10 classic video games from the 80's that most of Millennials probably haven’t played

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
What was the name of the Cop game that had twisted criminals you had to chase down in an overhead car view, then once captured you had to make them "confess" by hitting buttons & wiggling the stick to shake the criminal before the commissioner walked down the basement stairs? Mid to late 80s arcade game.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Bubble Bobble
Wrecking Crew
Contra
Adventures of Lolo
Castlevania
Lode Runner
Mega Man 2
Tecmo Bowl
Double Dragon
Ninja Gaiden

Blah.
Highlighted the ones I'm pretty sure I've played (I'm on edge of Millennials, 32). "Bubble Bobble" was absolutely amazing. LOVE THAT GAME.

Oct 20, 2005

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I have only played three of those games on the list (Contra, Lode Runner and Tecmo Bowl) but I only played the arcade version of Contra. I sort of missed out on most of the NES stuff because I was just a tick too old to have one and I think I was busy playing sports and chasing girls at that time. And I guess I was already a computer gamer by then. We played the hell out of Tecmo Bowl in college though.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Double Dragon, Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden, Tecmo Super Bowl, and Simon's Quest had such great soundtracks too

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Just LINKING to those "click for next page" "minimal content on one page for more ads" should be a punishable offense. Seriously I HATE those types of websites, I never click "next" to get to the next page and for sure not 10 times. Effing annoying.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
What a terrible list... (missing are:)
Donkey Kong
Space Invaders
Empire Strikes Back
River Raid
Asteroids
Pitfall
Defender
Frogger
Berzerk
Yars Revenge

Super Mario Bothers 3
The Legend of Zelda
Mike Tysons Punchout
Super Tecmo Bowl
RBI Baseball
Ice Hockey
Blades of Steel
Pro Wrestling
gradius
Bionic Commando
Guerilla Wars
Iron Tank

Where's Metal Gear?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I'm bumping this thread...

1. because I missed it before.
  2. because I need to brag that I can complete Ninja Gaiden (and have done so recently).

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I'm bumping this thread...

1. because I missed it before.
  2. because I need to brag that I can complete Ninja Gaiden (and have done so recently).

Without the "slow down" controller or any other trick? I did have to use the "slow down" controller to beat the final boss.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Where the term "Beast Mode" originated. :D

2368989-genesis_alteredbeast.jpg

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Without the "slow down" controller or any other trick? I did have to use the "slow down" controller to beat the final boss.
???

I thought there's maybe a couple games ever that work correctly with a slow-mo controller (the type of controller that rapidly auto-fires the start/pause button). It's a 50/50 chance that you'll press an action button like jump or attack while the game is paused and it won't register the button-down event. So, no, I don't use turbo...though I *do* use an NES Advantage joystick that has turbo capability, the turbo functions stay off because they don't help me.

My only trick is to die on Jaquio's second form and fight my way back, preserving the last spin-slash item without collecting any other item that would replace it. It defeats Jaquio in 1-2 hits. You lose the item when you have to fight the next form. I can do that one without the item cheat, but I usually die there and have to replay the last third of the game for a third time to get back to him. I've got most of the enemy patterns down pretty well, so it's not very difficult for me to play my way back to Jaquio from Malth ("Mars?") a few times.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Most of these are available as downloadable titles. Or have been remastered, remade, updated.

Bubble Bobble
Contra
Adventures of Lolo
Castlevania
Lode Runner

25 and I've played 5/10.

What a terrible list... (missing are:)
Donkey Kong
Space Invaders
Empire Strikes Back
River Raid
Asteroids
Pitfall
Defender
Frogger
Berzerk
Yars Revenge

Super Mario Bothers 3
The Legend of Zelda
Mike Tysons Punchout
Super Tecmo Bowl
RBI Baseball
Ice Hockey
Blades of Steel
Pro Wrestling
gradius
Bionic Commando
Guerilla Wars
Iron Tank

The point is never played. Everyone knows Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, etcetcetcetc.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
???

I thought there's maybe a couple games ever that work correctly with a slow-mo controller (the type of controller that rapidly auto-fires the start/pause button). It's a 50/50 chance that you'll press an action button like jump or attack while the game is paused and it won't register the button-down event. So, no, I don't use turbo...though I *do* use an NES Advantage joystick that has turbo capability, the turbo functions stay off because they don't help me.

My only trick is to die on Jaquio's second form and fight my way back, preserving the last spin-slash item without collecting any other item that would replace it. It defeats Jaquio in 1-2 hits. You lose the item when you have to fight the next form. I can do that one without the item cheat, but I usually die there and have to replay the last third of the game for a third time to get back to him. I've got most of the enemy patterns down pretty well, so it's not very difficult for me to play my way back to Jaquio from Malth ("Mars?") a few times.

This is what I am talking about, the slow button to slow down the whole game when I faced the final boss in Ninja Gaiden on the NES. I think it was $50 or so then (a lot of money for a young buck like me then).

NES-advantage.jpg

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
This is what I am talking about, the slow button to slow down the whole game when I faced the final boss in Ninja Gaiden on the NES. I think it was $50 or so then (a lot of money for a young buck like me then).

NES-advantage.jpg

I have one of those sitting in my closet. Only way I could beat Back to the Future.