100,000 American deaths could be prevented annually by 10 minutes of exercise

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Holy crap:

Once again, being sedentary looks like one of the Worst Things Ever™ for our bodies:

More than 110,000 US deaths could be prevented each year if adults over 40 added 10 minutes of daily moderate to vigorous physical activity to their normal routines, according to the study published Monday in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine.

An increase of 20 or 30 minutes could lead to even more lives saved, the study noted.

The method used to conduct the study was rigorous, said Peter Katzmarzyk, professor of pediatric obesity and associate executive director for population and public health sciences at Louisiana State University's Pennington Biomedical Research Center.

• Wow
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Me am Sedentary. No good. Need Harem of young women to chase around, like Benny Hill.

My difficulty is two-fold:

1. I don't like to exercise
2. I have health issues that make me very tired when I exercise

My workaround has been:

1. I use a recumbent exercise bike (doesn't kink my stomach like a regular bike does)
2. I do calisthenics at home (doesn't require much equipment, mostly just a doorframe pullup bar)

I also use my VR headset on my bike for stuff like VirZoom & Holofit to make it more fun. I have a really hard time not being sedentary in general tho lol.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Not necessarily wrong, but the article is damn fluffy.

Most Americans(and any other non-native culture with a simple starchy diet) generally will eat themselves into diabetes without exercise either by ignorance or believing nobly presented disinformation(low carb is stigmatized and deemed dangerous). Doing a little exercise will delay that development. Outdoor exercise will trigger vitamin D photosynthesis.

Gain strength, lift hard. That's the first priority.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Get a decent sized dog. Plenty need a home. I walk my dog an hour and a half a day.

When it's warm out I'll take the bike out on long rides. Low impact and you get to see lots of cool shit.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
The big problem is most of America is not designed for walking or cycling so people end up driving everywhere. If people walked more or took transit they would be a lot healthier.

Reactions: pmv

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The big problem is most of America is not designed for walking or cycling so people end up driving everywhere. If people walked more or took transit they would be a lot healthier.
I'm still saving up for a Segway. Those are still cool, right?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I don't believe this really holds up statistically. You may delay death so fewer deaths in the next few years if more people exercised, but they're all going to die anyway so deaths per year is more about birth rate, and with a healthier population, the birth rate may go up too.

On an individual basis, it definitely improves quality of life to exercise, as long as it's enjoyable rather than a burden.

Reactions: Stiff Clamp

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
No need to screw up the transportation system in order to get exercise. You can have the best of both. Then again there's the pollution...

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
No need to screw up the transportation system in order to get exercise. You can have the best of both. Then again there's the pollution...
Having better mass transit and cycling infrastructure is screwing up the transit system?

What are you talking about.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You can't have the best of both. What's best for transit, walking, and cycling is not good for automobile access.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ You can have the best of both. There is zero need to get your exercise from transportation, nor waste away a good fraction of every day on a slow mode of it.

Reactions: Stiff Clamp

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You are clueless. You ever hear of traffic? In major dense cities, you can easily match it with a bike or beat the time it takes for a car to get somewhere.

Plus you are against mass transit, which can, btw, involve biking at some point but doesn't have to. And also involve walking. You still haven't elaborated on your disdain for transit.

Also getting exercise is wasting time? Because you are also counting at the same time, bit found two things at once. your logic just doesn't work.

Car acolytes like you that simply hate anything other than the automobile are just holding us back as a species

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
^ You can have the best of both. There is zero need to get your exercise from transportation, nor waste away a good fraction of every day on a slow mode of it.
You say this as though somehow automobile-centric society has some inherent value.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ I state this as someone who has unquestionably, benefited from automobiles rather than walking and cycling everywhere, and you have too by proxy of the goods and services you depend upon, even if you don't want to admit it. Automotive transportation built the world around you, rather than your walking or riding a horse along a dirt path.

If you want to feel special walking everywhere, you'll have a lot of time while walking to do so unless you're a shut-in. I have far better things to do with my time.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
^ I state this as someone who has unquestionably, benefited from automobiles rather than walking and cycling everywhere, and you have too by proxy of the goods and services you depend upon, even if you don't want to admit it. Automotive transportation built the world around you, rather than your walking or riding a horse along a dirt path.

If you want to feel special walking everywhere, you'll have a lot of time while walking to do so unless you're a shut-in. I have far better things to do with my time.
Who said we should only have transit and walking? You are just making up things in your mindless brain container.

The best city, urban and suburban planning involves incorporating mass transit, cars, walking and cycling, all in a smart cohesive manner.

Because of idiots like you we are now stuck in traffic way the fuck more than we should be because our overall transportation system is now inefficient due to pure automobile addiction at the expense of everything else in most areas.

Being a shut in? Wtf are you smoking? You don't make any sense at all.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Reminds me of the occasions when I've had to go somewhere with someone else, and they chose to drive, while I walked, and then I got there and had to spend half an hour waiting for them while they found somewhere to park.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Not really - the most effective way to get the population in general to be more phyiscally active is to design the environment such that they incorporate it into everyday life, i.e. in getting from one place to another. If people have to make a special effort to be active - e.g. pay for and go to a gym - they mostly won't do it.

Besides, here in the city it's much quicker to walk most places than to drive - or to use public transport. People drive for weird ideological reasons, not practical ones. It's a sort of political 'statement' for some, they feel more dominant when behind the wheel, for some weird reason.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Reminds me of the occasions when I've had to go somewhere with someone else, and they chose to drive, while I walked, and then I got there and had to spend half an hour waiting for them while they found somewhere to park.
That would be about 0.0% of the time for me. The only time walking only takes twice as long is going up the street to check the mailbox... which I don't need to do because... get ready for it... I'm driving by it anyway and can just stop to get the mail when I do.

Very glad I don't live where it takes 1/2 hour to find a place to park.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski