10 years ago: the Jupiter 2 lost with all hands.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Because of sabotage by the nefarious Colonel Zachary Smith, the intersideral ship Jupiter 2 was lost in space with its complement of settlers (the Robinson family) and pilot (Major Don West), plus an environmental control robot all bound for an Earthlike planet discovered around Alpha centauri.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_in_Space

Sowe were supposed to have spaceships with stardrive, force fields and lasers ten years ago... Where are they? Where is the flying car I was promised during the 60s? :(

Don't you hate it when science-fiction takes place too early in the future and we get disappointed as we reach the year in question?;)

Plus what happened to all that excellent mood/atmosphere music like what was played in Lost In Space and Star Trek? That great music to let you know something terrible was about to happen or simply to punctuate a drop-kick filled fight. I so miss that.:|

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I remember seeing somewhere a timeline of science fiction events that were no longer possible. Pretty much all of Heinlein would be out, were it not for the fact that he sort of got around it in his later work.

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
Its funny the movie came out just 1 year after the series was set. Makes me think they tried to make it happen in 1997, but missed the deadline.

Alos, At least Star Trek had the foresight to set the series so far into the future that we would be long gone before we could complain that it didn't happen.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
2001:

moon colonies,
spacecraft capable of carrying humans to Jupiter
etc.
We already have spacecraft that can get people to Jupiter. But of course, you'll probably be all pessimistic about it. "But those spacecraft won't be able to get them there alive, and even if they did, Jupiter's intense radiation would kill them!" Boo hoo, cry about your precious science somewhere else.

I guess I'll just have to look forward to 2063, when we're supposed to have warp drive.

I'd at least hope for there to be fusion reactors everywhere, assuming we haven't nuked ourselves in a third world war by then.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: jdini76
Its funny the movie came out just 1 year after the series was set. Makes me think they tried to make it happen in 1997, but missed the deadline.

Alos, At least Star Trek had the foresight to set the series so far into the future that we would be long gone before we could complain that it didn't happen.

Well Star Trek can be proven wrong in that the Eugenics wars should have happened already.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It was 11 years ago that Khan and his genetically enhanced followers boarded the sleeper ship SS Botany Bay.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: AdamK47
It was 11 years ago that Khan and his genetically enhanced followers boarded the sleeper ship SS Botany Bay.

I am SOOO glad the eugenics war is over.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Well, they didn't exactly picture the internet or computers as they are today either (with a few exceptions). The only reason space exploration ever became a priority was because of the Cold War and national rivalry. After that died, so did space. We have the technology to build orbital spaceyards/permanent moon bases and what-not, but they're prohibitively expensive. Not to mention Cosmic Radiation. Until we find a way to shield spacecraft from it, not to mention faster propulsion, no interplanetary space-flight will be possible.

Also, I really get pissed when physicists start ruling things out (Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, relativity, etc) as impossible. Nothing is impossible under the right circumstances, and there are known phenomena that defy current physics.

What's the point in thinking outside the box if you're just going to build a bigger box around it? *sigh*

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
We have the stargate some where in Vancouver Canada to go to so many worlds. From what I've seen, them aliens aren't that much different from your typical Canadians. All the outerworld aliens speak perfect English, while Earth has hundreds if not thousands of languages and our cultures are much more diverse. Klingons' foods don't look all that appetizing. The Vulcans aren't that fun to be around.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm somewhat glad that the primary events of Space 1999 have not come to pass, though having sex with a shape-changing alien woman might have been interesting.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: irishScott
Well, they didn't exactly picture the internet or computers as they are today either (with a few exceptions).

But Nixon's buddy, Haldeman, apparently nailed it in the 1970's:

From the Book of Lists #2, page 483, published in 1980:

?6 OUTRAGEOUS PLANS THE DIDN?T WORK

6. THE WIRED NATION

In his book The Shadow Presidents, author Michael Medved relates the extreme disappointment of H.R. Haldeman over his failure to implement his plan to link up all the homes in America by coaxial cable. In Haldeman?s words, ?There would be two-way communications. Through computer, you could use your television set to order up whatever you wanted. The morning paper, entertainment services, shopping services, coverage of sporting events and public events?.Just as Eisenhower linked up the nation?s cities by highways so that could get there, the Nixon and Haldeman legacy would have linked them so that you wouldn?t have to go there.? One can almost see the dreamy eyes of Nixon and Haldeman as they sat around discussing a plan that would eliminate the need for newspapers, seemingly oblivious to its Big Brother aspects. Fortunately the Watergate scandal intervened, and Nixon was forced to resign before ?the Wired Nation? could be hooked up.?

LOL - lucky thing they weren?t able to implement their outrageous, evil plan?

MotionMan

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: OdiN
Where's my flying car?
Wait about 10 minutes, we're sending it now. I can't promise it won't go flying through your house though. :laugh: