Link

Rebate

"Submit TWO physical barcode with UPC
number listed from the original product packaging in
order to receive $10 MIR."

aboothman

Mar 21, 2004
Ritek are ok...never had any issues

not to thread crap, but if you search the forum you can find deals on Taiyo Yudeo media for about $30 shipped with no rebate.

cmetz

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2001
Go search on cdfreaks.com - apparently, about a year ago, Ritek went way downhill in product quality. Ritek G04 used to be okay - not excellent, but also a lot cheaper than Taiyo Yuden discs were. Now, G04, G05, etc. are apparently all much worse quality products, and discs have all come down in price to the point where the premium for top quality discs isn't as big a deal any more.

Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim MCC Made in Japan are generally regarded to be top quality. I've bought from all the major online stores, and Rima.com is the only one that has consistently delivered good TY discs - Supermediastore and Meritline occasionally have sent me bad batches.

What's the risk? Well, some really bad discs will not even read back after a burn. Or they will, but the drive has to retry sectors with a lot of errors. Discs don't get better with age, only worse. So if they start out hard to read, in a year or two they'll go over the edge to unreadable. If you're burning data and you expect those discs to be around for a few years, starting with high quality discs and storing them right (out of sunlight, low moisture, moderate temperatures) is a must.

You'd think that writable DVD technology would be mature enough at this point to not be so sensitive, but it isn't.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
i actually think as we progress on more precise technology (CD with 700MB, DVD 4.7/8.5GB, and now BluRay or HDDVD even more), that they're more prone to errors and more sensitive than ever.

but that's just my thinking

Dec 30, 2004
Perhaps its my burner (NEC 3520 or 50A), but considering it's rated at 16x + and - (I'm pretty sure its 16x for both), the fact that I had tons of errors with the 8x Arita DVD+R media I bought, I'm not sure I want to buy more. I was using the disk on my mom's DVD drive....so the fault could be on her end of the line, however sometimes it would read the media and sometimes it wouldn't. Just throwing that out there. I wish I still had the disc so I could test it with its creator.

Edit: Actually I found the disc, and it doesn't work with its maker either.

cmetz

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2001
EKKC, I will be very interested to see what defect/ECC scans of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs look like. DVD-R/+R is already much more sensitive and error-prone than people realize. I can't imagine that a 5x density increase is going to help that situation.