100,000 miles for AT

Page 218 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
4.5 miles on the trails followed by a BBQ with the Mrs. NY Strip is awesome after a run if you didn't already know. But a 4.5 mile run seems like a waste of time. I hate tapering.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Race this weekend? Or next?
Next weekend, I do a 2 week taper. It's a 50 mile qualifier for P2P100 and WS100 (hoping like hell to get picked for WS100 in the lottery in December).

5.2 miles at the lakefront this morning. My knee only twinged a bit in the first mile and was fine afterwards.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005

4.2 miles in bright beautiful sunshine and 50F temps. Barely a breath of wind. It felt INCREDIBLE. So incredible that I just felt like sprinting and did the last 1.2 miles at 7:15min/mile pace(which is sprinting for my slow ass)

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
4.5 mile fast tempo last night. Some guy tried to race me for the last two miles, I left him about a 1/2 mile in the dust. Ran around 6:30min/mile for the last 1.5 miles.

Bad thing is my left knee started to real hurt in the beginning of the run. IT band and runner's knee. Doesn't hurt to walk but running is a different story. Will test it tomorrow which is supposed to be my last long run before my taper. Fingers crossed.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Another longest run ever for me. 8.4 miles tonight. Run itself felt great. Not sure what happened afterwards, nauseated, dizzy and just feeling bad. I'm thinking hypoglycemia, because I was well hydrated but I don't think my body is used to such long distances(yet) plus it was about 60 degrees, much warmer than I'm used to running in at this point.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
4.5 mile fast tempo last night. Some guy tried to race me for the last two miles, I left him about a 1/2 mile in the dust. Ran around 6:30min/mile for the last 1.5 miles.

Bad thing is my left knee started to real hurt in the beginning of the run. IT band and runner's knee. Doesn't hurt to walk but running is a different story. Will test it tomorrow which is supposed to be my last long run before my taper. Fingers crossed.

My left knee is bothering me, too. Unsure what the issue is in my case, my old man arthritis. But I've been doing a 2 week gradual taper for my race next weekend and my knee has gotten much better over the last week. Hopefully your knee improves in time for your race, too. Which race is it, btw?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
My left knee is bothering me, too. Unsure what the issue is in my case, my old man arthritis. But I've been doing a 2 week gradual taper for my race next weekend and my knee has gotten much better over the last week. Hopefully your knee improves in time for your race, too. Which race is it, btw?

Thanks Mega. I'm running the Boston Marathon in a couple of weeks. Today, I'm hoping will be my last long run then taper. Knee hurt a lot Friday night and not so much yesterday and feels okay today but walking on it and running on it are too different things.

Trying to decide when i got out running in the next hour if it starts hurting right off the bat, if I should just turn back or gut it out for at least ten+ miles.

Probably the nicest running weather we've had yet this year today. Plus, I was hoping to try out this new hydration vest/pack I bought. http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Fluid™-6/OU4516,default,pd.html

I'll report back later today. Hope everyone has a good run today.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Good luck at Boston, that's quite an accomplishment to even get there.

I did 9.2 miles at the trails I normally haunt today. Not one time did my knee bother me. I am so ready for Croom next weekend. Under 11 hours and I'm qualified for Western States. woohoo

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Ran 20 yesterday. It didn't hurt but I could feel my IT band so around mile 6, I stretched it out and I think made the situation better. Felt good and even ran the hills starting at mile 9 at faster than race pace.

I should have stopped at 17 but I pushed the last three miles and that when my achilles(one that developed tendonosis last time) and my IT started to real hurt. Walked a few blocks but jogged the remainder home. Last night, achilles was really sore and my knee hated going up and down stairs.

This morning, my achilles feels pretty good but my knee is still hurting. Ugh!!!

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
+8 Friday
+10 Sat.
+10 Mon.

Good luck to everyone with upcoming races! Capt. Caveman - Getting into Boston is impressive! Kick tail! Mega - a 50 miler?!? Wow, that's really putting the ulta in ultramarathon! Good luck qualifying for WS100. They have a lottery for a 100 miler?!? Rreally?!? There are that many crazy runners in this world? ;)

Last edited:

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Thanks Mursilis, I'll do my best. And yes, there are many of us lunatics out there, but I think we're becoming mainstream as thousands of entries are submitted to the Western States lottery every year. It is the granddaddy of all ultras.

4 miles this morning.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Thanks Mursilis, I'll do my best. And yes, there are many of us lunatics out there, but I think we're becoming mainstream as thousands of entries are submitted to the Western States lottery every year. It is the granddaddy of all ultras.

4 miles this morning.

I'm working towards becoming one of those lunatics. I'm sticking to pretty much all half marathon and slightly longer in distance this year but I plan to run my first Ultra distance race, a 50KM trail run, in the spring of 2014. While my girlfriend thinks I have a death wish for running anything over a marathon distance wise, she certainly isn't trying to talk me out of it either. And on the subject of racing I have my first race, just a meager 5 mile trail race, on April 28th.

drteming

May 9, 2005
Only managed 5 miles today. I feel the bug that's been going around knocking at the door...

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
+ 88 for me. Took a day off last week because I tweaked my knee peeing and could barely walk the next day, but then the day after that it was magically healed.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
+ 88 for me. Took a day off last week because I tweaked my knee peeing and could barely walk the next day, but then the day after that it was magically healed.

As much as it had to be a lousy day, I have to say that is a funny and miraculous story. My knee hurt got injured out of the blue almost 2 weeks ago, it's just now feeling up to snuff. And just in time for a race. woo