Question 10 year old UPS - Still good?

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
I have a perfectly working (so I think) APC UPS from about 2011 that I've been using for my computer needs. My building has good electricals and I've never had a blackout here in any storm we've had since 2011.

I only have my computer, and 2 monitors connected to it (APC PowerChute, old ass software that still works good?) says I use 450 watts max (when running OCCT Power test, Max CPU + Max GPU).

My computer isn't crucial for my life, so I don't need maximum runtime, but I do want protection in case of any power surges, and a little bit of battery backup would be nice to charge devices.

I know batteries in UPS's needed to be changed or get a new UPS every few years. Would I need a new one? And if so, how many VA/Watts?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
For a ups, probably...I'd check the battery life...those might have died, otherwise, it SHOULD be fine. Batteries can be replaced...whether it's cost effective for you...I don't know.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Check the model number, and then you can find out the internal battery type. The APC ones are usually very easy to swap, whereas some of the Cyberpower and others can be sealed/disposable unless you feel like chopping and adapting lol.

However, sometimes the price of the replacement battery/batteries can exceed what makes sense vs an outright replacement. I would not trust a 9+ year old UPS to do much more than be a fancy power strip until the batteries are replaced.

What is your APC model?

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Check the model number, and then you can find out the internal battery type. The APC ones are usually very easy to swap, whereas some of the Cyberpower and others can be sealed/disposable unless you feel like chopping and adapting lol.

However, sometimes the price of the replacement battery/batteries can exceed what makes sense vs an outright replacement. I would not trust a 9+ year old UPS to do much more than be a fancy power strip until the batteries are replaced.

What is your APC model?
Its an APC Back-UPS ES 750G

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
obviously, this is a much better idea than buying a new UPS right?

I believe so, the price is sure nicer here, and this would start you with a fresh battery. The only way I wouldn't do this option would be if you needed to upgrade to a new class of UPS, or the previous one went through a lightning strike or something that made you not trust it. None of which seems to apply here.

Reactions: Muadib

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Cheaper brands seem to last about as long as the batteries.

But better APC's will last decades. I have a Back-UPS 450AT (450 watts - 600VA) that is from 1996 used for my monitors, router, and modem. Works perfectly. They were pitching it at work because it needed batteries in 2000.

I also have a SUA750 (500 watts - 750VA) that I bought as a refurb in 2012. I think it was made in 2004. Also works perfectly. Use that one just to power the tower, runtime well over an hour. Whenever the batteries die in one of the units, I replace the batteries in both. Usually get 3-4 years from them. Just replaced them a couple months ago.

Before getting these, I went through Cyberpowers, Tripp-Lites, and several other brands. They would die before the batteries, or shortly after. And the runtimes on the cheaper units was never more than 15 minutes, even though they were rated 1000VA. Makes sense, since both APC's above have TWO batteries each instead of one, even though they are "smaller".

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Your UPS uses a standard form factor battery. They can be had on amazon or elsewhere, cheaper than the $24 in the link. Just make sure the terminals are the same size, IIRC they come in wider and narrower options.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Your UPS uses a standard form factor battery. They can be had on amazon or elsewhere, cheaper than the $24 in the link. Just make sure the terminals are the same size, IIRC they come in wider and narrower options.

They can be had cheaper, but I have never had good service life with Chinese brands. I prefer Yuasa, which was bought out by Enersys. Seem to still have the same quality, mad in Vietnam.

Get mine from refurbups.com , always fresh. Lower prices, but you do pay shipping.

ItsFlybye

Apr 30, 2018
I had an APC XS 1500 last about 15 years. It died a few months ago. I had replaced the batteries once in its lifetime with a genuine APC battery. The problem it had was it kept thinking the incoming power was low voltage. I did a reset procedure on it, but it never recovered.

Cheaper smaller APCs are not designed to have their batteries replaced. The large ones most certainly. Some have mentioned they can last 20+ years. So if its 11 years old, you can at least expect it to last 5-10 more years. But at 11 years old, if the battery hasn't been replaced, then it is probably about due.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Cheaper smaller APCs are not designed to have their batteries replaced.

That is more false than true. Only those newer niche modem-power type with the Li-Ion battery aren't consumer battery serviceable, while the bog standard $40, ~500VA UPS you can get anywhere, typically takes something like a standard, $20 7Ah-8Ah SLA battery and is every bit, equally designed to have the battery replaced. There is no problem doing this, only a question of how much life the old UPS has remaining, but this is not a big gamble if we're talking about an UPS that takes under $50 worth of batteries. "Usually" you would get enough further life out of one to make it worth replacing the battery, which is why it is replaceable.

Life expectancy of an UPS in years isn't necessarily a thing. If it sees a lot of line spikes, lifespan goes down whether it be progressive wear or immediate failure. If it sees a lot of power outage use, life expectancy goes down, particularly if ran as long as possible so it does a large thermal swing.

If there is critical work being done by a system protected by the UPS, an argument could be made that it's worth the money to periodically replace the UPS even if it shows no signs of a fault, but usually then we'd be talking about use of a generator instead. Otherwise, a power surge could kill a new UPS as well as an old one you kept using.

ItsFlybye

Apr 30, 2018
That is more false than true. Only those newer niche modem-power type with the Li-Ion battery aren't consumer battery serviceable
Yep Exactly what I was referring to. I bought a BE425 just to handle a modem, router, and small NAS. It is all sealed. I mean I am sure it can be taken apart and the battery replaced, but it certainly is not meant to be an easy thing to do.

Life expectancy of an UPS in years isn't necessarily a thing. If it sees a lot of line spikes, lifespan goes down whether it be progressive wear or immediate failure. If it sees a lot of power outage use, life expectancy goes down, particularly if ran as long as possible so it does a large thermal swing.
Ya my problem is every month or every other month intermittent 1-2s outages which I am sure played its role.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The UPS itself is probably fine, I do like to shut off the breaker to my servers, as well as my computers just to test my UPS once in a while. I rather it fail when I'm home and ready to deal with it, than completely unexpectedly when power goes out. If voltage drops fast or in the case of smaller UPSes, starts to beep faster, probably means the batteries are near end of life and should be changed.

Instantwow

Mar 28, 2020
With UPS power supplies, eventually the capacitors will dry out and affect performance and lead to a failure. It’s hard to say how many years a UPS will have but capacitor failure eventually plagues all electronics.

Reactions: FaaR

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
obviously, this is a much better idea than buying a new UPS right?
Well, depends, maybe.

Older UPSes especially have very unclean power output when running on battery backup, which allegedly does not work well with modern active PFC switching power supplies, causing excessive battery drain or could even damage connected equipment. Allegedly.

Real world though, I don't know how much that really matters. I used to have an old APC Back-UPS 500 (500VA, from around 2004-ish so absolutely nothing fancy in its power output circuitry), it ran my Macbook, its Thunderbolt Display, ADSL (and later, cable) modem, Apple time capsule and a backup LED bulb for emergency lighting for years no problems whatsoever. It needed a new battery once, after like a decade of service, I bought a standard motorcycle style sealed lead-acid battery and popped it in there. The terminals were slightly smaller in size compared to APC standard issue battery, but it still worked fine until the UPS itself died after several years more of old age.

I replaced with Cyberpower sinewave UPS instead with 750VA capacity. It runs most of my electronics; all of the above plus PC monitor too, PC speakers, TV, Sonos 5.1 setup and Apple TV no problem whatsoever. And it has very accurate sinewave power output - which may matter all of fanny adams really, but it's peace of mind at least.