10 Year old Girl Gunned Down in Drive By Shooting. :(

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
If only she had one of those "my first rifle" models... she'd have been able to stop the shooters.

Yeah, and if the state only had one of those "high capacity magazine" bans, the shooters would have only had to reload zero times, just like in this news story.

Maybe we should reintroduce wolves and mountain lions back into urban environments, just to reaquaint the city slickers with some of the reasons why people might want to own a firearm or two.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Can you quote where in any of my posts I said guns should be banned?

You are correct. You said no such thing.

So let's go back to your original idea. That we need good laws passed, not bad ones.

Please. Tell us what law would have prevented this.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Then why do we have to register to vote? Why do those same people that don't want background checks and registration want voters to have it to vote?

Requiring ID to vote isn't the same as registration. No one is talking about not requiring an ID to purchase a firearm. And no one is pushing voter registration as the fix to voter fraud. False equivalence to link voter registration to gun registration. Nice try, however.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
Because apparently you're either dumb or illogical enough to believe that banning guns will result in a decrease in crime.

Because we know that's not true, why pursue the ban?

Eliminating all guns in the US would help. But that is logistically impossible and its a freedom that is guaranteed. The real issue, the real problem is lack of education and lack of enforcement, or lack of means to enforce current gun laws. If people who owned guns handled and stored them correctly, then gun crimes would drop dramatically. How many recent gun death have happened to minors these past couple months because people didn't store their firearm correctly? I know their deaths were just a drop in the bucket, but again its lack of education to think a 7 year old is mature enough to handle a weapon correctly.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Eliminating all guns in the US would help. But that is logistically impossible and its a freedom that is guaranteed. The real issue, the real problem is lack of education and lack of enforcement, or lack of means to enforce current gun laws. If people who owned guns handled and stored them correctly, then gun crimes would drop dramatically. How many recent gun death have happened to minors these past couple months because people didn't store their firearm correctly? I know their deaths were just a drop in the bucket, but again its lack of education to think a 7 year old is mature enough to handle a weapon correctly.

You seem to be conflating gun crime with accidental shootings. The two are not the same and the fix for one is not even close to the fix for the other. Education and proper storage isn't going to fix crime.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
You seem to be conflating gun crime with accidental shootings. The two are not the same and the fix for one is not even close to the fix for the other. Education and proper storage isn't going to fix crime.

It would have stopped sandy hook...

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You are correct. You said no such thing.

So let's go back to your original idea. That we need good laws passed, not bad ones.

Please. Tell us what law would have prevented this.

Please re read my posts again as you will clearly see that I have said, multiple times, laws do not prevent crimes from happening. They are used to promote a behavior. In the case of universal background checks (which I'm for), the behavior it promotes is the checking of ones qualification of whether or not someone can own a gun, which subsequently makes an unqualified person have fewer choices in trying to obtain a gun. Less options for obtaining guns means less chances of committing crimes with guns. Even if that makes a .01% of a difference, the burden of requiring background checks is so small that its worth it (this logic is also the same logic pro gun supporters use to justify owning a gun for protection, if it gives them a better chance of surviving an attack, no matter how small, its worth it to own a gun).

There are many laws I'd be in favor of with regards to guns but most would be around responsibility and education requirements similar to those related to driving.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
Sorry, I can't prove a negative. That individual could have obtained a weapon from another source. I have no way to prove that it couldn't have happened.

True, we can all bury our heads in the sand. But it would have, at the very least made it harder and/or limited the amount of murders.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Requiring ID to vote isn't the same as registration. No one is talking about not requiring an ID to purchase a firearm. And no one is pushing voter registration as the fix to voter fraud. False equivalence to link voter registration to gun registration. Nice try, however.

You don't need an ID to buy a gun in some cases, nice try though.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

A number of guns used in crime come from the theft of improperly stored guns in law-abiding gun owners homes.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
The only sure way to save people from dying is ban private ownership of motorized vehicles. Cars are weapons of mass murder.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Please re read my posts again as you will clearly see that I have said, multiple times, laws do not prevent crimes from happening. They are used to promote a behavior. In the case of universal background checks (which I'm for), the behavior it promotes is the checking of ones qualification of whether or not someone can own a gun, which subsequently makes an unqualified person have fewer choices in trying to obtain a gun. Less options for obtaining guns means less chances of committing crimes with guns. Even if that makes a .01% of a difference, the burden of requiring background checks is so small that its worth it (this logic is also the same logic pro gun supporters use to justify owning a gun for protection, if it gives them a better chance of surviving an attack, no matter how small, its worth it to own a gun).

There are many laws I'd be in favor of with regards to guns but most would be around responsibility and education requirements similar to those related to driving.

The only choice it eliminates is buying a firearm from a store, but leaves pretty much all other avenues untouched. Stealing, "borrowing", shady dealer, outside a gun show, etc ... also you seem to not have a clue as to the burden it would put on the system, it would be anything but "so small". How exactly would they regulate private sales and ensure they did background checks? The only way they can track it now is by following gun sales to, and through FFL's. how exactly are they going to regulate sales from people, of guns no one knows they have? It may sound great on paper, but putting it into action would be pretty much impossible.

BlueWolf47

Apr 22, 2005
What exactly do you think a gun registry will do? And laws do function as a deterent but only to those who do not wish to go to jail or those who think they can get away with it.

It would furnish law enforcement with essential information about firearm ownership, facilitating fast and reliable tracing of crime gun. It would also reduce illegal firearm sales by creating accountability for gun owners out of fear of the gun being used in a cime.

BlueWolf47

Apr 22, 2005
car or boat = privilege.

gun = right.

there's a big difference.

and by the way, cars are people than guns :colbert:

Having to register your gun or provide a backgeound check does not infringe upon your rights to own a gun.

So we shouldn't try to promote safety for anything unless it causes a higher mortality rate then cars?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The only choice it eliminates is buying a firearm from a store, but leaves pretty much all other avenues untouched. Stealing, "borrowing", shady dealer, outside a gun show, etc ... also you seem to not have a clue as to the burden it would put on the system, it would be anything but "so small". How exactly would they regulate private sales and ensure they did background checks? The only way they can track it now is by following gun sales to, and through FFL's. how exactly are they going to regulate sales from people, of guns no one knows they have? It may sound great on paper, but putting it into action would be pretty much impossible.

Yep and that's been the mentality of Americans since the birth of this country! If its too hard don't bother!

Coast to coast railroads? Too difficult, not worth it.
A highway system connecting all major cities? Ridiculously impossible and a waste of money!

Rid the world of an evil force that has already defeated most of the worlds armies? Only god could overcome that obstacle!

Create a retirement system to take care of the elderly so as to not put an unneeded burden on this country? Can you imagine the mounds and mounds of paperwork that would be needed? Lol what a silly idea!

/s

Here's a clue you know your argument is weak, its premise is based on the notion of it being too hard to implement so why bother.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
They are now saying the killing of the 10 year old was intentional. Who would intentionally do a drive by shooting against an innocent 10 year old. Seems like they really hated someone in that house, and wanted to send a big message, with this killing.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/21/5435569/slaying-of-10-year-old-girl-in.html

The gun culture makes it so people like this can obtain a gun with great ease, they are responsible for guns being in the hands of the people who did the shooting.