100,000 American deaths could be prevented annually by 10 minutes of exercise

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ It's unfortunate that you can't appreciate that things are as they are for reasons.

When envision means "imagine" and you refuse to include the detriments into consideration, it's hopeless. I imagine I could just ride a unicorn everywhere, but that doesn't mean there aren't problems implementing that. lol

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You'd have more luck debating with a rock. A rock in the shape of a car running over a bike.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Honestly that's good to know. 10 minutes is not really a lot. I don't work out as much as I should and I tend to be mostly sitting down, but I probably get over 10 minutes even on a non workout day by just doing things like shoveling snow or walking. And in summer when there's no snow I tend to go for walks pretty much every day or do other physical activity.

I need to get back into the lifting routine though, and also stop eating so much poutine and other take out food. Exercise is only half the equation, eating crap is not good either.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ If you get a rescue dog and it has to go back, doesn't seem like a problem, especially if you exchange it for one more domesticated, and take it for walks to give you both some exercise.

fiveslate

Nov 14, 2021
Lol dude I have a new car sitting right outside and I put 1000 miles on it last year. If you live in a neighborhood built before auto-mania swept the country you'll find that you barely need a car. If we'd built the country around public transit then 80% of the country would have the option of doing the same.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ I don't want to take public transport, anywhere. If it ran through my peaceful, scenic neighborhood, that would be a negative, and devalue the property as well. People WANT to live where they are distanced from older run down structures, denser city life with the associated noise, pollution, crime, etc.

What an environmental waste it is to get a new car if you're only putting 1K mi a year on it.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Lol dude I have a new car sitting right outside and I put 1000 miles on it last year. If you live in a neighborhood built before auto-mania swept the country you'll find that you barely need a car. If we'd built the country around public transit then 80% of the country would have the option of doing the same.
Baltimore is older than the country...it also isn't public transport friendly...logistically or safety wise.

Urban planning is the reason some places can get by with public transport. That wasn't there back when horses were the mode of transport.

Also....some the people who ride the bus aren't getting that much walking....and they're "poor". The lost time hurts them and they're still fat.

fiveslate

Nov 14, 2021
^ I don't want to take public transport, anywhere. If it ran through my peaceful, scenic neighborhood, that would be a negative, and devalue the property as well. People WANT to live where they are distanced from older run down structures, denser city life with the associated noise, pollution, crime, etc.

What an environmental waste it is to get a new car if you're only putting 1K mi a year on it.
How is it an environmental waste to only put 1k miles on my car every year? By the time it needs to be replaced I'll probably be able to get an electric car cheaply and the infrastructure will be in place and settled.
My neighborhood is mostly retirees, professionals, and gay couples. Kids and dogs are outside playing all day in the summer. Less than 5 minutes walk I can take my dog to the vet, buy a diamond, get all kinds of food, visit the hardware store, go to the park or hop on a subway. My home is 100 years old, structurally sound, and the interior is completely redone with modern appliances, granite countertops, sheet rock, 10gbe, with modern wiring circuit breakers and line conditioners.

Baltimore is older than the country...it also isn't public transport friendly...logistically or safety wise.

Urban planning is the reason some places can get by with public transport. That wasn't there back when horses were the mode of transport.

Also....some the people who ride the bus aren't getting that much walking....and they're "poor". The lost time hurts them and they're still fat.

There was a wide period of time between when the automobile was invented and considered in city planning and when America went through the worst of it's car craziness. It's a bit hard to park and you can't go fast through the neighborhood. The bus wouldn't be such a drag if they had more of them but nobody wants to pay taxes for something poor people are using. Public transit gets me to my office in under 20 minutes and pulls straight into the basement of my building.

There are plenty of places with nice public transit we could model ourselves after but we just don't bother.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
There was a wide period of time between when the automobile was invented and considered in city planning and when America went through the worst of it's car craziness. It's a bit hard to park and you can't go fast through the neighborhood. The bus wouldn't be such a drag if they had more of them but nobody wants to pay taxes for something poor people are using. Public transit gets me to my office in under 20 minutes and pulls straight into the basement of my building.

There are plenty of places with nice public transit we could model ourselves after but we just don't bother.
I lived only in Democratic monopoly counties, even they have certain routes that just exist barely, usually far out from centers because there is just enough of a presence of people out there. Not everyone lives the stable 9-4:30 life.

Public transit for the poor isn't for the environment or exercise; it's for the less endowed to get around without a car....slowly and with one transfer.

Bourgeois sympathy and ideals are out of touch with the experience and their solution is that current residents and locales basically have to high rise up every iota of land available.

fiveslate

Nov 14, 2021
Bourgeois sympathy and ideals are out of touch with the experience and their solution is that current residents and locales basically have to high rise up every iota of land available.

Well until someone comes up with a better idea it seems that high density living is the only way to move forward sustainably. Public transit shouldn't be for the poor and shouldn't be slow. It's slow because it's for the poor and we don't give a fuck about what happens to them.

Reactions: pmv and nakedfrog

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
How is it an environmental waste to only put 1k miles on my car every year?

Because it's a new car, with all the associated materials and pollution to produce it, then barely using it. If putting such light wear on a vehicle, it's more responsible to get a used one. A greater demand in the used market, also keeps more vehicles out of landfills.

Less than 5 minutes walk I can take my dog to the vet, buy a diamond, get all kinds of food, visit the hardware store, go to the park or hop on a subway

Except then you have to settle for that particular vet, the particular diamonds/jewelry/staff and pricing, similar lower selection of and higher cost of food, and I can't recall the last time I went to the hardware store and only bought enough weight or bulk that I'd want to (try to) carry it home. Same goes for groceries.

Plus, it is very unusual to have all these things within a 5 minute walk. Take grocery stores for example, the ones with good selection/size, have a similarly large parking lot and it would take me more than 5 minutes to walk back and forth to one, even if I lived right next door to it, in the closest residential zone.

Where I live, a park is a place where there is only nature, not so much hearing city noise, city pollution, and seeing a lot of buildings. Your park is not what I'd call a park, just some grass/trees/shrubs. My back yard is probably closer to a park than that, from which I see horses, squirrels, rabbits, deer, coyotes, foxes, hawks, vultures, geese and of course the more common birds, etc. and not a distracting level of human population.

The reason most areas aren't laid out like yours (except out of necessity in larger cities) is because the automobile made it so that people didn't have to live like that.

My home is 100 years old, structurally sound, and the interior is completely redone with modern appliances, granite countertops, sheet rock, 10gbe, with modern wiring circuit breakers and line conditioners.

... and I'm certain that you carried all that home during your walk from the hardware store... or... maybe vehicles are pretty important in your life too, and you're just moving the burden to someone else to use them.

Last edited:

fiveslate

Nov 14, 2021
Because it's a new car, with all the associated materials and pollution to produce it, then barely using it. If putting such light wear on a vehicle, it's more responsible to get a used one. A greater demand in the used market, also keeps more vehicles out of landfills.

At the time I bought it used cars were almost the same price as a new car. Regardless new cars are more clean and efficient than used cars. This being probably the last ICE car that I ever own is probably a pretty good outcome.

Except then you have to settle for that particular vet, the particular diamonds/jewelry/staff and pricing, similar lower selection of and higher cost of food, and I can't recall the last time I went to the hardware store and only bought enough weight or bulk that I'd want to (try to) carry it home. Same goes for groceries.

Actually there is another vet not far away that we use when our primary guy can't see us on time. There are several jewelry stores. I have a grocery store but do usually drive there, people who can't drive have personal shopping carts they use that fold up and fit in the closet. I don't mind the high prices because I get a high wage here and the money stays in my community.

Plus, it is very unusual to have all these things within a 5 minute walk. Take grocery stores for example, the ones with good selection/size, have a similarly large parking lot and it would take me more than 5 minutes to walk back and forth to one, even if I lived right next door to it, in the closest residential zone.

It's very unusual because we started planning the country around cars. We knew there were problems a ways off but people are clever and we have a lot of time. Well time's up and nobody seems to have any bright ideas.

Where I live, a park is a place where there is only nature, not so much hearing city noise, city pollution, and seeing a lot of buildings. Your park is not what I'd call a park, just some grass/trees/shrubs. My back yard is probably closer to a park than that, from which I see horses, squirrels, rabbits, deer, coyotes, foxes, hawks, vultures, geese and of course the more common birds, etc. and not a distracting level of human population.

My neighborhood park only has small wildlife but actually most cities have accessible parks with actual wild animals, water, etc but you don't sound like you're into exploring cities. I usually drive the dog to a park like this but the park by my house is definitely larger than your yard. Besides this is what you like and what makes you comfortable. You can get used to a lot, you can get used to living more sustainably and we're probably looking at very hard times in the future unless Americans reevaluate their relationship with cars. It's probably too late though, the rest of the world is industrializing after growing up watching American media with lots of auto product placement. They're not going to skip on their chance to act like a bunch of American boomers.

The reason most areas aren't laid out like yours (except out of necessity in larger cities) is because the automobile made it so that people didn't have to live like that.

Yeah that's the whole point. We do need to live like that, we've had a long time to come up with something better and we never did and time's up.

Reactions: pmv and nakedfrog

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Here's ANOTHER article/study with essentially the same findings

"We are finding that lower than 10,000 steps per day, there’s still significant benefit," said Kelly Evenson, an epidemiology professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill who co-authored that study with Paluch.

Their results suggested that people with a median of around 6,000 to 11,000 daily steps had a 50% to 60% lower risk of death relative to those with a median of around 3,500 steps per day.

"We’ve seen across age that it’s never too late to start being active and that benefits accrue pretty quickly. There’s not an age in which physical activity isn’t useful," Evenson said.
I highly, highly recommend aiming for a 15 minute brisk walk every day if you're currently sedentary.

Reactions: Kaido

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ While I don't disagree with the conclusion that exercise is good at prolonging life and quality of it, that kind of analysis is ridiculous, could just as easily be that people who were otherwise in worse health, walk and exercise less as a result, not the other way around. I know when I'm not feeling well, taking it easy is a higher priority, getting some rest.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
It can delay sure, but the 60 year Indian woman who ate an Indian diet(I overheard a lot) came to the hospital with high BP and she claimed she was "active". Also wasn't a dummy at all; a researcher. She was on literally 3 blood pressure meds and went because she check and her number was like 200/100 but asymptomatic.

One thing to note is that junk foods do contain folic acid, and it is consumed in excess if one lets oneself go.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Is it really a thing to get excessive folic acid from junk food opposed to a suppliment? I'd have thought that much junk food would be a larger problem in itself.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
^ Is it really a thing to get excessive folic acid from junk food opposed to a suppliment? I'd have thought that much junk food would be a larger problem in itself.
People who supplement one multi a day might be slightly overloading themselves if they eat nutrient dense whole foods, be it the likes of plants or certain meats of the "filtering" variety like mollusks or liver(well maybe a big overload with liver, but if someone is eating liver, they might be skipping the supplement because the foods basically do the same thing, but one is nastier than the other).

The person who just downed a bowl of cereal for breakfast, then a whole pizza, ate a bag of chips, then had Twinkies as a snack will have blown the roof off the max intake limits because the junk foods have dinky serving sizes that are in no way realistic.

It could be that folic acid is just along for the ride and the carbs+fat combo is the more impactful variable.

But there are some things that give cause to look at it alone to see if does do something negative at too high of a dose. https://www.healthline.com/nutritio...-increase-the-likelihood-of-cancer-recurrence

I have recently fallen into small lapse of avoiding refined grain and went to the hospital. My folic acid level was 18.0, slightly above the reference max. I did eat about a 2-3 Walmart fig bars a day before the day of going to the hospital and ate about 6 on the day. I also had natural sources from fruit like oranges and nuts via almond butter

If you want to know why I bought fig bars, it was intended to harm a porch pirate along with other junk foods like Mountain Dew and Doritos. Then when I sent the stuff to the wrong address, I was going to return it but Walmart just gave back the money without a return

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
^ While I don't disagree with the conclusion that exercise is good at prolonging life and quality of it, that kind of analysis is ridiculous, could just as easily be that people who were otherwise in worse health, walk and exercise less as a result, not the other way around. I know when I'm not feeling well, taking it easy is a higher priority, getting some rest.
Okay, buddy.
The researchers analyzed data from nearly 200 studies involving a total of more than 30 million participants from around the world, who self-reported their activity levels for at least three years.
I'm sure your analysis is probably better than this data :rolleyes:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ I'm not your buddy, guy! :)

You're still not accepting cause and effect. Healthy people are more active. It's self-fulfilling.

I'm not arguing that exercise won't make you healthier too, just that the researchers are pretty much foolish for not putting the data in context. Data is data. Interpretation of that data is something else. Focus on too few variables and it's hopeless except to try to plot a course you already aimed for.

How is it not even obvious that people in good health don't like to sit around... or at least didn't until the internet social media and gaming era? I'd blame the internet for poor health, 2nd to diet these days. Granted it used to be TV but younger people are sitting around at an earlier age, back in my youth, as a teenager and older there was little draw for me to watch TV instead of being out and about, horsing around, playing sports, socializing including chasing tail (lol).

Exercise, it isn't something that healthy (also meaning mentally healthy) people need to be *told* to do, they seek to go out and live life instead of sitting around too much.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Exercise is a help but it's also the shunt the big food giants pay scientists, doctors, etc to say so that bad food isn't addressed.
Even though, even the most fit athlete will eventually wear down his body to eventually need medical care without the "restoration procedures" such as rest and massage. Plus those who are disabled have no choice but good food to maintain their health.

It's also a more "profitable" fix for both private industry and the overseeing government tax collector in that exercise creates a demand for numerous things, such as weights, supplements/protein drinks(more sugar in those protein drinks), but also "recovery services" like massage, chiropractors, medical care in response to injury(Big Pharma likes painkillers). In China, the government has camps people has to pay to counteract obesity, and typical of a totalitarian regime, it's like a physical boot camp for kids, and the ex-military gets a job to do