100 most anticipated games of 2009

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
Originally posted by: Zenoth
I wouldn't hold my breath for DoW2 in February.

I can only assume your eyes jumped straight down to the emoticon and you didnt read anything else. I may have to remove it.

I'm not holding my breath for ANYTHING.
If none of these games ever came out and I never bought another PC game in my life it wouldnt matter much.
I expect to never see most of them at all. The ones I do see will be garbage.
If one in a thousand turns out to be mildly entertaining I will be shocked.
But it wont be enough to turn me around from my gaming slump.

Also, I must be the only PC gamer who isnt squeezing his gonads in anticipation of StarCraft 2. I dont know why. I liked the first one.
Perhaps its because I dont believe Starcraft was the 2nd coming of the Messiah. It was just a darn fun game that was also popular.

Wow, go read a book and stop pretending to like PC games anymore, because that is what you are doing. Peoples tastes change over time, its perfectly fine. You don't have to explain yourself to us.
If you dont want explanations why are you a member of an online forum?

Is this just a place for you to practice your typing?

If you dont want communication and interaction with other humans why dont YOU go read a book?

I concur on your reply, just leave that anti-social "person" alone, we don't need him/her around here. As for StarCraft 2 you're not the only one thinking like you do about it, I'm also not really excited about its arrival in the market, it will certainly sell millions of copies like the original did (under any period of time I mean), but despite its assured popularity I'm not really convinced about it.

To me 2009, at least so far, seems "normal", nothing really bad, but nothing out of the ordinary that would really get me sky-high hyped. I am anticipating the release of DoW2 (although I don't see it being released until summer or more probably during the holidays, but of course I could be wrong) and Empire: Total War, and as much as I am curious about Diablo 3 I know it won't be released until 2010 at the minimum (it has to be a very complex game to develop and especially test), and the same thing goes (and sadly so) for Half-Life 2 Episode 3, and other than that we'll have our common fast-food console ports on our beloved PC platform.

But you know what, 2009 is not necessary to be "awesome", I want a small number of games from this year, but really, if I had to be "stuck" with my current library of games dating all the way back from 1998'ish up to this day I wouldn't mind at all. I'm currently juggling between Fallout 3 (I'm making a mod myself for it which I've already published), Dawn of War Soulstorm (with great mods), Medieval 2: TW (again with mods) and Left4Dead, and Team Fortress 2 and various others (most of which end up being modified one way or another, as if I was never content of the vanilla products, strangely enough, or I just like modding generally speaking and I'm thinking too much into it).

There is one development team about which I haven't seen any news concerning their future projects (if any) and I would really like to know if they plan on doing anything this year or next year, namely Petroglyph Studios (Star Wars: Empire at War and Universe at War), those guys have potential, and they are talented, but they have barely supported their games after their release (barely, even if they did make an expansion pack for Empire at War, which in turn has been left behind in the dust after a single patch).

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
2009 is no more special than any other year, but it still is pretty fucking special.

Empire Total War alone makes it so.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Battlefield 3
Sims 3
Falcon 5 (please please please)

That's about all I can think of.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
"I Am Alive", never heard of it, but the idea sounds pretty sweet. That is assuming you're not the only one/thing alive =)

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: OCNewbie
"I Am Alive", never heard of it, but the idea sounds pretty sweet. That is assuming you're not the only one/thing alive =)

lol that would be pretty boring if you were the only thing left alive :p

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Took me to #57 before I saw something that I know I am going to buy

Dawn of War 2. Going to get into Closed Beta soon :)

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenoth
I wouldn't hold my breath for DoW2 in February.

I can only assume your eyes jumped straight down to the emoticon and you didnt read anything else. I may have to remove it.

I'm not holding my breath for ANYTHING.
If none of these games ever came out and I never bought another PC game in my life it wouldnt matter much.
I expect to never see most of them at all. The ones I do see will be garbage.
If one in a thousand turns out to be mildly entertaining I will be shocked.
But it wont be enough to turn me around from my gaming slump.

Also, I must be the only PC gamer who isnt squeezing his gonads in anticipation of StarCraft 2. I dont know why. I liked the first one.
Perhaps its because I dont believe Starcraft was the 2nd coming of the Messiah. It was just a darn fun game that was also popular.

are you shrooming? if you were a true PC gamer, some of these titles alone would be enough to generate some excitement in gaming. You ever play Operation Flashpoint? come on... GRAN TURISMO 5... ain't no PC game but you're telling me you never spent hours on end with the original one driving to get all your licenses?

I think a huge majority of these 100 will probably suck, but there are many diamonds in this rough list ;)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
90+% sequels and do-overs...:roll:

Of course, the electronic gaming industry these days is dominated by the same type of people and mentality seen in the movie industry.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
90+% sequels and do-overs...:roll:
Of course, the electronic gaming industry these days is dominated by the same type of people and mentality seen in the movie industry.
This is true. Recycling the same old crap with prettier visuals is what people want. Its what people are paying for.
Thats why there are hundreds of FPS's and most of them feel the same. Shame that couldnt catch on with stuff like Deus Ex or Baldurs Gate.
Mass Effect is a step in the right direction and for the reason Mass Effect 2 probably has the most promise out of all those titles.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
I think FEAR 2 will be good actually. FEAR always felt grittier than your average FPS cuz your enemies are frantically trying to kill you while others sneak up behind and your weapons provide a satisfying punch when you shoot something :)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
1 - Bioshock 2
2 - Final Fantasy 13
3 - Resident Evil 5
4 - Street Fighter 4
5 - Mass Effect 2
6 - Starcraft 2
7 - Call of duty modern warfare 2 (which could also be called COD 5 if they were using their heads)
8 - God of War 3
9 - Grand theft auto 4, lost and damned
10 - Brutal Legend
11 - Madworld
12 - HALO 3: ODST
13 - Killzone 2
14 - Alan Wake
15 - Heavy Rain
16 - Batman: Arkham Asylum
17 - Beyond Good and Evil 2
18 - The Beatles Harmoxi Project
19 - Ghostbusters
20 - Dragon Quest 9
21 - Alpha protocol
22 - GTA: Chinatown wars
23 - Bionic Commando
24 - Rage
25 - Sims 3
26 - Mario & Luigi RPG 3
27 - Gran Turismo 5
28 - HALO wars
29 - APB
30 - Puzzle Quest Galactrix
31) Half-Life 2 Episode 3
32) No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle
33) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
34) Deus Ex 3
35) Aliens: Colonial Marines
36) Dark Void
37) Pokemon Platinum
38) Prototype
39) Splatterhouse
40) Punch-Out!!
41) Fight Night Round 4
42) Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
43) Infamous
44) WarioWare: Made in Ore
45) LA Noire
46) Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
47) Red Faction Guerilla
48) Saboteur
49) Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
50) Wanted: Weapons of Fate
51) White Knight Chronicles
52) Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising
53) Bayonetta
54) DC Universe Online
55) I Am Alive
56) Perfect Prosecutor ? DS
57) Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II ? PC
58) The Conduit ? Wii
59) X-Men Origins: Wolverine
60) Dissidia: Final Fantasy
61) Dante?s Inferno
62) Battlefield Heroes
63) FEAR 2: Project Origin
64) Wolfenstein
65) Afro Samurai

Thats it, I'm done. I typed 'em all in manually and I know somebody out there has probably made a regular text list already. One of you guys can copy and continue my work if you want.

I already made my opinion clear on Starcraft 2 as a game, but seeing as how this in a list of "Most anticipated releases" it really should be #1.
This list is clearly made for console fanboys.
They should probably remove all the PC titles and make a seperate list.

In case you are wondering about systems, MOST of the list is console-only titles. There are more PSP games here than PC games. This is especially true of the shooters, the notable exception being Wolfenstein.
Most of the strategy games are PC only. Most of the hack'n'slash RPG's are console. Deus Ex 3 is definitely PC and will likely be on the big 2 (Xbox 360 and PS3) but thats not for sure yet.

PREDICTION:
Until the consoles adopt mouse and keyboard as their standard, they will never see any good, original Strategy games and the crossovers will always be annoying to play.

Heres some other lists.
http://www.gameguru.in/pc/2009...op-7-pc-games-of-2009/
http://news.gotgame.com/top-hyped-games-of-2009/22262/ (two pages)
http://www.destructoid.com/the...s-of-2009-118165.phtml
http://pc.ign.com/articles/761/761079p1.html (old list, some are out now. also they made mention of two Mech type games, another genre that has been ignored lately.)
http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2009/ (this is the only list I've seen with Disciples 3 and its the one game I really want to be successful. also theres an assload of graphic adventures on the list, a genre which is pretty much ignored in the console world)
http://www.examiner.com/x-1357...12d25-PC-Games-of-2009
http://www.gamespot.com/news/b...hould-be-aware-of.html

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

SNIP

Thats it, I'm done. I typed 'em all in manually and I know somebody out there has probably made a regular text list already. One of you guys can copy and continue my work if you want.

I already made my opinion clear on Starcraft 2 as a game, but seeing as how this in a list of "Most anticipated releases" it really should be #1.
This list is clearly made for console fanboys.
They should probably remove all the PC titles and make a seperate list.

even tho i played bioshock on the PC it wouldent be number 1 on that list if it were me, TBH i didnt even know they were making a bioshock 2 untill i read this

I agree with shorty that on a PC gaming list SC 2 or Diablo 3 would be #1 and #2 or just tied

and as i said in my earlier post there are only a handfull of games on that list that i care about and only 1 is in the top 10

console or PC most of those games i couldent care less about

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Looking forward to Half Life 2 Episode 3 and Empire Total War.
Rage and Borderlands sound like they might be interesting, but I really don't know anything about them ...