100 Muslims fired at Local meatpacking plant

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: dahunan
When in rome do as the romans..

Religion should never trump the rights of our citizens or private enterprise..ever

SNACK ON SOMETHING...LOL... what is the insanity in requiring a full break

Want a job to respect your religion.. then get self-employed

Definently, that is why i say we should move the christmas holiday so it's always on a weekend.

When in America, aren't you supposed to have freedom of religion? Or is that unimportant in SOME cases?

there are plenty of companies including mine that have to have employees WORK on christmas day. OMGWTFBBQ!!!!

What's so hard for you about 'when it's reasonably practical'? If it is, people get the day off if their religion calls for it (not the case for Christmas IMO). If not, they have to work it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: daniel49
Heck there working on a hotdog line.....shove in a few ballparks and boogie on.
Otherwise suck it up, Your prayer and fasting is not your employers responsability.

Yes, it is, to the extent it's reasonably practical to accomodate their religious needs.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I don't get how it's getting ridiculous, there is a move of a break, not by much, one month a year?

The thing i am getting most tired of is how Christians are going to claim that you live in a free country that observes all Christian holidays but say it's ridiculous to observe others holidays.

Now you'll get to support them as taxpayers instead of them contributing to your economy! CONGRATULATIONS!

Your concept of freedom seems to be the freedom to impose it on others. That's not how it works.

Christians don't impose and dictate when breaks occur throughout the day. Religions are not free to impose on others and bend them to their zealotry. People here are free FROM, protected AGAINST, religious zealotry.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Is the Swift plant classified as a Mosque?

Huh? As I said, employers are required to make accomodations for religious beliefs when reasonably practical. What does being a mosque have to do with this?

People work, and have religious beliefs that sometimes require accomodation. Do you expect anyone with religious beliefs to only stay inside their religious buildings?

Fuck, why not just let everyone take off whenever they want and not hold them accountable? If I follow Pastafarianism can I practice my religion and observe Raman-dahn while at work?

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Otherwise suck it up, Your prayer and fasting is not your employers responsability.

Yes, it is, to the extent it's reasonably practical to accomodate their religious needs.

I can remember an employer giving me the choice of working Christmas or loosing my job once.
I simply gave him my notice and found a better job.
I can remember other people who requested sundays off to attend church on other jobs and they were told to show up or loose thier job.
It has never been standard practice ( In the real world, and I've been working for close to 40 years now) to make an employer adjust his needs to fit the employees religious needs.
However many employers will do that freely if they deem it gives them a happier/ more productive workplace.
I suspect I would not be to difficult for Swift to establish that it is not reasonably practical in this case.

If this had been a 100 christians expecting prefferential treatment, I wonder what your position would have been?

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: magomago

The main reason I'm on their side in this instance is because I'm fasting as well and understand that it is not necessarily a walk in the park. Hell for me it should be a walk in the park because I'm doing nowhere near the physical exertion that they are doing...
I hope that much like the Tyson situation, this can be resolved by letting Muslims shift their schedule while non Muslims can keep their original schedule.

These people are working on an assembly line (of sorts). If you in your engineering position take a 15 minute break when your are not scheduled to take one... who is affected? If these people on the line take a break it shuts down the whole process. The only way for Tyson to possibly fix it would to have a whole shift of Muslims and a whole shift off on-muslims.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Is the Swift plant classified as a Mosque?

Huh? As I said, employers are required to make accomodations for religious beliefs when reasonably practical. What does being a mosque have to do with this?

People work, and have religious beliefs that sometimes require accomodation. Do you expect anyone with religious beliefs to only stay inside their religious buildings?

Fuck, why not just let everyone take off whenever they want and not hold them accountable? If I follow Pastafarianism can I practice my religion and observe Raman-dahn while at work?

Because you lack the common sense to tell the difference between legitimate religious needs and 'hey the sun is shining'.

Thigns work when people are reasonable on both sides.

You clearly have little ability to participate in that process.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I can remember an employer giving me the choice of working Christmas or loosing my job once.
I simply gave him my notice and found a better job.
I can remember other people who requested sundays off to attend church on other jobs and they were told to show up or loose thier job.
It has never been standard practice ( In the real world, and I've been working for close to 40 years now) to make an employer adjust his needs to fit the employees religious needs.
However many employers will do that freely if they deem it gives them a happier/ more productive workplace.
I suspect I would not be to difficult for Swift to establish that it is not reasonably practical in this case.

If this had been a 100 christians expecting prefferential treatment, I wonder what your position would have been?

The same, if the Christian religion had the same sort of belief system, which it doesn't. If the Christians followed the Sabbath law more strictly like many Jews, then that's fine.

At that point the employer is required to try to accomodate their needs if reasonably practical.

When your employer told you you had to work Christmas, if he could reasonably accmodate you haivng it off and you felt your religion required you not to work it *which is not a requirement of any Christian sect I know of), then he needed to accomodate you. If he was nt able to reasonably accomodate your need, then he was within his rights to say so. If he was reasonably able to accomodate your religious need but just didn't want to bother, and you let him get away with that, that's your choice, but not the same for others.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Everyone should have a different religion that has all kinds of special needs that then removes our rights to be protected from religion

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
My religion REQUIRES that I only work on week-ends from 8AM-9AM and 5PM-6PM on every other weeks.:p

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
My religion REQUIRES that I only work on week-ends from 8AM-9AM and 5PM-6PM on every other weeks.:p

which is exactly why this is such a slippery slope.
I could in essence create any requirements In a "religion" that I so deemed necessary.

Personally, even though my faith and church attendance and prayer are very important to me.
I feel to put that off on the people that I work with and my employer is unfair to them.

There are certainly places where I would draw the line. For instance I have had employers who expected me to lie for them.
In such instances, I simply refuse and let the chips fall where they may.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Napalm
It is one's responsibility to get him/herself a job that allows them to worship per their faith. It is not the employer's responsibility to make accommodations. If the employees are unhappy, they should find a different line of work instead of violating their collective bargaining agreements.

The company was right to fire them, courageous actually...

You have to understand though that today, the workforce expects employers to make certain accomodations. If reasonable expectations are not met, employees will go elseware. Ultimately, I feel that it is the employees responsibility to find a job that will meet their needs, and if the needs are not met, they have to decide whether or not it's worth leaving their job. On the other hand, as mentioned, employers need to be aware of their employee's needs and they need to meet reasonable requests/accomodations.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
If the meat packing plant engages in interstate commerce or has more than 50 employees then they fall under a little different rules than your mom & pop business. I detect a lawsuit. The plant could potentially lose some tax breaks or whatnot as a fallout over this, let alone civil penalties. This whole affair smells like a setup in order to get fired just so they can sue.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
this thread cracks me up...I created a thread a month or so ago about how some Somali Muslims in a TN meat packing plant were able to get the union to replace the Labor Day holiday with a Muslim holiday and the majority of the posters there didn't have a problem with that...not really seeing the difference between that issue and this one (basically, foreign religious group want to change traditional work schedules already in place because of their religious beliefs...am I missing something???)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Aimster
I dont get why people create threads like this

who gives a fuck

I don't get why citizens who prefer to bury their heads in the ground and could not care less about the issues like how citizens' religious rights are protected in the workplace spend their time in a political forum and click a thread they're not interested in and post wasting everyone's time about how they don't care about the issue.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Then go find a job that can reasonably accomodate your need, and prove it's a legitimate religious issue and something you are making up for reasons of convenience.

What an utterly bankrupt post showing you not to be able to understand a very simple idea behind the law, and showing how you mock the importance of people's religious views.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Aimster
I dont get why people create threads like this

who gives a fuck

I don't get why citizens who prefer to bury their heads in the ground and could not care less about the issues like how citizens' religious rights are protected in the workplace spend their time in a political forum and click a thread they're not interested in and post wasting everyone's time about how they don't care about the issue.

Wasting everyone's time?

This is P&N.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

Then go find a job that can reasonably accomodate your need, and prove it's a legitimate religious issue and something you are making up for reasons of convenience.

What an utterly bankrupt post showing you not to be able to understand a very simple idea behind the law, and showing how you mock the importance of people's religious views.

looks like the batteries in someone's sarcasm detector need to be replaced...sheesh...

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: spacejamz

looks like the batteries in someone's sarcasm detector need to be replaced...sheesh...

He was obviously being facetious, but behind the facetious, he was making a point. It was his actual point I was attacking.

I'll illustrate with an analogy.

Some makes a serious post that - let me pick any serious topic - we should have universal healthcare.

A poster responds with "oh, wwaaaahhh I vut my finger, I need the government to put the bandade on, and while they're at it, give me a massage and a blowjob too."

Now, when I'd respond criticizing that post for trivializing the issue of healthcare, it's not missing the sarcasm - it's criticizing it.

Make sense now?

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Napalm
I don't get how it's getting ridiculous, there is a move of a break, not by much, one month a year?

The thing i am getting most tired of is how Christians are going to claim that you live in a free country that observes all Christian holidays but say it's ridiculous to observe others holidays.

Now you'll get to support them as taxpayers instead of them contributing to your economy! CONGRATULATIONS!

They laid them off, dumb a$$. They didn't eliminate the positions...

Lol, ok, i'm not going to tell you where those laid off are going to get their money from right from the day they were laid off, i want you to think about that for a second, re-read my post and then tell me who is the dumb arse, you or me?

It is you who should re-read my post...

I'll give you a hand since I don't want you to hurt yourself thinking. The jobs were not cut - this means they will need to refill the positions with other individuals. Now do some math on what the net result is for the taxpayer.

Get it yet, Cap'n?? So, who is the dumb a$$?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I think public schools should be required to have a 10-15 minute prayer session in the morning.