and various free downloadable coupons with each checkout.

If a site has to lead off their T&Cs with an excuse about shipping costs, you can be sure they are going to be astronomical.

Goshoppingmall.com is run by a promotional company that sells "gift certificates" to other companies in either $500 or $1000 denominations, probably for a couple of bucks each. The companies give them out to people like your grandmother. My guess is that goshoppingmall.com recoups their costs by using high S&H (and "processing") charges.

Put in "1" as your certificate number and it will let you in.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Gunbuster
It's not a real contest if you have to pay shipping.

Really. What would be the big deal if you put some of the $1,000 towards the shipping costs. Other places have no issues with you using gift certificates towards taxes and/or shipping.

:thumbsdown: - to the car dealership for using such a promotion.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Example:

Found a cookware set on goshoppingmall.com, their price $300. (remember, since everyone will have a "gift certificate", no one is actually paying that).

Found the same set on another site for $114.50.

goshoppingmall.com charge for shipping and processing to send you your "free" set? $94.95.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Why don't we just use the Anandtech Effect and find a way to bring them down legally for fun?

I mean.. I would spend some time if others were willing. I'm sure a few thousand emails to the BBB might make them notice..

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: brxndxn
Why don't we just use the Anandtech Effect and find a way to bring them down legally for fun?

I mean.. I would spend some time if others were willing. I'm sure a few thousand emails to the BBB might make them notice..

Hells yeah. We could do it.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Such a scam man.

Glad your gran will not be scammed :D

Koing