100,000 miles for AT

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
You're crazy, RB! I hate it when you know the last few miles are going to suck on a long run like that. Not fun at all. Good job sticking it out.

I did a real easy 12 today. I have a seemingly contradictory goal of trying hit my highest mileage this week and recovering from the race so I can run what will probably be one of the hardest workouts I'll ever do on Wednesday (4x mile, hoping for 5:10-5:15).

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
+14 this week!

I ran two 10K races back-to-back, Saturday and Sunday. Killer hills in both, particularly Sunday which was a beautiful trail run.

I was pumped though; I won my age group on the second race (only 200 people ran, though) and 7th overall. :) Only one girl beat me, but not by much. Times were similar; 7:07 and 7:12 paces. I won a quart of maple syrup! :D The only time I've been as tired as after that second race was after the marathon... my brother did a marathon Sunday, too. The hill was a mile long but I'm not sure about the elevation change. The last mile was all downhill!

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
You're crazy, RB! I hate it when you know the last few miles are going to suck on a long run like that. Not fun at all. Good job sticking it out.

I did a real easy 12 today. I have a seemingly contradictory goal of trying hit my highest mileage this week and recovering from the race so I can run what will probably be one of the hardest workouts I'll ever do on Wednesday (4x mile, hoping for 5:10-5:15).

Ouch, 5:10 mile repeats? Beast! I've never been good at speed/track, but I'm lucky to hit 6:45 right now on repeats. (Heat mostly) And thanks...but with my ITB/Achilles on the fritz, it's caused them to flare up again a little bit.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
+14 this week!

I ran two 10K races back-to-back, Saturday and Sunday. Killer hills in both, particularly Sunday which was a beautiful trail run.

I was pumped though; I won my age group on the second race (only 200 people ran, though) and 7th overall. :) Only one girl beat me, but not by much. Times were similar; 7:07 and 7:12 paces. I won a quart of maple syrup! :D The only time I've been as tired as after that second race was after the marathon... my brother did a marathon Sunday, too. The hill was a mile long but I'm not sure about the elevation change. The last mile was all downhill!

bob - congrats brother! Impressive, esp for your second race. :) And racing two 10K's is pretty tough, esp a trail one. My first and only 10K trail race was at a 1:02 overall. Sad, I know lol

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
12 yesterday in doubles, track workout today. Tried for 4x mile at 5:10-5:15. Managed to do 3 at 5:09, 5:13 and 5:17. My speed is really good right now as the 5:09 felt e-a-s-y! My stamina needs a lot of work as I couldn't keep that pace though. Finished with an 800 in 2:33 and two 400s in 1:16 and 1:10. 3 miles warmup, 2 miles cooldown and 2 miles of recovery jogging for 11 miles today. Good workout!

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
+7 pitiful miles. I don't know if it's something I ate last night or my water bottle not being washed out well last night, but made it about 2.5 before I had to sit down on the curb from being dizzy and lightheaded and essentially, on the verge of puking. Thought I'd tough it out and made it another mile out before I turned back. Better make it up with some quality miles Sat.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
12 yesterday in doubles, track workout today. Tried for 4x mile at 5:10-5:15. Managed to do 3 at 5:09, 5:13 and 5:17. My speed is really good right now as the 5:09 felt e-a-s-y! My stamina needs a lot of work as I couldn't keep that pace though. Finished with an 800 in 2:33 and two 400s in 1:16 and 1:10. 3 miles warmup, 2 miles cooldown and 2 miles of recovery jogging for 11 miles today. Good workout!

Beast! Nice job. I envy those who make it look easy. :) Where are you currently training? How's the weather? I'd kill for some 50 degree weather!

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
41 & 2/3rds for me this week, which is a distance pb by almost 20% :)

A bit over 9k of that in vffs.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Just got back from vacation. Not much running happened though, it was HOT and HUMID down in Va Beach and on the OBX. The feels like temp. was 105F or higher every day. I can't believe I used to live in that. We did manage 2 runs though, one 8 miles and one 7 miles. I can't wait to get back on the local trails, I am pacing at a 100 miler next month and I have a lot of prep work to do.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
+14 this week!

Excellent work Bob, especially on the trail run. How technical was the trail? I love gnarly trail runs, they are so much fun.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
42 since I last posted. Now that I'm working it's getting harder to fit my workouts in although some of this has just been laziness.

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
I am pacing at a 100 miler next month and I have a lot of prep work to do.

I just watched/read a couple race reports from the Burning River 100 miler that took place a week ago or so. Looks like fun times, in a masochistic sort of way. Very inspiring though. I'm sure you'll have a blast. A report here would be great, even if we don't know the runner you're pacing.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I just watched/read a couple race reports from the Burning River 100 miler that took place a week ago or so. Looks like fun times, in a masochistic sort of way. Very inspiring though. I'm sure you'll have a blast. A report here would be great, even if we don't know the runner you're pacing.
Whose reports did you read? I know one finisher, his videos were awesome and his wife's crew chief report was also. I learned a lot from them.

And I'll make sure to write a pacer report. The race is called Virgil Crest 100 if you want to check it out.

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Whose reports did you read? I know one finisher, his videos were awesome and his wife's crew chief report was also. I learned a lot from them.

And I'll make sure to write a pacer report. The race is called Virgil Crest 100 if you want to check it out.

I read this and watched these. When the guy in the video got to to 96 miles or so and realized he was going to make it, he and his wife both got a little weepy and it sent such an incredible spurt of adrenaline through my system. Great motivation for my upcoming first marathon, however pathetic that may seem in comparison.

(Holy crap, I just called a marathon pathetic!)

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Cool. Jimmy V. is the guy I know. And his wife is very motivational, especially at races. I met her at my first ultra and she fed me the most awesome pumpkin muffins and coerced me to finish when I wanted to quit. I've yet to meet Jason, but his race reports are great reads.

Just as a warning, you may find yourself taking on an ultra in the near future. This is how it started for me. :sneaky:

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Just as a warning, you may find yourself taking on an ultra in the near future. This is how it started for me. :sneaky:

Well, the seed is planted anyway. Not sure if it'll ever grow into anything. After my marathon I will focus on some rebuilding, running with vffs. After that, I'll have to see if I still want to do road distance, or find some trails or focus more on strength training with running on the side. So many potentially fun things...

Virgil Crest looks like quite a hilly run! How far are you pacing for? Is it for a friend, or do you volunteer and they match you up with a runner?

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Well, the seed is planted anyway. Not sure if it'll ever grow into anything. After my marathon I will focus on some rebuilding, running with vffs. After that, I'll have to see if I still want to do road distance, or find some trails or focus more on strength training with running on the side. So many potentially fun things...

Virgil Crest looks like quite a hilly run! How far are you pacing for? Is it for a friend, or do you volunteer and they match you up with a runner?
Sounds like a good plan, but make sure to give the trails a shot, they are so much fun and challenging.

Regarding VC100, I'm not sure how far I'll be running. I need to be ready to do 50 miles at night though. And I did have one guy in Texas ask me to pace him but he has yet to register. If he doesn't, the RD is going to pair me up with someone, he always needs pacers. Since I know him personally and he knows my running, I'm sure he'll put me with a good match.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
+6 recovery this AM. Did "5" on the elliptical yest but not counting that.

On another note, my achilles/tendon on the medial ankle side has been bothering me. Not sure wtf is going on, and it's not a constant pain or even a constant bother, but every once in a while it pops up. Has been like that since last Sat :(