10 technologies to watch in 2004

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
as the joker said in the first (and best) Batman movie, "where does he get all those wonderful toys?"

from CNN.com.

some of the neat ideas I'd like to have:
Gecko tape: Lizards climb walls using the mechanical adhesive force of millions of tiny hairs on their feet. A synthetic version of those microscopic hairs allows gecko tape, developed at England's University of Manchester, to stick to almost any surface without glue. Applications include gloves that allow a person to climb a glass wall, the ability to move computer chips in a vacuum, and new bandages.

802.16: WiMax enables wireless networks to extend as far as 30 miles and transfer data, voice, and video at faster speeds than cable or DSL. It's perfect for ISPs that want to expand into sparsely populated areas, where the cost of bringing in DSL or cable wiring is too high.

AccruedExpenditure

Diamond Member
May 12, 2001
The technology to watch in 2004 is voip... just look at the year to date performance of the stocks associated with it, NT, LVLT, AV, LU

AccruedExpenditure

Diamond Member
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
I'm curious how many of the "10 technologies to watch in 2003" were actually released in 2003.

Doesn't matter, most technologies were invented/researched 3-5 years ago... what matters is when the consumer starts to adopt them.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
I'm surprised Bluetooth isn't on there, with the coming of ban of using cell phone without handsfree devices in cars, and the influx of Bluetooth enabled devices, it has to be taking off.

HyTekJosh

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Gnote
The technology to watch in 2004 is voip... just look at the year to date performance of the stocks associated with it, NT, LVLT, AV, LU

How is vonage doing specifically? Any other big companies to keep an eye out for?

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
I'm curious how many of the "10 technologies to watch in 2003" were actually released in 2003.

Doesn't matter, most technologies were invented/researched 3-5 years ago... what matters is when the consumer starts to adopt them.
Let me rephrase my question, "I'm curious how many of the "10 technologies to watch in 2003" actually hit the mainstream in 2003." OLED panels have been in production since last year and Sony, among others, are banking on it emerging as a competitive technology against LCD in 2004-2005.

Are the other technologies that close to the mainstream?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: HyTekJosh

How is vonage doing specifically? Any other big companies to keep an eye out for?

I remember hearing that they are doing really well.

Comcast and Cox/Timewarner are appearantly in the midst od rolling out VoIP services for their already large constituancy.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: HyTekJosh

I remember hearing that they are doing really well.

Comcast and Cox/Timewarner are appearantly in the midst od rolling out VoIP services for their already large constituancy.

All major teleco's are working on rolling out VoIP as well.